Barcelona - where to stay before cruise

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We’re planning to do the Western Europe cruise in 2020 and I am already trying to research on where to stay. For those of you who have been. What is a good area to stay in or what’s hotel would you recommend? How many days would you recommend staying? Thanks!

I stayed 3 nights prior to a RCCL cruise and felt like there was SOOOOOO much more to see!!

I stayed at the Acta Atrium Palace which was a few blocks off Las Ramblas and loved it. Off enough it was quiet, but close enough to walk easily.

I stayed 3 nights prior to a RCCL cruise and felt like there was SOOOOOO much more to see!!

I stayed at the Acta Atrium Palace which was a few blocks off Las Ramblas and loved it. Off enough it was quiet, but close enough to walk easily.
I’ll check it out!! Thanks! Maybe I should do 5 nights! :D sounds like an amazing city!

We just stayed there for 3 nights post-transatlantic. We chose an AirBnb in the Gracia neighborhood and it was amazing. Somewhat removed from the tourist crush but vibrant and so many things were an easy walk, plus the metro is easy to use to get around if needed. We saw only a taste of what was there but had a very enjoyable time. Leave yourself some time to grab a bite or coffee in a nearby plaça and enjoy life like a local. Another tip: several tourist attractions sell tickets online in advance and do sell out, so do some planning ahead for those. We were unable to see inside La Sagrada Familia because the tickets were gone for that day. (Good reason to go back, though, right?)

Something I did not know: Barcelona is located in Catalonia, which is kind of its own part of Spain. A decent percentage are pushing for independence. Their first language is not Spanish but Catalan, which is not a Spanish derivative. Most do speak Spanish, but learning a few survival words/phrases in Catalan is quite helpful.

We stayed at the Hotel Arts. It was breathtaking! Our room was a corner and overlooked both the city and the ocean. We could even see the Magic sail off into the sunset when it left that day.

Following ....I have the same cruise booked!
Yay!! I’m so excited!
We just stayed there for 3 nights post-transatlantic. We chose an AirBnb in the Gracia neighborhood and it was amazing. Somewhat removed from the tourist crush but vibrant and so many things were an easy walk, plus the metro is easy to use to get around if needed. We saw only a taste of what was there but had a very enjoyable time. Leave yourself some time to grab a bite or coffee in a nearby plaça and enjoy life like a local. Another tip: several tourist attractions sell tickets online in advance and do sell out, so do some planning ahead for those. We were unable to see inside La Sagrada Familia because the tickets were gone for that day. (Good reason to go back, though, right?)

Something I did not know: Barcelona is located in Catalonia, which is kind of its own part of Spain. A decent percentage are pushing for independence. Their first language is not Spanish but Catalan, which is not a Spanish derivative. Most do speak Spanish, but learning a few survival words/phrases in Catalan is quite helpful.
Thanks for the tips!! Definitely will look into those advance tickets! Will also have to learn some Spanish and Catalan! Lots of research before and I love it! Never been to Spain before so it’ll definitely be an experience!
We stayed at the Hotel Arts. It was breathtaking! Our room was a corner and overlooked both the city and the ocean. We could even see the Magic sail off into the sunset when it left that day.
I’ll check this out! Sounds like an awesome hotel! Thanks!!

We stayed at the Casa Camper hotel. It was fabulous and unique. My daughter loved the room with the hammock. It was right off Las Ramblas, so easy to walk to a lot of things and to transportation for places farther away. We had planned to spend 2 days before our cruise in Barcelona, but we only ended up with one because our flight ended up delayed in Montreal for 24 hours. We were still able to see Park Guell and La Sagrada Familia, which were really what we wanted to see, but we didn't get to be as relaxed as we had planned. I did book our tickets online to both before we went, but had to quickly rebook them when our flight was delayed. Thankfully, I was still able to get tickets to both at different times that would work for our new schedule.

We have stayed at Hotel Jazz for 3 or 4 nights before two WBTA and after one EBTA cruise. Located near Las Ramblas. Friendly and efficient staff, nice spacious modern rooms, and an excellent breakfast.

In addition to the beautiful sites in Barcelona proper, we have also done a half-day tour to Montserrat that we recommend highly.

We stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton and really liked the area. Right across from a great grocery store and a cool outdoor shopping center. Definitely do at least two nights before the cruise!

We've stayed at Le Meridien on Las Ramblas, the Diagonal del Mar and the Renaissance Barcelona. All were excellent. IMO, Le Meridien had the best restaurant (we actually went back there twice when we were staying at the Renaissance) and location; the Diagonal del Mar had the best room, pool, and great steak but not such a great location; the Renaissance had a really good location but food options were just OK and limited but given the location, it's not much of a problem.

We loved Barcelona but made the mistake of not staying long enough. We only did one day and night prior to our 2010 Med cruise at Le Meridien, one night at the Diagonal del Mar prior to our 2013 Med cruise and three days at the Renaissance after that cruise. We did a small group food and wine tour in and around Barcelona and a full day large group tour of Barcelona one day where we were on our own for lunch (went back to Le Meridien for lunch). I still want at least another week or more there.

Last year we stayed at the Hilton Diagonal Mar. It is one of the hotels that Disney recommends and is 2 blocks from the beach (very easy to walk to) and right across the street from a large mall with plenty of restaurants and shopping. It is also within a short cab ride of most of the sites. We only flew in a day early due to my lack of vacation time through work; but we would not hesitate to stay there again if/when we do another Med Cruise.

Psy

We stayed in the DCL Renaissance Barcelona Hotel which is within walking distance of many Gaudi structures. We came in two days early as part of our B2B Med./WBTA. Spent two days seeing the sights. I booked our walking tour of the old town and Picasso's Museum on line before the trip (ate at the 4 Cats, where Picasso once dined). The hotel helped us get tickets to Parc Gruell (some of it is free, but the Gaudi part is not and you need reservations). Also, watch for pickpockets...I got tagged by one...didn't lose much as the serious stuff was in a money belt around my waist. They train kids to do it...smaller hands. I also booked on line, in advance, tickets to tour and ride elevator (one way, you walk down narrow winding stairs, but great views) into a tower of Sagrada Familia. Read Dan Brown's novel "Origin," a lot of it takes place in Gaudi buildings and Sagrada Familia. Check out Rick Steves books and videos for tips and sights to see/do.

We stayed at the Hotel Colon, across the street from the Barcelona Cathedral. A great location, near Los Rambas, plenty of restaurants and easy to get to other locations. If you need transportation, or want to arrange any tours, I would highly recommend Barcelona Day tours. Barcelona was a great city to visit, enjoy!

We have also stayed at Hilton Diagonal Mar along with a couple of other hotels and have been happy with each one. I second visiting Montserrat which is very easy to do on your own via the train. If you are interested in soccer the tour of Camp Nou, home to Barcelona FC, is really nice. If traveling with kids the Chocolate Museum is fun for an afternoon and your ticket is a chocolate bar. I use Rick Steves and trip advisor for planning. Enjoy Barcelona! It is one of our favorite cities to visit.

We stayed at the Violeta Boutique it was a great location walking distance to the Ramblas and Sagrada Familia. With lots of great restaurants in the area.C56456FA-1ECE-4A9B-B5F5-D47409609A3C.jpeg19F1CBBC-2D9D-4168-B83F-5AB177F79C21.jpeg3C83DD20-CBE5-4FCF-A6EA-E85EDC14E9D0.jpeg37FCB773-8C46-4142-BB18-63B3B9DCEE3B.jpegA2C2D026-19A2-4DD3-B37E-F5297A12AD8F.jpeg

I've completed two WBTA Disney cruises (2010 & 2014) and each time I spent a week in Barcelona prior to the cruise. The first place I stayed in (2010) was Hotel Continental Barcelona right on La Ramblas Street. The location was convenient and within walking distance to numerous attractions, public transportation, the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc., but I could have done without the pink walls and pink bedding in my room (which I hope has been redone since my visit 9 years ago). Nevertheless the staff was great. I enjoyed having alcoholic drinks in the evening which was included and meals that where included where a hit and miss (if you where late you might not find anything left or sometime the food just wasn't my taste) but I didn't plan on staying in Barcelona an extra week to dine in my hotel. I also didn't care to be in staying in an area surrounded by primarily by tourist. On my next visit to Barcelona (2014) I stayed at the Hotel Praktik Garden which was more to my taste. The rooms and common areas seemed a bit more modern and I got the feeling it was a newer hotel. No meals included but I could have added it if I wanted to. The staff was great just like the previous hotel. I did like that the hotel was away from the touristy areas and surrounded by locals which made me feel like I was blending in more. The subway/metro was about a block away from the hotel so getting around the city was convenient. Good luck with your decision.

We stayed in 2018 in an Airbnb apt near cathedral Barcelona. Amazing neighborhood. Quiet yet just a few blocks from Las ramblas.

Super easy to taxi to port. We walked everywhere so that’s easy too. But we did take the bus ride hop on and off as well.

Fell in live with the food there. If the whole cruise last year the three days in Barcelona was our highlight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter