Beach Club tunnel vision - Help!

In normal times, 7 months is *usually* available if you're on at 8am on the right day. For the next year or 2, it's going to be difficult. All the banked points are flooding in and there's a lot more gray than blue on the calendar heading into spring 2022.
This is definitely going to be an issue the next few years, but I agree that depending on when you go, booking BCV at 7 months can be challenging, but it’s not impossible. For this summer, I booked 5 nights and waitlisted the 6th. My waitlist came through the following day, so I’m in at BCV for 6 nights. I own a 50 point contract at BWV and primarily bought it because of the price difference and the BWV point chart. If I want, I can go for 3 nights a year at BWV in a standard studio during the summer with points to spare. To me, that’s the beauty of a BWV contract.

In normal times, 7 months is *usually* available if you're on at 8am on the right day. For the next year or 2, it's going to be difficult. All the banked points are flooding in and there's a lot more gray than blue on the calendar heading into spring 2022.

You're 100% correct. But we also booked 6 nights at BCV this June at only about 90 days out with strategic waitlisting. All has to do with how much work you want to put into it. For us 2042 resorts were 100% off of our potential purchase list(we are in our early 40s).

You're 100% correct. But we also booked 6 nights at BCV this June at only about 90 days out with strategic waitlisting. All has to do with how much work you want to put into it. For us 2042 resorts were 100% off of our potential purchase list(we are in our early 40s).

This is me exactly. I want to buy BCV so bad but I just can’t get over the 2042 end date since I’m also in my early 40s. If I were 15+ years older, I’d be all over it.

We just stayed 3 nights in a 1BR in mid-April. I’m sure it was a cancelation left open. However, I’d love to be able to book there again, even if it’s in a 1BR. Also, I don’t care about a split stay. We loved Stormalong Bay and that convenience factor for Flower and Garden was amazing.

Waitlists and stalking will always be effective, but there seems to be a significant drop in availability in just the last couple of months (almost certainly correlated with vaccinations). I stayed 8 nights in a CCV studio last month, booked less than 2 months prior. That looks like a pipe dream now vs. just a few months ago.

This is me exactly. I want to buy BCV so bad but I just can’t get over the 2042 end date since I’m also in my early 40s. If I were 15+ years older, I’d be all over it.

We just stayed 3 nights in a 1BR in mid-April. I’m sure it was a cancelation left open. However, I’d love to be able to book there again, even if it’s in a 1BR. Also, I don’t care about a split stay. We loved Stormalong Bay and that convenience factor for Flower and Garden was amazing.

I had the same though (bought in 2015-2016) but am glad I disregarded that concern. Even today, you're still prepaying for 20 years of vacations, and prices are bound to get worse until just the last couple of years. (I don't want to start yet another extended "what will happen in 2042" debate.... just saying I'd still buy today even if the property ceased to exist entirely in 2042.)

I had the same though (bought in 2015-2016) but am glad I disregarded that concern. Even today, you're still prepaying for 20 years of vacations, and prices are bound to get worse until just the last couple of years. (I don't want to start yet another extended "what will happen in 2042" debate.... just saying I'd still buy today even if the property ceased to exist entirely in 2042.)

Yeah, that’s certainly a thought process I’ve considered, but right now, I’m just having trouble getting past it. If I bought resale for a 2042 resort, it would definitely be BCV.

Yeah, that’s certainly a thought process I’ve considered, but right now, I’m just having trouble getting past it. If I bought resale for a 2042 resort, it would definitely be BCV.

Oh you're buying DIRECT... yeah, $245 a point is a tough pill to swallow! Keep in mind that it's still a *little* cheaper than RIV though if you cross reference the point chart.

Waitlists and stalking will always be effective, but there seems to be a significant drop in availability in just the last couple of months (almost certainly correlated with vaccinations). I stayed 8 nights in a CCV studio last month, booked less than 2 months prior. That looks like a pipe dream now vs. just a few months ago.

agreed.

Up until the last couple months -- it had been beyond easy to book things since they opened back up in July 2020. Now it is a bloodbath.

And that goes for park reservations as well. Holy cow. I forgot to book two days for our June trip b/c I couldn't decide a month ago and thought we'd wing those last two days. Well -- as of yesterday (30 days out) -- my decision was made up for me (EPCOT). Hopefully we can just scan in and park hop in the evening if my kids get sick of that. otherwise, I might be adding water park passes. haha

I'm just having a hard time justifying the prices right now vis-a-vis renting. With MFs being around $8 for BCV/BWV -- the buy-in costs for BCV add another $7-$8 per year (not even counting the time value of money). So even with bad math, the price is $15-$16 per point just to own BCV. When factoring in TVM, it's closer to $20-$25 a point depending on discount factor.

Needless to say -- if you can find someone willing to rent out or transfer at $15 a point -- you are better off doing that (financially speaking).

Oh you're buying DIRECT... yeah, $245 a point is a tough pill to swallow! Keep in mind that it's still a *little* cheaper than RIV though if you cross reference the point chart.

haha…I wish knew what I was buying next. There’s so many great debates and reasons for all resorts. I haven’t been to all, but I have yet to see one I wouldn’t stay at nor one that doesn’t have something positive going for it. I think the 2042 thing would bother my neurotic mind more than a practical sense. I could see me worrying about the next 21 years and getting nostalgic every time. Only 21, 20, 19 more years. I’m probably going to retire in 20 years and move to Orlando anyhow, so there is that side too.

I echo this sentiment. We own at BLT, but my wife loves BCV and I'm very tempted to own at a resort that is easy walking distance to Epcot (BCV/BWV). I just just can't get over the fact I'll be pouring $$$ into a resort that could literally be worth $0 at a time that I hope to still have some good/active years left in me (i'm in my 40s). And it would eat at me every year when the inevitable January 2042 reality sets in and the market begins to decline. I kinda wish DVC would tip it's hand on whether they intend to sell extensions. If they did however, the inevitable surge in pricing (both resale and direct) would probably put this property out of reach (at least for me) anyway!

I echo this sentiment. We own at BLT, but my wife loves BCV and I'm very tempted to own at a resort that is easy walking distance to Epcot (BCV/BWV). I just just can't get over the fact I'll be pouring $$$ into a resort that could literally be worth $0 at a time that I hope to still have some good/active years left in me (i'm in my 40s). And it would eat at me every year when the inevitable January 2042 reality sets in and the market begins to decline. I kinda wish DVC would tip it's hand on whether they intend to sell extensions. If they did however, the inevitable surge in pricing (both resale and direct) would probably put this property out of reach (at least for me) anyway!
I totally get it. I've gone back and forth for YEARS over BCV. I LOVE it, but I didn't want a 2042. I finally realized on our last trip that I was sick of blowing money on Beach Club cash reservations, or otherwise being frustrated during the festival trips that I wasn't staying there. AP room rates have been good, but I don't think they stay so low after Remy opens and the EPCOT refurb is complete. Ultimately, I asked myself what frustrated me more - the idea of possibly not breaking completely even on a small DVC contract or the frustration of not staying where I really wanted to stay on vacation?

We finally bit the bullet this past week on a resale contract. Everyone says to buy where you want to stay. I may only get 40 weekends there over the next 20 years, but I'm going to enjoy every minute of them knowing they are paid for. To soften the blow, we bought double the points we needed so we can rent out half to cover the dues each year.

I totally get it. I've gone back and forth for YEARS over BCV. I LOVE it, but I didn't want a 2042. I finally realized on our last trip that I was sick of blowing money on Beach Club cash reservations, or otherwise being frustrated during the festival trips that I wasn't staying there. AP room rates have been good, but I don't think they stay so low after Remy opens and the EPCOT refurb is complete. Ultimately, I asked myself what frustrated me more - the idea of possibly not breaking completely even on a small DVC contract or the frustration of not staying where I really wanted to stay on vacation?

We finally bit the bullet this past week on a resale contract. Everyone says to buy where you want to stay. I may only get 40 weekends there over the next 20 years, but I'm going to enjoy every minute of them knowing they are paid for. To soften the blow, we bought double the points we needed so we can rent out half to cover the dues each year.
And the other thing is- it doesn’t have to be horrible as the expirations approach in 2042. There will be other stuff to choose from at that point and you’ll be ‘free’ and unattached to pick from the new. I heard that works great during midlife crisis lol 🤣

I still think people are very hung up on 2042. That's still >20 years away, and you're still locking in today's price. If the prices actually went UP during covid, that doesn't bode well for anyone hoping they'll back off in the future. Obviously an economic crash could cause that to an extent, but still. And none of this factors in the value of 20 years of enjoyment. I even considered the 2042 expiration back in mid 2015 when I bought, but ultimately; I'd rather have 25 years of what we want than 50 years of what I can live with.

I talk to a lot of people at SAB that spent a night or 2 at SSR since they couldn't get all the days at BCV. Those conversations make me glad I pulled the trigger on BCV contracts despite the extra cost.

And the other thing is- it doesn’t have to be horrible as the expirations approach in 2042. There will be other stuff to choose from at that point and you’ll be ‘free’ and unattached to pick from the new. I heard that works great during midlife crisis lol 🤣

I'm buying CCV if I'm still alive in 2042. Or maybe Reflections will be done by then!

We own a direct contract (155 points) at HH. In the past, we owned at BCV and VWL as well. We are pretty locked into BCV as our resort for a new resale contract purchase (170-220 points). HOWEVER, should I be willing to buy at Boardwalk if we really enjoy having the ability to book BCV 7+ months out? I can get locked into an idea and I'm hopeful you all might speak into my situation. We've used our HH points plenty of times at BCV. Of course, it's always "I hope I can get what we want at 7 months out". Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. We could get more points for less at BWV and still be in the Epcot resort area which is our favorite. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.
I think you answered your own question. It sounds like you prefer BCV and are already aware that you may not be able to book there at 7 months. The worst thing would be to spend all that money on a BWV contract and constantly regret it because you can't stay where you truly want to be. I would say get the BCV contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter