Beach Club Birthday Bash!!!! Oct. 10 – 15, 2011 (Picture Infused!!!)

I just realized I forgot to subscribe and missed some of your updates! bad Diser! :D

The pics from Crystal Palace are funny! "I want Tigger!" "Ahh! Giant Tigger!" On the Keys to the Kingdom tour the tour guides spoke about this, apparently the poor characters have some really rough days.

I hate to say it again, but I can't help it... I love these photographs!

Scott -

I've been a fan of your POTD posts for awhile and am enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us! Samantha is growing up fast. I remember when you posted the first pic of her a year ago :)

As always, you do an incredible job of taking the "ordinary" Disney shot and making it extraoridinary!

Great photos of the Fantasyland expansion as well - it's fun to see the progress.

What a lovely family you have! I am enjoying your pictures so much; they are truly amazing. I've never stayed at the Beach Club, but am considering it for my 50th birthday trip next year. I've subbed so I don't miss any of your wonderful shots.

Thanks for the great comments everyone!!!!! :thumbsup2

Scott -

I've been a fan of your POTD posts for awhile and am enjoying your trip report. Thanks for sharing your beautiful family with us! Samantha is growing up fast. I remember when you posted the first pic of her a year ago :)

As always, you do an incredible job of taking the "ordinary" Disney shot and making it extraoridinary!

Great photos of the Fantasyland expansion as well - it's fun to see the progress.

Yes, a little too fast. :sad1:

;)

Day 3: It's A Small World

IMG_0330 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0337 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So Wednesday's breakfast was at the Cape May Cafe, which is located at the Beach Club. We had reservations for 10:55(?), but were able to get in at around 9:30. Our visitors today would be: Donald Duck, Minnie Mouse, and Goofy. As far as the characters were concerned, things went a little smoother with our DD than at Crystal Palace (see Day 2). The food here was pretty much on par with Crystal Palace; and like Crystal Palace, they also had an amazing bread pudding.... but of the French toast persuasion. ;)

IMG_0356 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0366 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0375 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0383 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0387 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0389 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So after breakfast, we decide to just take a walk and check out some things around the resort. But before our little stroll, we head to the BC Marketplace to fill up our mugs. And as a complete surprise, I actually run into fellow Flickrite, Random Things (Jen C.); whom I’ve never met in-person before. She noticed the camera hanging around me, and also my wife and daughter (whom I occasionally talk about and show pictures of), and asked "If I was Scott". I originally thought "Is this someone from the Dis???"; but yet she kinda looked familiar (I have yet to actually meet a DISer who isn’t also on Flickr). She then mentioned Flickr and my Human Element group. And when she mentioned her name, I definitely knew who she was. I actually said "Oh, Yeah!!!" out loud, after that realization. I hope she didn't think I was just saying that; because I do know of her and her great work. It then clicked on why she looked familiar to me at first. She used to have her picture...a close-up... as her Flickr avatar (See Jen, remembering that should be evidence enough). And ironically enough, I was even wearing the same shirt as in my Flickr avatar picture. But I thought that was a nice little run-in. I've never been spotted like that before. There was one DISer who might've seen me on a separate occasion, but didn't come up to me. His description of where I was and what I was doing kind of sounded like me though.

IMG_0397 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Truly enjoying your pics and TR! Glad to see there was an update - isn't it fun to run into a fellow Dis'r or have someone recognize you? I met one back in 2008 during a stroller swap and she was so sweet. I spotted another gal staying at the same hotel as me (BWV) but was too shy to say hello. How silly of me, right?

Cape May is perfect for little ones - we took my DGS on our last day of his first visit in Dec 2008 when he was 14 mos old and he had a blast. He's in my avatar pic. Can't wait to read more!

IMG_0409 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So after our tour and a little nap, we headed to Stormalong Bay for some more family fun. We pretty much just hung out like before; so nothing special to report. But my DD did find a little recess near some rocks that she was just enchanted with. It's kinda hard to accurately describe this spot; but most would totally look past this as anything that would be interesting. Gotta love the toddler view of the world!!!! Actually, after thinking back on this moment, I realized that this will probably be one of this little moments that we’ll always remember. I can see us visiting the resort even years from now, and being like “when you were only 1, you used to love that little nook in the rocks over there”.

Her little nook….
IMG_0417 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0422 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Watcher by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0428 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0434 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A creepy spider we saw on the way to Epcot..
IMG_0442 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

For dinner that night, we decided to hit up Epcot. Now with Food & Wine going-on, my mind is totally set on trying a couple of the special offerings. I'm someone who can be completely happy with not having a complete meal, if circumstances prohibit it. My wife is not of that mindset. So we make our way to The Land to possible grab a full meal. My wife instantly knows what she wants, while I kinda just wander around thinking if I REALLY want something there. With my brain completely focused on what I could possibly get at F&W, I decide not to get anything at the Garden Grill. Plus, my wife always has a little something left over when she eats there, so I just use those leftovers to tide myself over. (I went a little overboard with all the ‘overs’ in that sentence.)

IMG_0453 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0457 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0459 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So back to World Showcase to visit a couple of the booths on the way back to the resort. This year, I figured that I'd use that little F&W gift card to make my food purchases. Just seemed a lot easier to deal with, and actually helped to keep me budgeted (which I didn't necessarily plan to do). We took the short path back to the resort (from Canada to the U.K., and just stopped at 2 of the places along the way (well, 1 along the way, and the other just a little past). But I got the Lobster & Scallop Fisherman's pie from Ireland, and the Coq au Vin sur Gratin de Macaroni (Red Wine Braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Pearl Onions and Macaroni Gratin) from France. They were both pretty good, and surprisingly pretty hearty. So I was definitely happy. Again, I wasn't full at all. But I was content. So that was all that mattered.

IMG_0476 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Like the previous 2 nights, this is another one (and the last one) that would be dedicated to photography. Epcot was having Extra Magic Hours that night, so I definitely felt the need to walk over (WALK over.... HA!!!.... gotta love it) and take advantage of the opportunity. To keep away from the crowds, I got there at 9:30, and stayed until about 11:45. And in this 2 hour span, I made the long trek from France to Italy. I don't know how efficient other people are at night shooting, but it's not something I do a lot of. Doing different setups for just slightly different angles can take some time. Heck, in the daytime, I could easily make my way through all of Epcot in those same 2 hours. But like I said, since I don't shoot the parks at night often enough, I really try to tackle some of the countries pretty hard. I'd rather spend more time in one area trying to "perfect" my vision, than to run around just grabbing quick shots from all over the place (remember that glass from the bridge that I mentioned!?!?! Sheesh!!!). That extra time goes a long way into making a shot a true keeper, rather than something that I think is just 'ok'. Even in those 2 hours, most of my time was spent in France and Italy. So on the way back to my room, I make a quick stop at the ‘Quiet Pool’ of the Beach Club. This area is actually open 24 hours; so it would’ve been hard for me to pass up the chance to get at least a couple of shots. The pool isn’t really anything fancy, but the rooms surrounding it made for a nice setting. So this was a pleasant little stop.

IMG_0491 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0495 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0500 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Gate by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0517 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0526 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

End of the Shift by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0568 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0587 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Beautiful night shots! Great success from just 2 hours of shooting. My favorite is the end of shift shot - could be in your Human Element collection :)

OMG!!!!! Your photos are AMAZING!!!!! We stayed at the YC at the end of September and fell in love with it. Your pictures of the resort are breathtaking! Thanks soooo much for doing a trip report. It makes me want to go back as soon as possible.

Beautiful night shots! Great success from just 2 hours of shooting. My favorite is the end of shift shot - could be in your Human Element collection :)

OMG!!!!! Your photos are AMAZING!!!!! We stayed at the YC at the end of September and fell in love with it. Your pictures of the resort are breathtaking! Thanks soooo much for doing a trip report. It makes me want to go back as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot!!!! And i definitely plan on using that End of the Shift picture for my Human Element Collection. ;)

wow your photos are stunning!! especially love the night shots of the boardwalk and epcot, and image 0397 is SO CUTE!!!!!!! :lovestruc

we're staying at the Beach Club next November 2012 which will be my first ever trip to the world of Disney, and my honeymoon :cutie: so especially loving all your beach club shots, they're making us so pleased and excited that we booked at this resort :yay:

can't wait to see more!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm really late to the party! Not to be a copycat or anything but...

LOVE YOUR PHOTOS!!!

I came over from the Universal Picture of the Day Thread when I saw your family's birthday celebration was at my favorite resort.

Your daughter is so cute! I love the story about her and Dumbo. It is never easy to say goodbye to a beloved elephant.

I was amused that you accidentally made it to rope drop! Good call on taking the bus from BC to MK. If you drive, you need to park at the TTC and then either take the monorail or ferry to the entrance.

Love the interactions at the character breakfasts. You never quite know how that will turn out with a 1 year old.

I hardly ever come over & read TRs. However, I am glad I read yours!

Your pictures are wonderful and your DD is adorable! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing! :)

TC :cool1:

Now that the Holidays are done, it's time to get this back on track!!!!!

Day 4: The Extended Stay Program

IMG_0592 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0596 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So, our final character meal (scheduled up to this point anyway) is at 1900 Park Fare; which is located at the Grand Floridian. This was my first time dining there. In fact, I never even knew about it before this trip (it's amazing all the "new wonders" you experience when you become a parent). During this morning, we would be dining with Mary Poppins, the Mad Hatter, Alice, Tigger, and Pooh. Food-wise, this was probably the better of the 3 breakfasts we attended. The eggs benedict with lobster sauce was a fitting menu item for this flagship character breakfast. And you can't go wrong with a carving station of freshly sliced ham.

But the food wasn't the only unique part of our experience here. This was the first time our DD (1) actually got really scared of a character. She was not mad about the Mad Hatter.... at all!!!! Seeing him from a couple tables over, she had no real reaction. But once he started to approach us.... Oh buddy!!!! She didn't want anything to do with him. Not sure if it was the big nose or the big hat, but she was not a fan. He even knelt down to her level and tried to make her smile; but she wasn't havin' it. But true to Mad Hatter form, he perfectly just accepted it; and in his words pronounced, “Well, I know where I’m not wanted". Poor little Hatty even cried himself (terrific performamce... BRAVO!!). And from that point on, my daughter kept a constant eye on him, to make sure he wasn't coming back. Made me think of the phrase, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

Other than that, everything else was quite nice. Also, for anyone who might attend, don't forget to check out 1900 Park Fare's Mary Poppins topiary that is outside. I probably wouldn't have seen it if I didn't have to park the stroller out there. But it seemed like a nice little secret that most would never know about. Just so you know, it’s right outside of the doors to where you get your photo taken.

IMG_0606 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0600 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0608 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0618 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

"Something's Quite Peculiar Here" by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0630 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Solarium by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After breakfast, we decide to head back to the resort. The weather wasn’t all that great this morning, so a little bit of relaxation (A.K.A. napping) was in order. Because it was somewhat early, our room was still in the process of being cleaned for the day. Not knowing where to really go, I suggested to maybe going down to check out the Solarium. During previous days of the trip, I mentioned a couple of times how I wanted to get a picture of the sign at the entrance of the Solarium, including the hall that leads back to the common area. I probably mentioned that more than a couple of times, because my wife thought that I was obsessed with the Solarium, for some strange reason. But I was just photography obsessed.

This would also be the first time we took a real look at what was really back there. Normally passing by this way, you only get a glimpse down the little hall that I mentioned. You can’t see the rest of the area. But this was the perfect spot to just chill and relax for a bit. There is such an inviting look to the room, and comfortable seating is everywhere. There is also a nice sized television, conveniently tuned to the Disney Channel. So while my daughter was watching the many adventures of Oso, my wife and I just relaxed a little (i.e. she played on her phone a bit, while I walked around looking for photo ops). We were also the only ones in the Solarium; so I’m not sure how crowded it usually gets in there. There were a few people that passed through, to get to the Beach Club Villas; but that was about it.

IMG_0648 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Comforts Of by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Disney Prestige Collection - Relaxationville by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

That little Solarium time-out was indicative of how our remaining days would be measured. We just took it easy. The beauty of being local. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter