Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

I just realized one of my Gulf Shores pictures got added to the Fort Pickens pictures lol. Fort Pickens does not have a pier or one with a missing section 😀

Sounds good, rocketmom.

I might try it on weekdays this fall which might be easier to book than weekends (now that I'm retired, LOL). Or sometime soon.

Sounds like it's right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks, Ed

Well, to get caught up, I have to say I'm not a happy camper today. :sad2:

My research into a replacement "eyebrow controller" or control panel on my Dometic 3-way fridge shows that my model's controller was 'obsoleted' and now replaced with a new controllter.

And a new circuit board that it has to talk to.

The combo is about $125 and I'm not comfortable trying to do the replacement of the board myself so I guess I'll be hauling it to my at-home maintenance rv guy for servicing. And he'll add labor costs as he should. So to get a working fridge back will cost $400-500 for an appliance I use about 6 times a year.
:teeth: I'm so happy my face will split....

But onto today.

Today was the day to get out and check on the beach. DW decided we should head over to the Beach Pavilion on the boardwalk trail.

That's it over there across the lake from us.

It was another lovely day (but I repeat myself) going to a high of 78F and we had to head down Live Oak Drive past our neighbor's campers.

We hit the boardwalk and kept going.

Along the way we saw some high powered action among the turtles.

Around the corner I could look back across the lake and see my Aliner and truck.

(They are the left-most camper/vehicle in the picture).

They are still offering Segway tours (one in the AM, one in the PM) and one passed us on the boardwalk this morning.

By the time I got my phone out and camera app going, they were behind me.

This is where we were going. The boardwalk trail continues around the lake (with most of it paved) but this part pulls off and crosses over the beach highway to the Pavilion. It was blocked off from travel when I was here both times last year so this was a first time for me.

This is about halfway up the ramp looking across the beach highway at the Pavilion (free parking for campers with your dashboard pass, parking machines for day guests).

My little state park trying to get its name out there. Not doing a bad job either lately.

Let's check out the beach in the next post.

Bama Ed

Sorry about the fridge ed. Maybe you tube a few of them being replaced in case its easier then it sounds.

On the cross-walk you can see the Gulf on the far side.

White sand? Big beach? Check!

Looking to the west towards the town of Gulf Shores.

The water was cold to me. It's a Tuesday so not a big morning crowd. Yellow flag surf conditions today.

On the ride back I noticed a rope tied off on the boardwalk over a canal near the campground.

There was a crab cage with fake pink crab lures in it. Nothing live yet.

Maybe it was placed by the park naturalist?

Marketing the message. "Gulf Shores - Small town, big beach".

For lunch we hit the Sunliner Diner in town and I got the Buffalo Sauce Chicken sandwich with fries (no pic-too hungry). DW was in a breakfast mood and got fried eggs, grits, biscuit, and bacon.

After lunch was a wonder 90 minute NAP. Felt so good.

Later it didn't take long to knock out the first puzzle.

So I kept rolling and selected a next one to work on.

We got it going.

before we shut it down for today.

Not much hungry tonight after the big lunch at Sunliner.

Weather looks good for the next two days (through Thursday). It got down into the high 50s our first two nights but in the 70s every day and 80F forecasted tomorrow. Would like to get some seafood and whip up something delicious at the campsite tomorrow for dinner.

Bama Ed

PS - can you tell by my puzzle selections that I am trying to bank some brownie points with DW? :love2:

One last thing:

It's been a long time since I looked closely at a Gulf State Park camping receipt. I know that camping in this section of the campground at this time a year is a little over $50 a night ($55/n avg).

But I didn't know the make-up of that nightly average.

What does my Resort Fee of 15.25% cover? The pool? In April?

giphy.gif

Somebody help me understand. I'm completely lost...

giphy.gif

Ed

State...
County...
City...
Park...

Surprised there isn't an alligator, rabbit, snake, tortoise, eagle, bass, bream, and lizard fee as well

Are you utilizing ice chest currently for everything? Hate that about fridge. I got a college fridge I'll run down to you for exchange of a lakeside table view and adult beverage.

Surprised there isn't an alligator, rabbit, snake, tortoise, eagle, bass, bream, and lizard fee as well
That is the "Resort Fee".

The frig stinks. We battled the one in out 5er until I finally replaced it last year. You're an engineer. Google should be your friend on the controller replacement. I bet it isn't too hard.

j

The frig stinks. We battled the one in out 5er until I finally replaced it last year. You're an engineer. Google should be your friend on the controller replacement. I bet it isn't too hard.

My fear is that if it isn't a simple swap-and-replace, it's the testing/trouble-shooting part that I'm not good with, Jim.

But on with the trip report.

We decided to sleep in this morning and it's a good thing we did because the day started off cloudy. Our condo neighbors across the lake in Orange Beach woke up in the clouds.

But eventually this morning they cleared out and boring ol' blue sky returned.

The morning was devoted to puzzle time (me) and reading (DW) until it was time for the mid-day meal. Lunch was some shrimp stir fry in my electric skillet with fresh Gulf shrimp from Blalock's, one of the retail places in Gulf Shores (across the bridge coming south into Gulf Shores on the right). Got 1.25# of the mediums at $14/lb and I HAPPILY paid the $2/lb extra for them take the heads and veins off/out.

As a kid I remember removing heads and veins on the shrimp my dad bought and ending up with sticky, dry, smelly fingers for days. So as I said I was running to the cash register shouting, "I'll pay it, I'LL PAY IT!" (DW was a little embarrassed and pretended not to know me). Again. :rolleyes:

So with taxes and fees, here's what $21 of headless, cleaned Gulf (not Bubba Gump) shrimp look like.

DW chose the vegetables.

Add in the shrimp and a little sauce and serve it over some hot white microwave rice and OMG so good!

Yes we ate our fill and there was leftovers. (Also as a kid, after having cleaned the shrimp, my dad would cook them however and serve them up and then all us kids would count how many we each got and see if the number was offset by the size-you had to think fast with us four hungry kids around).

After a nap (they mowed the grass around the campsites while I was trying to snooze) I resumed the puzzle work. Here's how I left it for today.

During the afternoon I caught up on some back-at-home radio streams because tomorrow is Round #1 of the NFL/Bama draft. There will be updates of mine in the Chit Chat thread about that. But as I did I snacked on some oysters and homemade cocktail sauce that I had brought from home (I make my own so I can add extra horseradish-it's so good it will bring tears to your eyes). And make the hair grow out of your ears.

All washed down with a little "Happy Camper" juice.

Late this afternoon on a Wednesday we rode up to the Tanger Shopping outlets in Foley 10 miles north of Gulf Shores because I like shopping ( :sad2: )for pants at the VF Outlet (Vanity Fair). They have a great selection of khakis and blue jeans in multiple sizes, styles, and pricing. I don't like shopping but this is my go-to (gotta wear something, right? :confused3). However now the VF store is only a "Lees/Wrangler" outlet as of last October. Not a good change. But I survived.

I know that @tiggerdad is known personally at the Tanger Outlets for the boost to the economy that his family provides in their annual visits. It's like the "Cheers" tv show song where "everybody knows your (his) name".

In response to the repeated question, I told everyone that the @tiggerdad would be back at the beach this summer and so all the Tanger Outlet employee's Christmas bonuses were assured.

This was "hump" day of our stay. Weather still great (rain chance at the end of the week keeps dropping). Hope to do some "out-and-about" pix tomorrow.

Bama Ed

PS - now I'll head over to YouTube to watch Dometic fridge repair videos becuz @Teamubr shamed me into doing so.....

PPS - also for you city kidz, the Gulf shrimp have a mild flavor and if you see the Royal Reds on a menu or stock list, know that they have a stronger fish, almost lobster flavor (they swim in deeper water than the white Gulf shrimp do.

aHR0cDovL28uYW9sY2RuLmNvbS9oc3Mvc3RvcmFnZS9hZGFtLzEzZWU2MzlmYjkyOGRmOTFhOGNjZGZlOTg0MDk5MjAwL2d1bXBzaHJpbXAuanBn

Those are the Gulf shrimp in the photo.

Last edited:
Are you utilizing ice chest currently for everything? Hate that about fridge. I got a college fridge I'll run down to you for exchange of a lakeside table view and adult beverage.

Thanks for the offer, @tiggerdad but we are managing with the one cooler I brought from home with stuff I was going to use/cook/eat (I brought my homemade cocktail sauce for example). And bottle of squeeze mayo that I had bought on the Jetty Park trip.

Briefly I considered replacing the Dometic 3-way with a simple, cheap dorm fridge (there is a 120 plug in the back accessible from the outside but the cost of that would compare nearly to the stupid fix.

But my usual mode of operation here at Gulf SP honed over years of experience finds me driving past the Wal-Mart super center nearby daily so I swing by there for fresh vegetables and meats to cook and use the cooler for diet Cokes, white wine, and to chill the red apples (yum). Oh and the aforementioned cocktail sause-the secret "recipe".

I will say that I am hoping to head out early on go-home day and come back on Hwy 45 via Meridian but I got some plans that still have to hatch on this trip before I head out.

Because the same ol' fun and sun and beach and seafood and sunrise photos get old, no?

Nah. :sad2:

But thanks. Ed

I know that @tiggerdad is known personally at the Tanger Outlets for the boost to the economy that his family provides in their annual visits. It's like the "Cheers" tv show song where "everybody knows your (his) name".

In response to the repeated question, I told everyone that the @tiggerdad would be back at the beach this summer and so all the Tanger Outlet employee's Christmas bonuses were assured.

Me from their security camera last summer...
tenor-7.gif

@bama_ed the shrimp stir fry looks delicious. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Also nothing beats a good cocktail sauce. My mom makes a good cocktail sauce for our New Years get together that will absolutely open up the sinuses. Enjoying all the pics and narratives. @Bishoparc is right..........you publish an entertaining and informative trip report. I will say though that I haven't seen a panoramic as of yet. :confused3

Steve

Last night was clear with a nearly full (waning) moon.

It was one of those camping nights where walking in the moonlight cast a shadow. It can happen.

Okay today's planned were upset and tossed topsy turvy. But still cool and interesting to geeky me.

Let's go -

We went to church this morning and came back to see a crowd of people around our (closed) comfort station nearest us (for refurb). What got my attention was the law enforcement angle. See the brown vests.

My inquiries revealed that a tree trimming crew (professionals all) were coming to remove one of the large limbs that extended over the roof of the comfort station.

They brought an extender arm type saw like one of those long arm cement pumper trucks.

The limb in question is shown here (with the green ribbon around it). It runs from the tree on the lower left side just above the roofline and extends toward Sumac Drive. BTW, the tree in question is an over-200 year old oak (according to the tree company arborist I talked to). The tree is between @tiggerdad's old site number #18/ditch and the Comfort Station. That tree and the fallen one (that is still growing and over 150 years old) are known by staff and management to be much loved by guests and campers so there was never any question of removing entire trees.

While they were setting up and getting equipment in position, I met and talked to the architect for the Comfort Station project which I will cover in the next post.

Bama Ed

As I said in the prior post, I talked with the architect of the Comfort Station refurb project. He relayed the stories of how Hurricane Sally last September set back the schedule and how the pandemic disrupted their supply chain and raised costs on raw materials and labor (when you could get them).

But this is Comfort Station #1 nearest our traditional past DISMeet location between Sumac Rd and Live Oak Rd that has been shut down for refurb since last summer. Long story short, the architect said they hope to be open by June 1, 2021 (a month away).

Each CS is a rectangle with the men's on one long side and women's on the other. There were formerly two entrance doors per side but one has been blocked in so the remaining door is a sturdy fiberglass door. The architect gave me a tour so we stepped inside the door on the women's side which was open and under work to see what it looked like. And it looked "nice".

On the right are the bathroom stalls.

In the middle is the plank wall where the sinks and mirrors will go (note the blue dot decorations on the floor).

Over on the left side, the four shower stalls have been converted to a true double-wide handicapped accessible stall and two other regular wide stalls.

And yes if you look closely the shower stall walls are the old ones reused but I was told they would be "spruced up". Okay, we shall see.

Let's go back now and pick up the tree trimming crew who have set up and are ready to go this morning.

Bama Ed

The tree trimming remote arm extends like a cement pumper truck arm with a multi-function tip. They used a claw-with-a-saw on the end at the beginning and later a hook for straps. What was neat was the operator of the arm had a remote control panel "bag" slung over his shoulder that was battery-powered and wireless. So he could walk around and be in charge.

The claw/saw end attachment was used first to start taking off sections of the end then setting them on the ground across the road from @Teamubr's old site #2.

Other tree trimming members got their files out to sharpen their chains on their saws for the end operations.

Piece by piece they removed chunks of the limb until they got close to the trunk. Then it was time to send a man up into the tree to finish the job.

At the beginning the remote grappling claw would grab a section of the limb and a remote activated saw would extent down and cut it off. But at the end they used the claw but had a man use a hand-operated chain saw (must have been a 4-ft blade) to cut the pieces off.

All the other workers climbed a tree to watch (they're just big little boys after all).

Hold on!

What was interesting to me was the communication between members of the team. Once the man went into the tree, he was the one in charge and his teammates gave him any equipment he wanted and let him choose how to finish the job.

Let's move onto the next post.

Bama Ed

As they got closer to the trunk, things got fun. The fella working the arm on the remote control pack ran out of battery juice so there was a delay. And the man in the tree with the chain saw ran out of gas which had to be refilled. And the remote arm saw chain came off and hook/straps had to be installed. (glad it happens to the professionals and not just me).

Eventually they got down to the end and wanted to take off the last piece with two straps.

But it would have been too heavy. The arm was extended so far that they did the calculations right there based on extension, branch diameter and length, and determined it was too big to take in one piece but would instead have to go in two smaller pieces.

Finally the last chunk was cut off.

But all that sawdust fell on the roof. It needed to be cleaned off. So our man-in-the-trees put on a gas-powered back pack blower. I thought he was going to fly up into the air and hover on the roof.

And they hoisted him (remotely) into the air.

And he blew off the roof.

Lest you think it was all work, there was a little fun too. After the blowing was done, the man-in-the-air did an upside-down flip.

Boys will be boys, no?

So it's done. They were gone by lunchtime.

Let's wrap up today in the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
While I was being a tree-trimming groupie, DW was working on my puzzle. And when the trimming was done, I came over and finished it after lunch.

DW wanted to check out some thrift stores this afternoon so that's what we did.

Because happy wife is happy life. :love2::hyper2::duck:

On the way back to the campsite I stopped and got some red snapper and blackened it up tonight for supper. OH so good. <chef's kiss> :worship:

NFL Draft on NFL Live while I'm typing. Weather is nice. Chance of rain (over 50%) tomorrow around mid-day but then drops off. Not done with our stay yet. Going home on Saturday.

Bama Ed

PS - long update for today. I took LOTS of pics and posted as few as I thought I could get away with. And hey, Steve, pano-RAHMA in the comfort station.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter