Bagless in summer?

emily nicole

DIS Veteran
We haven't been to WDW in summer since 2012. We leave in a week. I read all the summer/heat tips and bought ALL THE THINGS. UV-blocking umbrella, cooling towel, neck fan. Only now I'm realizing, when I put all these things in my backpack, how heavy it all is... especially with my external battery charger, water bottle, phone, etc. I'm not sure how often I'll be wearing the neck fan and using the umbrella but when they're in my bag it's just too heavy.

I'm thinking, do I really need all this stuff?

Those that go bagless in summer, how do you deal with the heat?

OR if you bring all the things I listed, how do you carry it and not kill your back?

The only thing that I bring with me to the parks, that does not fit in my pocket, is an umbrella. But I just use the strap and carry it around my wrist. I put on sunblock when I leave in the morning and have never had to reapply it. My phone and my very small wallet go into my pockets. After almost 40 trips to WDW, I have never needed anything that I could not easily get there.

The only thing that I bring with me to the parks, that does not fit in my pocket, is an umbrella. But I just use the strap and carry it around my wrist. I put on sunblock when I leave in the morning and have never had to reapply it. My phone and my very small wallet go into my pockets. After almost 40 trips to WDW, I have never needed anything that I could not easily get there.
Thanks for your feedback. Do you feel like the umbrella makes a big difference for the heat? Or do you use it more for rain?

I personally would have died without my sun umbrella. Seriously. We used 2 sun umbrellas daily plus a spray fan the blue Disney ones . I had a purse but would recommend the backpack for sure . We brought 4 waters everyday and got many free cups too . It’s freaking hot . Don’t forget to plan your indoor AC times . Have a great trip !

I personally would have died without my sun umbrella. Seriously. We used 2 sun umbrellas daily plus a spray fan the blue Disney ones . I had a purse but would recommend the backpack for sure . We brought 4 waters everyday and got many free cups too . It’s freaking hot . Don’t forget to plan your indoor AC times . Have a great trip !
Thank you! Do you have an umbrella suggestion? I bought two that are Coolibar brand, supposed to be compact, but they are huge and heavy.

We only bring what we absolutely need to the parks. Lugging around a large bag of things isn't really necessary. Apply sunscreen before you leave your hotel. It isn't like you are going swimming where you might need to reapply. We wouldn't go to Disney in July as it is just too hot to be comfortable no matter how much water you drink or what type of comfortable clothes you wear. Walking MILES in all the heat is just exhausting and we prefer other times of the year. A small umbrella is handy for sudden showers, but as crowded as Disney parks are, you would have to be constantly aware of not poking other people if you used it all the time. Unless you have some sort of medical issue relating to sun exposure is the only reason I could see using an umbrella when not raining.

We only bring what we absolutely need to the parks. Lugging around a large bag of things isn't really necessary. Apply sunscreen before you leave your hotel. It isn't like you are going swimming where you might need to reapply. We wouldn't go to Disney in July as it is just too hot to be comfortable no matter how much water you drink or what type of comfortable clothes you wear. Walking MILES in all the heat is just exhausting and we prefer other times of the year. A small umbrella is handy for sudden showers, but as crowded as Disney parks are, you would have to be constantly aware of not poking other people if you used it all the time. Unless you have some sort of medical issue relating to sun exposure is the only reason I could see using an umbrella when not raining.
We absolutely prefer other times of year too! That's why we haven't been in summer since 2012. December is our favorite. We are making a quick trip down for Boo Bash. It was supposed to be 3 days but has morphed into 4... lol.
Good point about the umbrella poking people. Now I'm really conflicted, to bring one or not.

And definitely no medical issue here. Just a weenie in the heat!

I tend to go bagless, my last trip in April I did wear a fanny pack some days. Normally I just have my phone in one pocket, my glasses around my neck and carry a water bottle in my hand or grab free water. My umbrella has a clip on it so I can clip it on a belt loop if I have one, otherwise I just strap it on my wrist. For the April trip, I had to carry a few extra masks in a ziplock and some mini sanitizer wipes (in the same ziplock) a little bottle of sanitizer (which I never used since there was plenty all around the parks). My phone has a little pocket on the back that will hold my ID, a cc and the room key (I stay at Dolphin) so I don't need a wallet. I tend to stick a $20 in my pocket. I did stick a poncho in the fanny pack since I had it but normally I just use the disposable ones in a ziplock and fold them down real small and that fits in a pocket. I wear golf skorts which have zip pockets and even have back pockets so I don't normally need a bag. I'll be going in Sept. with my son, his SO and their baby girl so I'm thinking I might use a small backpack just to throw an extra umbrella and poncho in to cover her stroller with. I have a real small clear one that will hold just about that. All my umbrellas are the small compact kind. Not very useful in a full on drenching with wind but o.k. for a regular rain and to keep the sun off while in line. I figure they are also good in line for social distancing.

We found that we rarely got into our bag and when we did, it was for stuff that I could fit in pockets. Therefore, we are going bagless on our upcoming trip. We don't use sun umbrellas or neck fans.

I’d personally bring only one cooling item into the park and ditch the rest. It’s just too much to carry all the cooling items unless you really can stand the heat. Usually I carry a mini backpack with my wallet, phone, keys, mini deodorant, mints, small bottle of sunscreen, a granola bar or some other small snack, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, and one cooling item(either a cooling towel, accordion fan, or umbrella).

I’d personally bring only one cooling item into the park and ditch the rest. It’s just too much to carry all the cooling items unless you really can stand the heat. Usually I carry a mini backpack with my wallet, phone, keys, mini deodorant, mints, small bottle of sunscreen, a granola bar or some other small snack, hand sanitizer, sunglasses, and one cooling item(either a cooling towel, accordion fan, or umbrella).
That's a great way to look at it! When we went in August 2012, all we had were neck fans. We were hot but we did survive. Lol.

Mini deodorant is a great idea, need to add that to my packing list.

Just got back and we needed a backpack (3 kids in tow) but if you are not wanting to bring a ton of stuff the fanny pack/money belt is a good suggestion. I was able to fit my license, cc, some money, phone, a poncho (in original packing) in a cheap-o money belt. Just no skintight shirts or else it looks weird. Cooling towel was passed around but generally lived on someone's neck at all times, its bag can go in the belt or a pocket.
In addition to mini deoderant I would say anti-chaf stick and/or benedryl cooling spray if you are at all prone to chub rub. All three of those things were life (thigh) savers!

Thanks for all the responses!

We are home from our trip and didn’t find the neck fans, umbrellas or cooling towels to be particularly helpful. We ended up abandoning all of them.

What I think helped most was wearing light, moisture wicking, workout type clothing and staying SUPER hydrated. As well as taking AC and shade breaks whenever possible!

We did make some use of the umbrellas on a rainy day but honestly most of the day it was too windy for the umbrella so I was glad for our ponchos and quick dry clothing.

hope this helps someone else! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter