Banking Point allocation in the next UY ?

MMCD

Mouseketeer
I called MS today to make my 2007 Thanksgiving reservation. My UY is September. I still have about 75 points left in my 2006 UY. I have until May to bank them. I haven't banked them yet because I may choose to go in May 2007 which is what I told MS when she asked me what I wanted to do with my remaining 2006 points.

After I made my Nov 2007 ressie with my Sept 2007 points, MS told me that when I decide to bank my 2006 points, it will not be allowed to be allocated for my Nov 2007 point usage trip. My conversation went like this:

Me: What do you mean? I have 200 points each new year. My banked 75 will give me 275. When I call in to bank my 75, I will tell MS to move my points around to make sure I use my 2006 points for Nov 2007.

MS: Your Nov ressie requires 100 points. To use 75 1st will require cancelling the 100 points and rebooking the 75 + 25 if all the days are available. Thanksgiving is a busy holiday week. You may not be able to rebook all the original days.

Me: Well then, when I bank my 75, I will check what dates are available. I will only remove/cancel the days that are available from my 2007 year and rebook the days available with my 2006 points.

MS: That is not how it works. When you remove a date, your whole ressie is cancelled. Then hopefully a full reservation is still available. You have best decide to bank your points now so that they can be used 1st in Nov.

Me: Please recheck with your supervisor if that rule is correct. I never heard of it. I have been a member for close to 10 years. I always bank points close to the last banking date and have made advanced reservations prior to banking. I always get my banked points reallocated to the earliest reservations first. You can look at my history. I mostly travel there at holiday time. I have never lost a holiday reservation when I reallocated banked points.

MS: You may me just have been lucky.

Me: Please ask your supervisor. (I wait for awhile)

MS: I have advised you correctly according to my supervisor. What do you want me to do?

Me: Please do not touch my 2006 points and please do not make my Nov reservation. Thank you. Bye.

So is MS Correct? Have I been lucky? I seriously only come during Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, July 4th, Easter and March spring break. I book as close to the 11 or 7 months out. And I bank at the last date possible because I do rent occasionally. I have never been told that I may not be able to use my banked points 1st in the next use year.

I rarely borrow points. I don't like to. I think I may have borrowed 8 points once just to complete a July 4th stay.

Thanks,

MMCD

I don't think reallocation is guaranteed, especially if your dates are soldout and there is a waitlist. I would bank the points and use them for the reservation then borrow if needed.

Reallocation is tricky......

When dealing with Great, long-term MS-Advisors, I have never had a problem, infact, they often suggest reallocation before I ask for it.

Last week, I banked 4 remaining points (December 31st Deadline) to my April 2008 UY. The guide then said lets see if I can reallocate these points and free up 4 allocated 2008 UY points which you can bank with these 4 banked 2007 UY points, she then did just that.

My understanding (does *NOT* mean POS factual) and as proven by this recent transaction, that if the dates are available (not on a waitlist), points can be reallocated within an existing ressie, and they do not have to be whole night numbers, as proven by my sucesfull reallocation of just 4 points.

I had always thought reallocation had to be done in 'whole numbers' (i.e. a full nights requirement), but that does not seem to be true.

My advice, recall MS and get an experienced MS-Advisor.

Best of luck,

-Tony

MS: That is not how it works. When you remove a date, your whole ressie is cancelled. Then hopefully a full reservation is still available. You have best decide to bank your points now so that they can be used 1st in Nov.

Reallocation aside, I think this statement is as inaccurate as can be. I've cancelled dates on the front and back end of a stay in the past and never had the entire reservation cancelled and rebooked. In fact for the longest time I had an email reply to my question about any affect cancelling a leading day would have on a previous reservation, and was told it would not at all (and it didn't) interfere with the rest of the stay.

When in doubt, I would bank the points and book your May trip with borrowed points. That way the 2006 points will for certain be used for the fall booking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter