• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Banking question

Emma1

Mouseketeer
Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has run into any problems using debit in Disneyworld, withdrawing or debit transactions. We are with a credit union. Also, are the fees much higher this way or is it better to go with money already converted to U.S.:banana:

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has run into any problems using debit in Disneyworld, withdrawing or debit transactions. We are with a credit union. Also, are the fees much higher this way or is it better to go with money already converted to U.S.:banana:

The charge for the withdrawl is generally 3.00 or more plus your bank or CU will often charge you a fee for using the US cash machine. YMMV but I have seen as much as 8-10 dollars in charges for use of some machines so just be carefull to stick with national branded machines not the ATM variety store type machines.

Also, you may want to inform your bank that you will be in the US and plan on using your card there. My BIL was using his card in FLA a few years ago, but at one point he went to use it and it didn't work. The bank had put a stop on his card because it being used in the US was very unusual, and they thought that maybe it had been stolen. All it took was a phone call to the bank to straighten it out, but it was inconvenient nonetheless.

I have not been able to do debit transactions at Disneyworld in the past. Most machines had no pin pad and wouldn't recognize my card. I have done cash withdrawals at an ATM

I work in banking.

Make sure you have a 4 digit PIN not 6 if you want to use banking machines or debit outside of Canada.

There is limited cross-boarder debit but I am not sure if WDW has machines that belong to that network.

As F4disneyfan says it is expensive so I would suggest use your Visa card. Even though they have a a service charge when they convert, it is cheaper. If you are staying onsite, you can charge everything to your Key to the World card.

I also bank through a credit union. We stopped even trying to use our debit cards for retail transactions in the US, although we have not had any problems with using them at bank machines or with using our debit mastercard.

M.

Hello,

Quick question - are you staying on property? If so, then you will have your 'Key to the World' card which basically acts as a debit card - you 'fill it up' when you check in and then use that for all purchases. If this is your situation, then it is very simple and the Card works virtually everywhere on property. We have used both our Credit Card (MC) and Travellers Cheques to 'fill it up' when we checked in. Credit Card is a bit of a rip off as they charge you a premium to convert - usually about 2.5%. I am actually going to get a USD MC for this trip to avoid that conversion premium.

If you are NOT staying on site, then I would take a look at the back of your current debit card - it should give you symbols for which systems are supported. The most common in the States are Maestro and Cirrus. If you have those two, you are likely OK. There is a s/c as others have mentioned, on top of your 'regular' withdrawl fee (likely you have a certain # of withdrawls per month allowed on your acct). The fee is usually around $2-4 (possibly more for small 'non-Bank' type ABMs - like those in a convenience store). You could check with your Credit Union to see what they have to say about usage and whether they have any package to offer you a few free US withdrawls.

I would suggest the following as possible options:

1) Bring Travellers cheques - bring some smaller denominations, sometimes there is a small fee for cashing them
2) Look into a USD credit card - I know BMO Mastercard has one, as that is the one I am going to get - then you save on the conversion premium.
3) Check with the credit union and see what they have to say

Personally I would vote for #1 if you are unsure - there is nothing worse than wasting time driving around down there trying to find an ABM which will accept your card.

After the fees our bank charged when we used our card for a point of sale purchase we never did it again. It made more sense to pull out a certain amount that would last a day or two instead of paying per transaction.

I may be in the minority here, but I could not get our bank cards to work at ATMs in Disney World. Not sure what the problem was, and I have used ATMs in other states (New England states). Just didn't have any luck in Florida. I bank with CIBC and PC.

I know TD has an agreement in place so you can use your debit card all over the place in the Disney area even at the ATM's but again just watch out for the added fees of doing so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter