Bama Ed Has A New Camper

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Today has been a busy day!

I travelled to Atlanta early in the AM and tonight I brought home my new camper. :drive:

In the open Trip Report which is just concluding, I had alluded to the fact that I was exploring options. Poster conner2002 picked up on that. Our Jayco popup had been wonderful for us for 10 years (175 nights of camping) but our needs were changing.

1. It's too dang heavy. It was a 12 foot box with a slide out dinette and a weight of over 3300 pounds. Since I store it in my unfinished basement through the garage door, I needed my two boys to help me roll it out (not hard) and then to roll it back in after a trip (that was the hard part). The driveway near the house has a very slight incline and those of you who remember your Law of Sine from high screwel (Scupper probably has it and Cosine and Tangents nailed) know that when you have that much weight going up hill working against gravity, it's a workout.

But my boys are in college now and will soon fly the coop (or get booted off the Bama Ed payroll ::yes::) so we were using it less and less each year.

2. It was basically a 3-season camper. We used our popup for spring-summer-fall trips but the winter saw it in the garage resting comfortably never having needed to be winterized. I know that there are things you can do with the propane heater, heated blankets, heated mattress coveres, Reflectix, Popup Gizmos, etc. but it was a lot of work. Oddly though, late December through New Years Week is when I can take a week or two of vacation and it would have been nice to use the camper. I'd like to take it to the beach (avg highs in the 60s, lows about 40) during the last week of December to watch some bowl games on tv, eat some seafood, and walk on the beach with DW. So I needed something with better insulation value and cold weather characteristics.

3. I want to do more grab-and-go with one night stayovers. DW and I would like to travel a bit more and when pulling the popup we either did a hotel stay ($$$ if we wanted to drive longer) or a KOA/state park for overnights because we needed to unhook from the car to slide out the bunks losing travel time. DW would like to take a trip up to New England and I want to go out West and the option of a Flying J or a WalMart or a Highway Rest Area would be a nice option to use sometime. But you can't do it realistically in a popup.

Plus we know how we want to travel after 10 years. We are state park/Fort campers. We don't want to haul a trailer to a rural piece of property beside a lake to dry camp. But we do want to grab-and-go.

We have a good Suburban to pull with and a garage for storage. My yard is not level and I didn't want to pay for storage. We will be empty nesters in two years :banana: :( :bitelip:.

Okay, enough already.

I bought a 2014 Aliner Expedition. And I got a hell of a deal on it. More on that later.

Here are the going home pix from today.

I hope you don't mind me sharing my excitement. It weighs over 1,000 pounds less than my popup and me and DW pushed it into the garage tonight. Once I put my Trailer Valet on it I can crank it in and DW can simply spot me. The hard foam walls provide better insulation for cold weather camping. I got the Kool Kat Heat Pump for AC and heat (11,000 BTU) which is better here down south than the little 5k AC unit that is the other option. I need no furnace since I have the Heat Pump and a little ceramic heater will do well inside. Plus when overnighting it's literally a 30 second setup so I see more one night stays at WalMart, Flying J, etc in my future.

We got the option with the sofa that converts to a bed because me and DW NEED two sitting places. Our popup had only a dinette to sit at, no couch or gaucho. DW tends to spread out her newspaper when reading it ;) leaving little room for me and my Sudoku books. So here are the inside pix (it's a 14 foot box) plus some at-home pix.

The bike receiver is no longer standard but I had them weld one on and they did a hell of a beefy job. Nice heavy fillets all around.

I'm going to call/write and ask/buy a door to cover the toilet.

LATE EDIT: Here is the picture of the cassette toilet/microwave above but I installed a free door the factory sent me upon request so I didn't have to look at the toilet all the time.

There's a flip-up extension on the toilet/cabinet side as well.

The Kool Kat ate up some storage under the sofa/bed but I'd rather have an AC that will work at the beach in August. So this camper fits our needs but everybody's needs are different.

About my deal. I got a great rate which was 21% under what Danny's Campers would price it at and 35% under the MSRP (Aliners typically don't get discounted much and hold their residual value well). Why was it a deal? The manufacturer made a mistake and left off the hot water heater. That's all. When I walked through the unit last month I laughed at the sales guy and said, "In 10 years I've never lit my hot water heater in my popup". We always camp at state parks/Fort where they have shower houses. We wash our dishes in cold water with soap suds. So the loss of a hot water heater was no biggie to me. But due to the screw up the manufacturer was eating part of the discount offered by the dealer to move it off the lot. If I want hot water, I'll buy a tea kettle.

So I'm excited. Guess I better book a stay for next year at the Fort, huh?

Bama Ed

That's what I am talking about! Nice new second home my friend! Can't wait to one day see it in person.

Richard

You will love that camper. We rented one last fall for a camping trip on Lake Superior in northern Michigan. It got down in the 30s a few nights and the heater kept us nice and warm. If I was in the market for a camper this would be it but since we usually pull the boat north its either tent camping or a hotel.

VERY Nice! Congrats on the new rig. While my DW would never go for it, I love the simplicity of those A-liners. Just what you need to enjoy the outdoors... comfortably.

Have a great time and enjoy.

j

Big Congrats it looks very nice, now hurry back so we can take a closer look at it.....Mike

That thing is cool looking, and the weight is lower than I would have expected. Wish my wife would have gone for something smaller, I seriously like smaller campers. Easier to setup, tow, maneuver, etc. That thing looks like a breeze to setup. (Added note: I went on YouTube and searched for new 2014 Aliner and found a great video on setup and some of the features. Ed you did a great job on this find.)

Ummm, noticed tire on back had no Fort Wilderness cover. Need to address that ASAP.

I am looking at a trip to Gulf State park in August as a grad present for the family. We will have to see if we can get together. I'll even feed ya...but you bring drinks.

Have one question, I didn't notice an awning. Is it an option for the model?

Congratulations Ed on the new camper. Those are really cool. Everything you need in a smaller lighter package. An idea that I agree with completely :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
My sister and her husband are looking at getting a camper and they are looking hard at these. I will be showing them your pics.

Congratulations, The ALINER should be a blessing at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Again good choice.

Holy cow my husband use to sell these. Great pictures! Good luck and enjoy!

I lied ;) my husband sold esteral trailers. These were a hard walled pop-up.

Let me be among the many who will be wishing you the very best of luck with your new camper. I enjoy reading your posts and your last TR was great. Can't wait to hear about the new adventures in the ALINER. Congratulations!! :cool1:

That thing is cool looking, and the weight is lower than I would have expected. Wish my wife would have gone for something smaller, I seriously like smaller campers. Easier to setup, tow, maneuver, etc. That thing looks like a breeze to setup. (Added note: I went on YouTube and searched for new 2014 Aliner and found a great video on setup and some of the features. Ed you did a great job on this find.)

Ummm, noticed tire on back had no Fort Wilderness cover. Need to address that ASAP.

I am looking at a trip to Gulf State park in August as a grad present for the family. We will have to see if we can get together. I'll even feed ya...but you bring drinks.

Have one question, I didn't notice an awning. Is it an option for the model?

Tiggerdad,

In fact there is an optional awning and I passed on it. Most of the reviews I read on it were negative and there is an after-market awning that is more popular but I will also pass on it for now. The windows are heavily tinted and I have two Easy Ups at home so I think I will use one of those for a shady spot (and somewhere to hang my string of Mickey globe lights).

The only options I added to this camper was the propane grill that hangs on the side (always wanted one of those for our first night meat cooking I talk about sometimes) and the bike receiver.

I also want to say that I learned so much from all of you about finding a floor plan you like. I wasn't wedded to the idea of an Aliner. We also checked out other small and ultra-lights. If I had found a perfect fit I would have bent on the storage issue, for example. We got this in Buford, GA outside of Atlanta at Southland RV who specializes in small and light weight trailers. They don't carry Class A's, 5ers, or heavy TTs.

They carry T@Bs as well which I was curious about. We looked at a clamshell and regular teardrop model and they felt claustrophobic. We also went in the Expedition because I wondered if it felt claustrophobic also which it didn't. We can sit on the couch or the dinette and the bubble windows prevent us from bumping our heads on the slanted roof. Aliner offers a dormer option (part of the A roof levels off and the window comes straight down which is an feature offered by a west coast Aliner competitor, Chalet) to give more headroom over the dinette or the sofa/bed. But the dormer window and sides are canvas which loses some of the insulative qualities, adds a little weight to the roof, and replaces the bubble. Since our headroom felt fine, we didn't need the dormers.

As for a spare tire cover, I'm going to recycle my old style Fort cover onto this but I'm also going to get a "Swoosh A" cover which is free when you join SoS. (Sons of Saban, the secret mystical society :rotfl2:)

DW and I are looking at the calendar trying to see when we can take it out on its first trip.

Bama Ed

Take it from me and my trip to the Fort in 2012, that easy up will be a lot cheaper to replace than a damaged awning.

Good move on the swish A cover.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter