Be aware if traveling to WDW within the next few days

We were at the AKL last week and noticed that most of the mousekeepers were using a Javel (Javex solution) wipe down routine- I have worked in a few laboratories and once you get that smell in your nose - even small amounts are noticeable..so I asked a couple of mousekeepers and the girls at conceirge about it and they confirmed that Disney is stepping up the antiseptic wipe down for the past couple of weeks and obviously into this week. I guess quite a few quests are throwing up in many resorts. AKL was not bad but they are wiping down as a precaution. Other resorts are hit harder...

And this is a "Norwalk" type virus - same symptoms different genus etc etc..

And yes, antibacterial wipes are only useful on bacteria, but a JAVEL solution will strip all infectious material and that is why it is used...

Oh. Great. We will check in on the 26th. :scared:

We had this virus in our family last year. If you have never had it you cannot comprehend how bad it is. Truly, Truly horrible and SOOOOO contageous. We bleached everything. It didn't help. Everyone got it.

It is certainly not their fault, but I hope Disney continues to take action.

I am so sorry to hear of anyone getting sick on vacation, and I certainly hope that anyone planning a trip will be spared, but thank you so much for sharing this info.

Hopefully your sharing of the info will make many realize that when you get sick at Disney it is very likely a virus and not food poisoning.

We were at POP 12/9-12/16 and I knew before we went that people were reporting illness. This was our first time on the dining plan and I was praying that we would stay healthy. I wiped the room down including phone and TV remote and made everyone wash their hands before eating. I am happy to report we were fine. I didn't see anyone sick around us either.

Our party of seven ate at O'hana, CRT, Le'Cellier, Crystal Palace, Sci Fi, Prime Time, Liberty Tree Tavern, and numerous counter meals. I would have been heartbroken if we hadn't been able to enjoy the dining plan and all my reservation efforts!

My heart goes out to those who have reported illness. I can't imagine how sad I would have been if it hit us. I just wanted to encourage those who are going soon not to worry too much about something you have no control over. Wishing everyone who is going soon a great healthy vacation :goodvibes

If it is Norwalk, it's a very nasty virus and requires great efforts to contain. We were on a cruise ship in June (Princess, not Disney). Apparently they had an outbreak of Norwalk on the cruise right before ours and they were still in full sanitizing mode throughout our 10 day trip. The crew had these huge sprayers filled with Virox that they would carry on their backs. One guy just walked up and down the stairway all day and sprayed the hand rails. When he got to the top, he would take the elevator down and start again. Every bathroom attendent was constantly spraying everything. We got used to a thin film of wetness on almost everything we touched but we knew it was there to protect us.

Several people on our cruise still got it but it wasn't a full-blown outbreak. If you went to the med center with the virus, they would tell you to stay in your cabin for 3 days and they would come by to check that you were complying. Our family of 4 was very lucky. None of us got so much as a sniffle on that trip. If you're heading to WDW, wash those hands and avoid touching as many things as possible!

If it is Norwalk, it's a very nasty virus and requires great efforts to contain. We were on a cruise ship in June (Princess, not Disney). Apparently they had an outbreak of Norwalk on the cruise right before ours and they were still in full sanitizing mode throughout our 10 day trip. The crew had these huge sprayers filled with Virox that they would carry on their backs. One guy just walked up and down the stairway all day and sprayed the hand rails. When he got to the top, he would take the elevator down and start again. Every bathroom attendent was constantly spraying everything. We got used to a thin film of wetness on almost everything we touched but we knew it was there to protect us.

Several people on our cruise still got it but it wasn't a full-blown outbreak. If you went to the med center with the virus, they would tell you to stay in your cabin for 3 days and they would come by to check that you were complying. Our family of 4 was very lucky. None of us got so much as a sniffle on that trip. If you're heading to WDW, wash those hands and avoid touching as many things as possible!

This happened to my DMIL. She and my DFIL went on a cruise in November (forgot which one) and the week before their cruise, the Norwalk virus broke out and half the ship got it. Unfortunately my DMIL got the same thing because there too were a few passengers that caught it the next week. She had said that she was quarentined to her room for 48 hours and that someone was always coming into her room to change linens and wash down everything. So everyone going down to WDW, be safe and to keep clean.

Yep, it happens on cruise ships. They now make a practice on Royal Caribbean of spraying everyone's hands before they enter a dining venue. No spray = no dining.

Sorry to hear the outbreak is quite bad at WDW right now. I got something similar at WDW once and was out of commission for 4 days. It truly is awful.

Glad to hear WDW has stepped up cleaning procedures. They need to. The virus is so very contagious.

It's not just Disney... it has been going around the local college and where I work. I got it on Thanksgiving and it knocked me out for about 48 hours (I then got pneumonia on top of it). It's hitting many places right now.

Tis' the season, unfortunatley! Good hand washing is the key! The ER Departments in Ontario, Canada are all back logged this time of year because of virus strains like these! Can't stress enough about hand washing! Do not touch bathroom doors or sinks without using a paper towel either, flush toilets with your feet or toilet paper, do not touch anything in a bathroom or near a bathroom without paper towel or toilet paper, thsi includes the entrance door!:sick:

Is it too late for a flu shot? I am sure it wouldnt protect against Norwalk, but in general is it too late?

Nope, not too late yet, everyone should get one! Won't protect from Norwalk, but will protect from most flu strains, but remember you may still get a flu strain with the flu shot, but the symptoms will be much less! Influenza can make people very ill, especially if you have a comprimised immune system! I sound like a walking ad, but I highly suggest you get one! My family does every year, including kids!

thanks! I will call and make an appt right now. I got my kids shots, but didnt bother for myself. After reading this thread I definetly want one. I am looking forward to the eating at WDW just as much as the parks lol.

How long will this bug last at WDW?? Are they doing anything extra to get rid of it or is there anything they can even do? How awful! We leave after Christmas (Dec. 31) and hope not to see that virus.

We went in Sept. and my son was sick for 2 days of that trip...once is enough for us!

I'm wondering too. We have several young babies and some elderly family members going in early Jan. This kind of worries me! I know it can be spread through handling food, so I hope Disney is taking some precautions!

I was there the first week in December and I heard there were some sick people around, although I didn't see any. I didn't get sick either. I was at the YC, and I overheard a guest down the hall discussing their need for new linens with housekeeping, so I know there were sick people there.

I wash my hands very often, and carry hand wash towelettes to use right before eating. You don't really think about all the things you touch between the bathroom and the dining table, things like menus, hand rails, hostess stands, chairs, etc. So far (knocking on wood) I haven't had any problems by making sure I wash before every meal, every snack, every drink. I don't use the towelette until the food is ordered (TS) or I get to the table with my tray (CS). I also do not go to buffets, primarly due to hygiene concerns. It doesn't do any good to get your hands clean if everyone else has germs and then lays the utensils in the foodl Yuck! I know buffets are very popular here on the DIS, but you are more than welcome to them.

I live in Ft Lauderdale and my dd15 had this the Sunday after Thanksgiving in the middle of the night. She sat up in her bed and got sick (this is the first time she didn't make it into the bathroom since she was 4, she always makes sure she gets to the bathroom in time) I just thought it was her regular cold. She gets these weird fevers that will last for a week. She's had them since she was 3 (they used to be scary because she really burns up. We think they are stress related) The stomach bug lasted 24 hours but she had so much pain from getting sick about 10 times. We visited Disney over the weekend but neither of us got it while there ( thank goodness).

I think its just something going around in Florida.

we will be there in January, my husband, adult children, their wives and our little grandchildren. Thousands and thousands of dollars, huge anticipation, and now I am afraid we will get sick. Ugh. I'm so very sorry to those who got sick on their vacation.:scared1:

I live in Texas and the city where I live is seeing an outbreak in this sort of thing right now. The Health Department is reporting that it is hitting the schools the hardest. I also live in a college town and while it hasn't been at the university, it has been bad at the elementary and junior high schools. The Health Department said the virus is hitting very suddenly and making people very, very sick.

We recently found out that our 2 year old has an antibody deficiency that does not allow his immune system to function properly and even the slightest cold or cough sends him to the ER because he just gets really sick, very quick and then can't get over it. His preschool teacher said they were seeing an outbreak of this virus stuff and as soon as she told me that, I pulled him out of school because out of 10 in his class, 8 kids had already had it. Just my son and another little girl hadn't gotten it. And the mother of the littel girl pulled her out as well until all the other kids get better.

My son had something very similiar to this type of virus back in May, and let me tell you, he was so sick and miserable that they had to admit him to the hospital on his 2nd bday because he was very dehydrated and his electrolytes were all messed up. :sick: :sick:

I hope those going in the next few days manage to escape getting sick. Everyone has already said this already but....WASH YOUR HANDS. I get so grossed out when I see people not washing their hands, especially after going to the bathroom. Eww. Gross.:scared1: :scared1:

Have a great trip! ;)

We were at POR Riverside from Dec 11-16 and did not get sick. I did not see any signs of anyone being sick and did not hear anyone talking about it. Maybe they are getting it under control.:confused3

I had a Norwalk type virus while on a cruise boat docked in Amsterdam. That was in 1998 and ever since I have wondered if my infection left me with some resistance to the virus. In any case, I am vigilant about washing my hands often.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter