• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Beauty and the Beach ~ Deluxe Edition

I'm here!! :yay: Better late than never, right?! :goodvibes Dang work is always getting in the way of my DIS time!! :rotfl:

Great PTR, can't wait for more. . . popcorn::

I'm here!! :yay: Better late than never, right?! :goodvibes Dang work is always getting in the way of my DIS time!! :rotfl:

Great PTR, can't wait for more. . . popcorn::

Hi Shelly!!! :wave2:
Glad you made it!!! Don't worry you didn't miss much. I won't be doing much posting this weekend as I'm leaving in about an hour and a half for my girls' getaway. Won't have my computer, just my iPhone, and it's hard to post from there.
Those dang jobs - don't you hate how they interfere with DISing?? :laughing:

Love the plans Sheree!!! :thumbsup2

Did you try calling Delta about the change in your flights?? When I called Sun Country about our changes they gave us vouchers because I caught the change before they could notify me!! Now we have $400 to put toward another flight! We are thinking MAYBE end of January/beginning of February again! The vouchers are good until February 11th!

How was your girls getaway weekend?? We LOVE Duluth! Where did y'all stay?? What did you do?? Did you get ice cream from the cold Stone?? Hope you had a great time!!! :goodvibes

Love the plans Sheree!!! :thumbsup2

Did you try calling Delta about the change in your flights?? When I called Sun Country about our changes they gave us vouchers because I caught the change before they could notify me!! Now we have $400 to put toward another flight! We are thinking MAYBE end of January/beginning of February again! The vouchers are good until February 11th!

How was your girls getaway weekend?? We LOVE Duluth! Where did y'all stay?? What did you do?? Did you get ice cream from the cold Stone?? Hope you had a great time!!! :goodvibes

Hi Kim!!! My weekend was great - I'll do a mini update about it! I have not called Delta. I think I'll do that tomorrow and give them some grief and see what happens. It is an okay change, but still have not heard from them via email. I hope you can use them for another Disney trip!!!

I'm back from my weekend away! We had so much fun. So I'm going to tell you all about it!!
Three of my friends and I met at my house around 4 on Friday afternoon. Packed up an SUV and said goodbye to the girls and DH. By 6:30/7 we arrived at the Canal Park Lodge in Duluth - right on Lake Superior. It's a newer hotel, very outdoorsy/rustic themed, kind of like Wilderness Lodge. We checked in, dumped our stuff and walked to a restaurant called Little Angie's Mexican Cantina. It was super crowded, so we waited about 15-20 minutes at the bar. The reason everything was crowded was because the MN Democratic party convention was going on in Duluth this weekend along with a couple smaller conventions. So there were a gazillion Democrats roaming the area! Had a wonderful meal there, headed back to our room and had some drinks and a lot of laughs! Just hanging out.
Saturday morning we leisurely got up - two of the girls hit the gym (not me!). Then went shopping. It was pretty cold and windy, so it wasn't the best for walking around outside, but we're from MN and we're a hardy lot! It was really fun! I didn't buy much, just a Christmas ornament each for the girls with their names on them. They have really neat shops there, unique, some are art, clothes, kids, toys, candy, antiques, kitchen.
So then we went to lunch at Grandma's. Not any of OUR grandma's...It's the name of the restaurant. The same company owns the three restaurants we ate at! They also started Grandma's Marathon that is run every June in Duluth (or they sponsor it whatever!). Since it was so cold, we were all in the mood for soup. They are known for chicken wild rice soup, so I had a cup of that, and shared a steak sandwich with one of the girls. I almost felt like I should take pictures of the food - but I didn't. My friends were already laughing about my Disney obsession! I had two bags with me - both were Disney bags!

We headed back to the hotel, spent a little more time in the room, relaxing, drinking wine and then we video called our friend who had recently moved to London. We talked with her for about an hour. We had dinner reservations at Bellisio, an Italian restaurant. DH and I had been there before and it's wonderful!!! Big wine selection and great food! We recognized one of our senators, Al Franken at a table near us. You may have heard of him - he ran against Norm Coleman and they had to recount and it went to court and took about a year to resolve. Blah, blah.
After dinner - it was really raining and windy. We had to practically run with our umbrellas going inside out! After we ran three blocks or so back to the hotel - I headed to the hot tub!! It felt so good!! Back in the room, we had more laughs and talks. It really was great fun!
My one friend had been divorced a couple of years and just before Easter, she and her kids and BF went to Mexico. Without telling anyone ahead of time, they got married while they were there! So we wanted to celebrate and we toasted to her and her new husband. We all just had a blast.
Then this morning - our check out time wasn't until noon. So we went to breakfast, and decided to brave the winds and go for a power walk. OH MY GOSH was it windy!!! We walked along the lakeshore on the boardwalk. My one friend and I turned back early and came back to the pool and hot tub. Much better! Then we packed up, said goodbye to the democrats (they were leaving too) and Duluth and headed home. We got home around 1:45. DH and the girls were just going to go get lunch, so we headed out and did a few little errands. We needed some lighter colored Twins shirts. It was too hot in the sun with dark blue shirts! So we found some pink ones! The girls got pink visors too.
While I was gone, DH put up the new light fixture in the bathroom that we remodeled and the girls went through their books to get rid of some that they have "outgrown". It was a great weekend, and now I'm catching up on my DISing and marking garage sale stuff. Back to reality.

Oh - and Kim - I did not get ice cream from Cold Stone. It was just TOO COLD. We do have them here by us, so it's okay.

Sounds like a fun weekend despite the cold weather.
I hope the democrats were behaving themselves....
:laughing:

Sounds like you had a great weekend Sheree. I'd love to be able to hang out with my friends for weekend like that. Some of my teammates are planning a trip to Cedar Point for Memorial Day weekend, but I can't join them. :sad1: I have a bridal shower that Saturday and then my students have a mini performance on that Sunday. What a bummer! I LOVE Cedar Point!

WHAT AN AWESOME WEEKEND!!!!! :cool1: I :love: Canal Park!! My mom has run Grandma's Marathon about a bazillion times so I know that area well!!! Canal park is the finish point of the MArathon! Ken ran it 3x as well!!! I love Grandma's Restaurant - they have THE BEST burgers there!! :) I haven't had the pleasure of a COLD STONE yet but I must have one this summer!!!

So glad you had a great time! We LOVE Duluth!!! :thumbsup2

Sounds like a fun weekend despite the cold weather.
I hope the democrats were behaving themselves....:laughing:
Well, actually, it was pretty quiet at the hotel despite the democrats! We were probably the loud ones!

glad you had a good weekend! I need to have a garage sale...just hate to think about doing it!
It was so fun! I'm purging my house with this sale! Every night while DISing or watching TV I mark more stuff. I hope it goes. If I don't sell it, most of it will be donated.

I made it! Better late than never, right?
YAY! Hi Mindy!! Glad you're here too!

Sounds like you had a great weekend Sheree. I'd love to be able to hang out with my friends for weekend like that. Some of my teammates are planning a trip to Cedar Point for Memorial Day weekend, but I can't join them. :sad1: I have a bridal shower that Saturday and then my students have a mini performance on that Sunday. What a bummer! I LOVE Cedar Point!
I'm sad for you that you will miss a fun weekend with friends, but it sounds like you have other fun stuff too! I really enjoy my girls' weekends. It sort of rejuvenates me and makes me miss my family just enough! I've never gone for more than 3 nights.

WHAT AN AWESOME WEEKEND!!!!! :cool1: I :love: Canal Park!! My mom has run Grandma's Marathon about a bazillion times so I know that area well!!! Canal park is the finish point of the MArathon! Ken ran it 3x as well!!! I love Grandma's Restaurant - they have THE BEST burgers there!! :) I haven't had the pleasure of a COLD STONE yet but I must have one this summer!!!

So glad you had a great time! We LOVE Duluth!!! :thumbsup2

Canal Park is just so cool. I love the shops and restaurants. Our plan was to only eat at places we don't have at home and that was pretty easy. Except Caribou coffee. One of my friends that I was with has run Grandma's too. We watched her! How cool that both your mom and Ken have done it! I don't think I could BIKE 26.2 miles!!! :laughing:

I have still been kind of annoyed about Delta changing my flight and not telling me. So yesterday I called. The lady I spoke with was really nice and she went through the history and discovered that the flight was changed THE DAY I LOOKED!! Since I confirmed the flight online right away, they did not call or email me. Had I not done so, they would have called me. She verified my contact info and told me that if they make any changes, they will call. I think I'm still going to check periodically just for my own piece of mind.

Last night Sarah had a concert at school. They sang some really cute songs and she had a part where she had to read a couple sentences about the Constitution requiring us to take a census and how our families started out in different countries, but we're all here in the USA! She did great and it was cool that she had that part because my dad actually did come here from another country. He and my mom came to the concert. Most of the time Sarah just stood there, singing and biting her lip, acting bored. At the very beginning, she smiled and posed for a picture though. Once I download, I'll post one.

Today is HOT TUB day!!! It's being brought over to our house this morning as I type! Don't know if we will get it hooked up with the electric etc. right away. I hope by the weekend!

Have any of you ever rented a car onsite at Disney? I remember my parents did when they came with us in 2004. I wonder if I can use coupons/discounts if I go through Alamo at the Swan/Dolphin?

We haven't rented a car, but you know what I was wondering? If I should just fork out $40 bucks each way and get a taxi to and from MCO.....I am soooo sick of standing in that Magical Express line after the flight...then waiting on the other resort drop offs...what do you think? I am gonna put it on our other thread too...

We haven't rented a car, but you know what I was wondering? If I should just fork out $40 bucks each way and get a taxi to and from MCO.....I am soooo sick of standing in that Magical Express line after the flight...then waiting on the other resort drop offs...what do you think? I am gonna put it on our other thread too...

I have heard the DIS unplugged podcast crew say to never take a taxi, the people are really nasty, bad drivers and may not be very nice if you KWIM. On a recent podcast they talked about transporation and I can't remember who they recommended besides ME. Apparently most of the companies for town cars etc. are owned by Mears. DIS has one that is a sponsor of the boards, so I assume they would be recommended. We've had good luck with ME so far. Usually it's not a very busy time though. I'm too cheap anyway. If it's free, I'll take it!

We've done Mears and taxi cabs...you can tell it ain't the Disney magic with those cabbies...but...also, the ME takes you back to the airport soooo early! We just sit there for over 2 hours each time...I am all for getting there early, but geez!!! We are ready to scream by then!! ha!! I am cheap about stuff like that too...but I have till Nov to save for it...Disney and Passporter people recommend that one shuttle company...can't remember their name, but they are the ones who do the limos...I think that would be sooooo fun!!!!

Hooray for hot tub day!!!!!! What time should I be by? :rotfl:

Sorry to hear your work friends aren't Disney addicts. I can't wait to call and make ressies for next year and be told to have a magical day! :goodvibes

Sounds like your weekend was lots of fun!

The hot tub is in!!! :banana::cool1::woohoo::yay:
DH just needs to figure out the wiring hookups and run some cable to the shed etc. Should be up and running by the weekend!! COME ON OVER!!
He texted me a picture of it and when I called he said that he cleaned it out. Actually our neighbor cleaned it. She is also our cleaning lady! She knows what she's doing!
I wish I didn't have to work today! But I can't exactly use it yet, so I guess it doesn't matter.

I suppose one of these days I should talk about our plans some more, eh? (that was for you NDG!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter