Ban smoking at the MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...But one thing in this thread really annoys me and that is the whole "be a role model for children" thing. Don't expect a random stranger to be an example for your kids. If I had wanted to be a role model for kids I would've become a teacher, a coach, or a parent. It's not my responsibility to conform to your family's values, nor would something like that even be possible considering how different values are from one family to the next. You don't want your kids to smoke? I completely understand, neither would I. However, the onus is on you. It's your job as a parent to prepare your kids to live in the adult world, not to make adults live in a kids world.

I can only assume from your statement that you do not have kids. If you did, you immediately signed up to be a role model for them.

I guess you think it would be OK for me to use those smokers as teaching moments? I should be able to point them out to my kids and discuss how wrong I think it is for someone to do that , especially to do that in front of children? It sounds like that is my responsibility to prepare my kids for the adult world where everyone is out for themselves?

I am really losing faith in people...

I can only assume from your statement that you do not have kids. If you did, you immediately signed up to be a role model for them.

I guess you think it would be OK for me to use those smokers as teaching moments? I should be able to point them out to my kids and discuss how wrong I think it is for someone to do that , especially to do that in front of children? It sounds like that is my responsibility to prepare my kids for the adult world where everyone is out for themselves?

She said she did not want to be a role model for YOUR kids.

"Don't expect a random stranger to be an example for your kids." were her exact words.

I don't want to be a role model for your kids either. Not my responsibility.... for my own children of course I am a role model... and what I do or do not do.... well that is my business and none of yours. And yes I do have kids.

And yes I DO point other people's bad behavior as a teaching moment... be it a drunk passed out on the street... someone with a bad tattoo... but especially when people are being overbearing, rude and obnoxious.

Sounds like that's your only option. The person who started this thread was likely trolling, and there isn't any evidence to show this is even being considered by Disney. You can't control the smokers, so you have to teach your kids the best you can, and use them as examples of what not to do if that's not what you agree with.

It must be a southern thing... Up here, everywhere is 100% nonsmoking.

I'd say that's probably a valid assumption. Tobacco was THE industry here for a long time until the feds put them out of business and made our city and its neighboring cities the worst economies and highest unemployment rates in the state of Virginia. Most of the tobacco industry farms and plants are down south, so it's more of a lifestyle here than most places I would think. I know I was talked into quitting by smokers much older than I, telling me it's a filthy habit and I need to stop while I can.

But then again, places like NYC, Pittsburgh, Philly and lots of other northern cities are pretty desperate to cut down on air pollution. The air quality up there is the equivalent of smoking a pack a day or so anyway so I've read, and cigarette smoke supposedly puts off more air pollution than 10 diesel engines.

Me, myself, I like the fact that America is a republic, and if you don't like smoking, you can always move to a state that doesn't allow it...and you don't have to go to states, or in this case theme parks that do allow it.

The whole thing reminds me of the Captain Jack Sparrow "What a man can do, and what a man can't do" speech.

Like I said, if I had wanted to be a role model for children I would've become a teacher, coach, or parent. I am none of those things.

Absolutely, you should teach your children that smoking is bad for their health, just as you would teach them to say no to drugs, stay out of the liquor cabinet (if you have one), look both ways before crossing the street, and not to stick their fingers in electrical sockets. I happen to think it's far more reasonable for YOU to teach your kid to keep his finger out of the electrical socket than it is to try and shield him from electrical sockets for his entire childhood, or to demand that Disney should do away with them all together.

So, if you want to teach your child that smoking is a nasty habit (because it is) then by all means do so. If you want to do that by pointing out smokers and telling your children how disgusting they are, go right ahead. If you want to point out fat people so you can use them as a teachable moment about good nutrition, go right ahead. If you happen to have extremely conservative ideas about modesty, go ahead and point out all the "skanky" women in shorts and a tank top and tell your kids why you think it's inappropriate for women to dress that way. Personally, if I had children, I'd rather teach them class. But, hey, everyone's parenting styles are different. That's why it's not up to the smoker, the overweight person, or the woman in shorts and a tank top to conform to the values you want to instill in your children. And when it comes to people who are participating in perfectly legal activities and following the rules, that has nothing to do with being "out for themselves". They're just living their lives and minding their business.

I know what, you keep your hot dogs and i will keep my cigarettes. Then we all walk away happy lol. ( i am not even sure if you smoke or not so that may make no sense) I know alot of people like them hot dogs, maybe it depends where you are from. Those hot dogs dont even resemble a hot dog to me LOL. Now a sahlens or a wardenski hot dog that i can stomach.
Chicago, right? :)

Like I said, if I had wanted to be a role model for children I would've become a teacher, coach, or parent. I am none of those things.

Absolutely, you should teach your children that smoking is bad for their health, just as you would teach them to say no to drugs, stay out of the liquor cabinet (if you have one), look both ways before crossing the street, and not to stick their fingers in electrical sockets. I happen to think it's far more reasonable for YOU to teach your kid to keep his finger out of the electrical socket than it is to try and shield him from electrical sockets for his entire childhood, or to demand that Disney should do away with them all together.

So, if you want to teach your child that smoking is a nasty habit (because it is) then by all means do so. If you want to do that by pointing out smokers and telling your children how disgusting they are, go right ahead. If you want to point out fat people so you can use them as a teachable moment about good nutrition, go right ahead. If you happen to have extremely conservative ideas about modesty, go ahead and point out all the "skanky" women in shorts and a tank top and tell your kids why you think it's inappropriate for women to dress that way. Personally, if I had children, I'd rather teach them class. But, hey, everyone's parenting styles are different. That's why it's not up to the smoker, the overweight person, or the woman in shorts and a tank top to conform to the values you want to instill in your children. And when it comes to people who are participating in perfectly legal activities and following the rules, that has nothing to do with being "out for themselves". They're just living their lives and minding their business.

A mother and daughter were walking past a DSA and the kid made a huge show of her holding her nose and sticking her tongue out at the smokers. Mom did nothing but smile and encourage her. One of the smokers used it as a teaching moment to tell mom she should teach her child some manners. The mom's smugness disappeared. Sometimes bullies need a call out.

Since so many have chosen to ignore the warning offered several pages ago this thread is closed. Please do not start it up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter