BC stage opening!

I think some private businesses and places like cinemas may still require masks for a while. I saw pushback from some customers when I was at a local brewery yesterday but the business stood firm.

First off, I hope everyone is doing OK after the Heat Dome. My husband and I actually checked into a hotel for a night to get some A/C. I sat in multiple ice baths just to bring my core temperature down. It's finally bearable, just for the fires to start. My heart breaks for those affected, and please reach out if you need support.

My hair salon and waxing place have both sent out messaging that masks are still required for the time being. A gym I follow has said that people can remove masks within their "workout square" but otherwise are still required. I was in Walmart yesterday and I'd say it was 95% still mask wearing (myself included). Today, I was meeting a friend at Starbucks and while he wore a mask in to grab our order, most people in there were not wearing masks anymore.

I think some private businesses and places like cinemas may still require masks for a while. I saw pushback from some customers when I was at a local brewery yesterday but the business stood firm.
i think so too. I still plan on wearing one inside stores. And at the movie theatre everyone had masks on until they got to their seats which were all socially distanced. I haven’t been out to anywhere since announcement so can’t say I noticed anything Aside from movies.
My husband was surprised that he was told he had to put mask in at the pub. Since they said they weren’t mandatory now. Good thing I made him keep 1 in his car. He was getting ready to throw them all out.

First off, I hope everyone is doing OK after the Heat Dome. My husband and I actually checked into a hotel for a night to get some A/C. I sat in multiple ice baths just to bring my core temperature down. It's finally bearable, just for the fires to start. My heart breaks for those affected, and please reach out if you need support.

My hair salon and waxing place have both sent out messaging that masks are still required for the time being. A gym I follow has said that people can remove masks within their "workout square" but otherwise are still required. I was in Walmart yesterday and I'd say it was 95% still mask wearing (myself included). Today, I was meeting a friend at Starbucks and while he wore a mask in to grab our order, most people in there were not wearing masks anymore.
On the news so many people were going to hotels! Our house doesn’t have AC. But we have a basement! It was bearable downstairs. Sad there were so many deaths from the heat with the elderly. And pets.
Now we have the fires. Unbelievable Lytton is gone. Awful.

Congrats on getting a hotel room! I know people could not find a room within 100 km distance! We were lucky to score a second AC unit from Costco. I can't imagine that heat wave without them! I work in a live theatre and we were able to have 50 people in the audience (including staff) people wore masks and removed them once they were seated. It was so nice to see people enjoying live music! and even nicer for the musicians to play to real people instead of a camera.

I live in the interior of BC and we had heat temps up to 46C one day and temps above 42 for 5-6 days in a row. SO hot. We do have AC and most ppl in my city do. On July 1, Canada Day, we had a storm around dinner time with lots and lots of lightning strikes. We could see fires start up all around us and one big strike started taking off quickly. Our whole big subdivision had to be evacuated and there is only one road out until they opened an emergency exit a few hours later. It took at least 1.5 hrs to get out of the neighborhood. It was very stressful being in gridlock traffic with lightning strikes all around you. There were 3 of us with 3 dogs. Luckily, some friends took us in as the Emergency evacuation sites are quite full. Many Lytton people are at our shelters. We were allowed back in the next day but crews were still fighting the fire for many days. I am still exhausted from the heat, lack of sleep and the smoky skies.

OK, sorry to go on for so long but I always feel everyone in this group is my friend. ❤️. I am so ready to go back to my happy place at WDW. I won’t be going until 2022 though. Stay safe everyone and if you live in an area that experiences forest fires, please have a to-go bag ready, cell phone charged, passport and a full tank of gas.

I live in the interior of BC and we had heat temps up to 46C one day and temps above 42 for 5-6 days in a row. SO hot. We do have AC and most ppl in my city do. On July 1, Canada Day, we had a storm around dinner time with lots and lots of lightning strikes. We could see fires start up all around us and one big strike started taking off quickly. Our whole big subdivision had to be evacuated and there is only one road out until they opened an emergency exit a few hours later. It took at least 1.5 hrs to get out of the neighborhood. It was very stressful being in gridlock traffic with lightning strikes all around you. There were 3 of us with 3 dogs. Luckily, some friends took us in as the Emergency evacuation sites are quite full. Many Lytton people are at our shelters. We were allowed back in the next day but crews were still fighting the fire for many days. I am still exhausted from the heat, lack of sleep and the smoky skies.

OK, sorry to go on for so long but I always feel everyone in this group is my friend. ❤. I am so ready to go back to my happy place at WDW. I won’t be going until 2022 though. Stay safe everyone and if you live in an area that experiences forest fires, please have a to-go bag ready, cell phone charged, passport and a full tank of gas.
I am so so sorry to hear but thankful you are ok..... My heart goes out to everyone who is having to deal with these fires it is devastating.

OK, sorry to go on for so long but I always feel everyone in this group is my friend. ❤. I am so ready to go back to my happy place at WDW. I won’t be going until 2022 though. Stay safe everyone and if you live in an area that experiences forest fires, please have a to-go bag ready, cell phone charged, passport and a full tank of gas.
To say it's been devastating is an understatement and it's only the first week of July. I'm so glad you are all safe :grouphug:

I was listening very closely to Radio NL. How terrifying. It was a miricle no homes were lost!

Given that no one has posted in this thread, I guess it’s ok if I hijack it???

After 15 months of working from home and home schooling here in Calgary, a friend of the family has offered us his condo in White Rock for a couple of weeks this month.

Can’t say that looking at the ocean instead of the four walls of our home isn’t tempting.

Before we accept, has tourism started up again in the area, or will we stick out like sore thumbs (we’re double vaxxed and will still mask indoors for the foreseeable future)?

Also read stories (albeit closer to the start if Covid) of cars with Alberta plates being vandalized in BC. Is that still (was it ever) a concern in the area?

Last question - if we come, we’d be bringing our dog with us - are restaurant patios generally dog friendly (here, only patios specifically licensed by the city are allowed to have dogs in them).

Thanks.

I live in the same city and had a house full that night, if you ever need any help, please message, we have extra bedrooms and such.

After 15 months of working from home and home schooling here in Calgary, a friend of the family has offered us his condo in White Rock for a couple of weeks this month.

Can’t say that looking at the ocean instead of the four walls of our home isn’t tempting.

Before we accept, has tourism started up again in the area, or will we stick out like sore thumbs (we’re double vaxxed and will still mask indoors for the foreseeable future)?

Also read stories (albeit closer to the start if Covid) of cars with Alberta plates being vandalized in BC. Is that still (was it ever) a concern in the area?

Last question - if we come, we’d be bringing our dog with us - are restaurant patios generally dog friendly (here, only patios specifically licensed by the city are allowed to have dogs in them).

Thanks.
I'm in Surrey near the Surrey/Langley border so about 20 minutes from White Rock. You will be fine, we have seen so many out of province plates around lately, no one really bats an eye any more.
I can't answer your second question as we don't currently own any pets, though I have to say I don't generally see many dogs on patios (but again, that doesn't mean they aren't allowed, just observing what I've seen).

I live in the same city and had a house full that night, if you ever need any help, please message, we have extra bedrooms and such.
Thank you SO much! so very kind of you! I will certainly keep you in mind if that ever happens again. And if you ever need a place to stay or need anything, please let me know. But as you know, we do only have the one road out for now. But anything else…

Thank you SO much! so very kind of you! I will certainly keep you in mind if that ever happens again. And if you ever need a place to stay or need anything, please let me know. But as you know, we do only have the one road out for now. But anything else…

I'm going to message you with my contact info, might even be fun to have a drink and talk Disney :)

Thanks.
As bcwife says, we haven’t heard of any vandalism recently. But I don’t think dogs are allowed on patios. I’m not sure. We leave ours home. One time at Whistler I took our dog with me on a patio and was asked to have dog on other side of fence. 🙄
I live a bit further out but always try to get to Whiterock once during the summer. It’s lovely. Lots of sidewalk cafes, beach, always a sea breeze off the water. Hope you enjoy your time there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter