Beach Club Birthday Bash!!!! Oct. 10 – 15, 2011 (Picture Infused!!!)

SrisonS

... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name)
This will be my first "in-depth" trip report. Not my total first, because I've done a slight photo report for a Disney Magic cruise ( Here!!!! ). And "in-depth" because it might not be as detailed as some of the other reports here. But we'll see . ;)

Also a point to note..... We're Local!!!! We also have annual passes. So there will not be tons of adventure packed into every second of our trip. This is just our little StayCation of sorts. But I hope you enjoy reading through our little experience anyhow. And the 'We' are me (Scott - 31), my DW Mollie (a lady never tells.... A.k.A a smart husband never tells), and our DD Samantha(1).

We'll be checking in on Oct. 10, and checking out on Oct. 14. When did we book??? You'd have to ask the wife. How much did it cost??? Nunya.... as in nunya business. Plus, you'd also have to ask the wife (I like to keep my cringe moments at a minimum). We did score a nice little discount from her Cousin who’s a long time CM though. Every little bit helps.

This is our first stay at the Beach Club. We have had quick visits to the resort, in the past.... the chocolate carousel during the Holidays, and trying to conquer the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream. So this will be the first time to really see what the resort has to offer. This is also a combination celebration trip for our DD’s birthday (the 5th) and my wife’s birthday (the 25th)

So what do the locals look forward to when taking a Disney vacation??? Well, my wife absolutely can't wait to check out the 'Forbidden Pool' (and yes, some CM's refer to it as that). And on that pool note, I have to make a point to say 'Hello' to the pool manager, Christina. I actually work with her Aunt. We will also be doing a few characters meals that we haven't experienced before. And since I'm into photography, I'll be looking forward to doing some photo outings, especially at night. Other than that, we’ll just go with the flow, and have a stress-free week.

Day 1: Beach Club Bound

IMG_9952 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We checked-in online, the day before; so hopefully everything is nice and smooth for when we arrive. Check-in is around 3, but we might test our luck on our room being ready before then.

So it's 9 AM right now, and my wife is doing some final checks.... where our room will be located (we will have a pool or water view.... Couldn't get the less expensive view for some reason.). Also checking EMH's (I smell solo night shooting at the parks :) ). And our daughter is currently exploring the living room as she's just starting to do military crawls (those knees will be under her sooner or later... yes, she's a little of a late bloomer in the crawling world).

Alright, time to boogie!!!! So after a strenuous 35 minute drive with no traffic, we finally arrive a little after check-in time. James at the gate was a jerk; but everyone else we ran into during our process was quite nice. And yes, online check-in made things a lot easier. Now we head up to our room to check out our water view.... and WOW.... we really landed quite the spot!!!!! Looking out over the lake with a great head-on angle of the Boardwalk. Quite impressive!!!! We only have a standing balcony, which I’ve never experienced before. But it’s still nice anyway. Any time I’d spend out there would be by myself anyhow. So no biggie.

Our View!!!!!!!

A View To A Kill...er Boardwalk by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

A few pics of the room....

IMG_9909 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9906 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9949 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

And a quick note on those birthday buttons: Just from our experience during the past week or 2, not all CM's are versed in the Art of Button writing. It would be nice if the ones that hand them out daily knew about just little details here and there; but some don't write anything at all. This one was done during check-in. And we also had one beautifully done up at Guest Services, in the MK Main Street hub. But at Chef Mickey's the week before, they were hesitant to even just write the name at all. We finally got someone there to do it, but there was no razzle dazzle, and it was just very plain writing..... and off-centered at that (the reason we had one made at MK). To complicate this button quest story a little more: The reason we even asked the Chef Mickey's CM to make one up, was because my mother-in-law picked up a button in the MK a few days before; and she had to fill it out herself.. WITH THEIR MARKER!!!!!!! We were thinking the Chef Mickey's crew could add that Disney touch. But no go. :sad2:

So we spend the rest of the day in quite a laid back manner. We take a walk around the Boardwalk.... we grab lunch at Beaches & Cream (the hot dogs are really good)... Our DD is making quite the impression on the people there.... We take a quick stroll around Epcot's World Showcase (I even promised to not take pictures; which is pretty hard for me to do)... My wife gets ice cream at Beaches.... My wife and daughter stick their feet in the pool for a few minutes.... We go back to the room to fully unpack (something we rarely do).... Then we get some rest. Well... Let me clarify that. My DW and DD go to bed, while I head out to play!!!! (i.e. Walk around and take pictures of the YC/BC/Boardwalk area) :)

IMG_9953 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9964 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9977 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9985 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So my idea for picture taking tonight is something I started doing with our stay at Port Orleans French Quarter, a few months ago. For the most part, it's a scouting mission. I do have my low light/nighttime lens (Sigma 30mm f/1.4) equipped for some handheld shots here and there. But I really wanna scope out areas to shoot from for when I bring out my tripod. Doing this split type of night shooting also keeps me from having to keep changing lenses during my outing. Which is something that can get very tiresome when you're really shooting on-the-fly and always going for different looks. So my scouting shoot is done around Midnight. Time to get some rest for our 1st character meal of the trip!!!

IMG_9995 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_9998 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0031 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0050 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0057 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Extra scouting pic added....

Low Angle Lighthouse by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IN!!!

Being a huge fan of your photographic style, I can't wait to see everything you captured.

I'm guessing this trip is why you didn't show for the 40th meet-up.

I am so into this TR! Love your pics - your daughter is absolutely adorable :love: I would love to borrow your pic of the view of the Boardwalk for my screensaver - pretty please?!!! I have stayed at BWV four times and on our last trip, we decided Beach Club was a must on our next trip. We usually rent points but weren't excited about the view from that side of the BC resort so may have to wait until we can score a great discount to hope for as good as view as you got.

Hey Scott,

Do you mind if I post a link to your trip report over on the Yacht Club/Beach Club FAQ thread? We would love to see it over there!

Thanks for doing a trip report. The pictures are great and your daughter is beyond cute!

~Marlton Mom

Thanks all!!!!!

IN!!!

Being a huge fan of your photographic style, I can't wait to see everything you captured.

I'm guessing this trip is why you didn't show for the 40th meet-up.

Actually, I wasn't there because we celebrating our DD's 1st birthday with family and friends (her bday is officially the 5th). Great timing, huh!?!?!

I am so into this TR! Love your pics - your daughter is absolutely adorable :love: I would love to borrow your pic of the view of the Boardwalk for my screensaver - pretty please?!!! I have stayed at BWV four times and on our last trip, we decided Beach Club was a must on our next trip. We usually rent points but weren't excited about the view from that side of the BC resort so may have to wait until we can score a great discount to hope for as good as view as you got.

Sure, use away!!!!!

Hey Scott,

Do you mind if I post a link to your trip report over on the Yacht Club/Beach Club FAQ thread? We would love to see it over there!

Thanks for doing a trip report. The pictures are great and your daughter is beyond cute!

~Marlton Mom

I don't mind it at all.

Day 2: Escape from the Hundred Acre Wood

IMG_0122 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Tuesday arrives, and we have a 10:30 appointment to meet Pooh and Friends for breakfast at Crystal Palace. So we wake up at 7:30, with no real pressure to get to Magic Kingdom for rope drop. But we're feelin' good, and NEVER make it for opening; so we decide "what the 'hey', let's get there early". So even without feeling like we're rushing, we actually leave the room after an hour.... and yes, that's with the 1 year old in tow. We were sort of thinking on driving, but my wife knows how I HATE dealing with the stroller when having to use the newer trams with the doors. So we opt on waiting for the bus. And as luck would have it, the bus is already there. We hop on; and after a quick stop at the Boardwalk Inn, we're on our way to the Magic Kingdom!!!

DD’s first ride on the Disney bus…
IMG_0128 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We make great time on arriving, and get through Security just as the opening ceremony is about to start. I've seen this ceremony a couple of times before, but it was nice to see my DD finally getting a chance to take it all in. She didn't really react to it, but it still kept her attention. I was even happy to catch it on video..... but would've been happier if the video camera lens wasn't fogged-up. :( I kinda thought something was up, while shooting the video; but I just thought it was the early morning light hitting the LCD screen in a weird way. And it sucks, because earlier that morning, I was constantly clearing the fog off or my regular camera.

Anyway.... We enter the park, and our mission is simple...... Dumbo and Peter Pan. Being local is great, because when the lines are too long, you know you can just try your luck another day. And Peter Pan is one of those rides we usually skip out on. It's always long, and it's not a really "fast moving” line. So it's almost always 'another dayer'. Sure, we could get FastPasses, but we more or less just like to go with the flow. No stressing out or staying very long. But with being in the park so early, there's no way we couldn't go on it. Next up, as mentioned, was our daughter's favorite ride (we think.... since she can't tell us); Dumbo. We had taken her on it for the first time, a week prior. And she just CRIED when she had to leave Dumbo behind. This time was no exception. (She's usually almost always incredibly happy, btw) She's at the moment in her young life where she starts to whine when something is taken from her. It's one thing if she's doing something inappropriate. But in the case of her Flying Elephant friend, it's a little heartbreaking. We figured that she probably likes this ride so much because it's one of the only ones she's been on where she can actively control something. She likes to move the lever up and down (with a little help from my wife), and just look around as she's flying through the air. So debarking the ride is like taking a huge toy from her, when she's properly enjoying it. And it's sad to see those tears run down that cute little face. :( [I'll gladly be taking donations for the Endless Elephant Encounter Fund… to give Samantha the chance to build her very own flying companion. ;) ]

IMG_0136 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0137 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Quick Note: This ride also gives the best views for the Fantasyland Expansion. So what if the Cast Members wonder why you keep riding Dumbo over and over…. and you’re a childless 40-year old!?!?! You’re a child at heart… that’s what you tell them.

IMG_0140 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0139 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0143 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Your pictures are amazing! I wish I had the skill (and patience) to set up shots like these.

Your daughter is adorable! Did she enjoy her ice cream at Beaches and Cream?

Can't wait to read more!

Your pictures are amazing! I wish I had the skill (and patience) to set up shots like these.

Your daughter is adorable! Did she enjoy her ice cream at Beaches and Cream?

Can't wait to read more!

Thanks!!!!

But she doesn't get her own ice cream yet. Every once in a while, we'll give her a taste though. And she already seems to really enjoy ice cream. We might have to watch out for her. ;)

IMG_0144 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Magic Kingdom: All You Can Shoot by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0146 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So our ADR is fast approaching; and it's time to head to Crystal Palace. We're summoned after only a couple of minutes, and now it's time to chow down!!! Most of the food wasn't anything extraordinary; but there was this Peach Cobbler bread pudding thing that was EXCELLENT, and the children's cinnamon French toast was quite nice as well.... and I'm talking about for me, not for my daughter. But the real fun occurred when the characters came around. Now my daughter has been exposed to the Disney in-person characters since she was a couple of months old, and has never had a problem with any of them. Even this day, when she would see them across the room, she would stare and point; as in happy anticipation of their arrival. But when they eventually came to our table, that's when the escape maneuvers were set in motion. She didn't totally dislike or fear them (Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore); but she didn't seem to want to be around them for very long. That is why this meal will now be referred to as "Escape From the Hundred Acre Wood"!!! I gotta admit though, this was a pretty amusing sight (little did we know that there would be even more character amusement, later in the trip). Poor Tigger got the worst of it. She gave him a couple of shoves, and also tried to throw a kick!!!! The guy at the table next to me even mentioned how that would be a classic set of shots. And as a true photog, I did manage to get some good evidence. I even showed that gentlemen the Tigger shot. I just hope I don’t sound like ‘one of those parents’, because I was so amused by what happened with Tigger. But at least she’s not 10 and doing this. She’s still a baby. So no real harm done.

The Evidence…….

IMG_0153 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0155 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0158 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0159 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0160 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0166 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0170 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Oh no!!!!! Not Him Again!!!!!

IMG_0171 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0172 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After spending just a little more time at the park, we head back to the hotel. My in-laws would be over soon, and we could finally get a chance to REALLY check out the Stormalong Bay pool. Access to this pool area is definitely restricted to guests of the Yacht & Beach Club. There are only a few entrance points, and they check room keys for each individual. They then give you a wrist band; and wrist band colors switch from day to day. But after a certain point in the evening (around 6’ish, perhaps), they no longer check keys; and pretty much anyone can enter. [Purposely omitted additional pool access info…. 3 guests…. 2 non-guests… shhhh!!!!] I'm not much of a swimmer (aka: I don't swim at all... I just walk around and bob in the water), but I quite enjoyed this outdoor pool complex. The water was a tad bit cooler than I expected, but the sand bottoms were a nice unique touch. There are 3 pools that make up Stormalong bay: the average one that goes about 5 ft at its deepest; a smaller lazy rizer type of pool, which goes to around 8 ft; then a children’s pool that’s about 4 ft(?) at the deep end, but goes to a nice wet sand area where people can sit and play. Near the main pool, lifeguards and other CM’s occasionally have different activities going on. There’s some music & dancing… Disney trivia… a Lifeguard dance line… some other stuff with big plastic building blocks (whatever they were working on seem to keep falling down, so I don’t know officially what they were trying to do)… etc… To wrap up the evening, we grab ice cream at Beaches & Cream, and spent a little more poolside time with some other local family members. Now back to the room for us.... but back for another nighttime photo outing for me. Oooo... And on a quick note, the New England Clam Chowder at the Beach Club Marketplace is REALLY good!!!! My wife got that for dinner, and let me have her sample portion (yes, they were nice and offered a sample, in case she thought it would be too fishy... Which it wasn't at all)

IMG_0177 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0193 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Disney's Yacht Club by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So tonight, it was time to break out the tripod. I sort of picked out some shots I wanted to get, from the night before; but I pretty much just went with the flow. I was able to shoot for about 10 minutes at Stormalong Bay, before getting kicked out (closing time); but continued to get a few shots from just outside the roped off area. I'm sure I seemed desperate to get pool shots from this outer area, but I was going for a creative view. So I could see myself shooting from that spot even if the pool was still open. Afterwards, I made my way to the lighthouse, the Yacht Club, and eventually over to the Dolphin. Sure, I got a few pictures of the Dolphin at night; but I was quite intrigued by a glass that someone had left on the bridge that links the Boardwalk to the Swan & Dolphin. The glass was half empty with a lime at bottom; and was sitting on top of a pillar to the bridge railing. I'm always on the lookout for unique shot opportunities like this (without actually setting up anything myself); so it was fun spending quite a bit of time with this prop, with the Boardwalk Inn in the background.

IMG_0210 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0227 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0241 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0259 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0274 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

One of the unique situations you sometimes run into when walking around with your "big camera", is when an alcohol induced person asks you if you want to take their picture. It happened twice to me while on this bridge. First, there were a group of 3 young ladies who asked. I kinda smiled and didn't say anything. Next, there were these 2 couples (well, 2 ladies and 2 guys anyway), and one of the women asked. I actually tried to take her picture, just for the heck of it. I attempted this without holding the camera up and focusing it on her (so 'from the hip', for you photogs our there), but the camera didn't fire (night shots like this can be iffy sometimes). I mainly did it for her amusement though. Plus, it would’ve been a cool photo memento from my nightly shooting. Oh well, maybe next time.... and I KNOW there will be a next time (hmmm… maybe a new photo series in the works). And in case you're wondering, all of these people were headed towards Jellyrolls. I can only imagine how many requests I would get if I was over there AFTER Jellyrolls closed!?!?!?! So after spending just a little more time at the Boardwalk itself, it was time to head back 'home'. We had another character breakfast lined up for tomorrow.

IMG_0294 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0305 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_0310 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Your daughter is adorable, especially that she cries when she has to get off Dumbo! Too cute! That will make quite the story when she is older. And of course, your pictures are spectacular!

Oh my goodness! I love your pics!!! What great concepts you get - I would hire you in a minute to tag along on our next trip :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter