Back to the Island-Double Dip Delight!Western COMPLETE~Cruising with a baby w/PICS!

After gorging ourselves yet again at Palo, we headed back to the rooms to drop off the food for the kids. We found our FE exploding with goodies. All of our Dis friends had obviously been busy this morning.

cruise071-1.jpg

After unloading everything we headed to the clubs to get the kiddos. Brendan was down in Animator’s Palate doing the “Goofin’ around with Animation” activity. Savannah was doing Flubber with the Club kids so we checked on Brendan first. Not surprisingly he wasn’t interested in leaving this activity, so instead we headed up to see if Savannah was ready. She was, and proudly showed off her flubber and the picture she made during free time:

cruise080.jpg

Sarah still had a while to go in Flounders so we headed back down to see how the animation was progressing. They weren’t quite done so we headed out to the deck 4 promenade. We relaxed in the comfy blue lounge chairs and wasted time making good use of the photo ops.

A shout out to the nice lady who took this picture for us:

cruise084.jpg

We went back inside and browsed through our pictures in Shutters. We made a nice stack of our shots, which was easy since we didn’t have too many yet. We scoured the shelves intently looking for the beach shots from Castaway Cay. We quickly found Brendan’s and Savannah’s but none of the shots of Sarah. When we were sure we had canvassed every single shot on the walls and knew we did not just overlook them, we asked at the desk if any CC shots had not yet been printed. They said they had all been done, and handed over a proof sheet to look over. When we finally found where the pics of Sarah should have been (which was easy since they would have been in the middle of the pics of the rest of us), there was nothing there. We determined the photographer must have deleted the shots of Sarah. That was a big disappointment.

Finally it was time for the animation activity to be done. It was already early afternoon, and the pools were calling us. While the kids finished the activity, we took some pics of me in my black & white outfit in the Animator’s Palate foyer...but since I look bloated as a whale from my brunch and have a silly champagne-enhanced grin on my face in all of them I will decline to post them.

Brendan had an absolute blast goofin’ around with animation. Here you can see the big picture of goofy they were instructed in drawing, and Brendan’s finished creation:

cruise095-1.jpg

cruise098.jpg

It was now time to go get Sarah. We had hoped to get in some adult pool time before having to pick her up but it just didn’t work out. Back to the rooms to change into our bathing suits, and when we opened the door…….a surprise! There were five lime green wrapped boxes on our bed!

Secret Mickey was here!!!!

The kids went straight for the gifts and it was pretty much impossible to corral them and stop the carnage. This is why we don’t have a picture of the boxes still wrapped. (Sorry!) They tore into them and produced red Lenox boxes. Quick as lightning those were opened too and out came absolutely gorgeous Mickey and Minnie Mouse Ears ornaments, personalized in gold with each of the kids’ names!

Ron and I were not left out; we each had Mickey Mouse birthstone ornaments. They were absolutely stunning and we were so delighted! As soon as I saw them I previously remembered the Secret Mickey anonymously asking if we celebrated Christmas, and I have to say this was just the best idea ever. You see, on our Christmas tree there are no plain glass balls. Every single ornament on our tree is personal and special and the must-have souvenir anytime we go someplace is a Christmas ornament for our tree. They date all the way back to 1982, when I bought my first ornament out of the Avon catalog at 8 years old. There could have been no better gift for all of us, and for me especially.

As soon as I stopped to think about it for a second though, I was hit with a fleeting wave of horror….there was no way these ornaments were under the Secret Mickey “Limit” of $25. Ron turned to me and said, “So it is $25/per person allotment!” And I said No! Well…I didn’t think so….well….maybe….hmmm. I would have to find Drea or Kimberly quick to verify that I had not misunderstood!

Sorry I could not get a better close-up of them…
cruise100.jpg

cruise101.jpg

Now, at the time we noted our Secret Mickey had not revealed themselves. I wondered if they were going to, or had planned on keeping their generosity a mystery. Of course we wanted to be sure and give them a proper thank you, so now we wondered anxiously if we should wait for the big reveal or use our amateur sleuthing skills to figure it out on our own.

Actually, I have to admit we were pretty sure we had already figured it out. Remember, our Secret Mickey had placed magnets on our door, and they were unique magnets. They had a nice scalloped edge on them. The day before Ron and Brendan had been cruising round Deck 6 admiring all the magnets and door decorations and FE’s. Ron thought he found magnets that were similar to those placed on our door back on 6 aft. He took me past the door, and I looked at those and wasn’t quite sure they really matched up to what we had on ours. And wouldn’t you know, as we walked back forward to our rooms and we passed 6048, I gasped “LOOK!” and pointed at the magnets on the door. It was a match. And we looked up and saw the names….it was Denise and her family (RJandMKsmommy). Now, we couldn’t be positive without confirmation from the horse’s mouth but we were pretty certain. Now the dilemma, do we wait or do we proactively thank them….hmmmm…

We love them….THANK YOU, SECRET MICKEY!!

cruise102.jpg

After the delight of our Christmas in September, we changed clothes in to pool wear. The kids paused in the room long enough to chow down the Palo leftovers. Didn’t they just eat in the clubs???

cruise105.jpg

cruise104.jpg

Up on deck 9, the kids made a beeline for the Mickey pool…and slide.
It had gotten a bit overcast and we were surprised to find two chairs right by the pool.

cruise106-1.jpg

It was pretty dead for a sea day:

cruise111.jpg

cruise126.jpg

Sarah chills out:

cruise113.jpg

The Goofy pool wasn’t too bad either:
cruise152.jpg

This much open space in the Goofy bathtub-er, pool is hard to come by:

cruise144-1.jpg

The kids ran back and forth between the pools and had a blast. Sarah finally woke up and decided to join the party.
cruise131.jpg

cruise136.jpg

Not long afterwards it started to sprinkle. Most people stayed put, but I knew what was coming and grabbed a table under the deck overhang. Sure enough, as soon as I did, downpour! There was a mass exodus from the pool area, and everyone was scrambling for a table.

Luckily I had the foresight to get one when I did!

cruise155.jpg

After our lovely gifts we were all in a great mood no rainstorm was going to dampen!

Up next: Quietly Making Noise

I just want to give Sarah a HUGE hug through the computer!!!!! So glad to see an update!!!! :)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that all of you liked your secret Mickey gifts and I SWEAR to you they were within the $25 limit, we live about 10 minutes from the Lexon outlet and each ornament was $5, I PROMISE, I dont like to give out how much I spent but I would have been feeling nervous had I received them!
I have to tell everyone else that Jen had tears in her eyes when I finally admitted it was us, Man they are good detectives. I was so excited that they liked them! Those gifts never left my side from the minute we left home (phila) until the minute we placed them in the room. i was glad Jen and her family drove I hoped the would have room and less chance of breaking!
P.S. Sarah is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stinking adorable!

I love hearing how people revealed their gifts and what they did. Also how do you remember all this.. thank god I had a laptop with us to type some of it up cuz by now.. the old noggen is getting kind of fuzzy LOL add the alcohol and my memory is SHOT lol

btw I Sarah is adorable.... the other kids too of course. P says he thinks he remember seeing Savannah in the clubs one time... maybe he said LOL

I just want to give Sarah a HUGE hug through the computer!!!!! So glad to see an update!!!! :)

:hug: Right back atcha! She bites now, though. Gotta watch out for that tooth!

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that all of you liked your secret Mickey gifts and I SWEAR to you they were within the $25 limit, we live about 10 minutes from the Lexon outlet and each ornament was $5, I PROMISE, I dont like to give out how much I spent but I would have been feeling nervous had I received them!
I have to tell everyone else that Jen had tears in her eyes when I finally admitted it was us, Man they are good detectives. I was so excited that they liked them! Those gifts never left my side from the minute we left home (phila) until the minute we placed them in the room. i was glad Jen and her family drove I hoped the would have room and less chance of breaking!
P.S. Sarah is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stinking adorable!

I would like to say there is no WAY I believe you about the cost of the ornments, but I know you wouldn't lie so..!:rotfl2: I was so sure that it was $25/pp and that I had messed up (of course we hadn't actually bought our SM's stuff yet since we knew what we were getting them could only be purchased onboard, so we could have spent the extra $75 or so still! :rotfl: I didn't find Drea until several days later but I had pulled Kimberly aside at dinner that night to make sure. I think I also bugged Amy and Val about it too! :lmao: What a great idea that was though. When I saw them I was surprised they made it all the way down in perfect condition like that...you did good! And you did a great job getting them in the room like that, we didn't notice you hanging around the area conspicuously or anything. That was one of the things that conerned me most when we went to deliver ours. Although it turned out to not be an issue, I was still suprised to get the crazy "What are you doing dropping off suprise gifts in these people's rooms when they are not there" look from the SR Host, though.

I'll post some pics when we get the tree up. Hopefully this weekend! :thumbsup2

And thanks so much again!:santa:

I love hearing how people revealed their gifts and what they did. Also how do you remember all this.. thank god I had a laptop with us to type some of it up cuz by now.. the old noggen is getting kind of fuzzy LOL add the alcohol and my memory is SHOT lol

btw I Sarah is adorable.... the other kids too of course. P says he thinks he remember seeing Savannah in the clubs one time... maybe he said LOL

Yeah, as time is going by I am having a harder and harder time remembering all the little details. Having so many pictures helps me keep the general timeline straight but I didn't take any notes...so if by day 6 the installments are like a paragraph long you'll know why!:rolleyes1 Just last night Ron & I were discussing which days we saw what movies and I had it all wrong. Whoopsie. Not that anyone would have cared when we saw Wall-E and when we saw Beverly Hills Chihuaua.

Yeah when I read your segment about P & J doing flubber I realized they were probably there the same time as Savannah. It just won't be the same next time cruising without my peeps!:sad2:

Great report! Are sure your youngest isn't named Delaney:) . We are taking our first cruise in April. Spring break 7 day Magic Eastern. Hopefully the first of many!:cool1:

Great report! Are sure your youngest isn't named Delaney:) . We are taking our first cruise in April. Spring break 7 day Magic Eastern. Hopefully the first of many!:cool1:

Well....Alllright Freddy! You know I love your screen name. My husband is "Livingis2me" when he posts...lol....I should have been Marvin Gardens!:lmao:

And I will admit we considered "Delaney" as a middle name but that might have been too stalkerish. (Lol, Savannah's middle name isn't Jane either). Back in the mid 90's we did go "hang out" outside Bubba's West Palm Beach house. Walked on his private beach and took pictures. :rolleyes1

Anyhoo, thanks for reading and yes..you will really enjoy your first cruise!:goodvibes They are addicting!

I have loved reading your trip report!!! we were Intially supposed to be on this cruise and then went in Feb 2008 instead. I can see I am wishing I was on with all of you...you seem a blast. I love those lenox ornaments...I will have to hunt for them. Thank you for sharing. Keep it coming:yay:

I have loved reading your trip report!!! we were Intially supposed to be on this cruise and then went in Feb 2008 instead. I can see I am wishing I was on with all of you...you seem a blast. I love those lenox ornaments...I will have to hunt for them. Thank you for sharing. Keep it coming:yay:

Hi Michelle! :goodvibes

Its too bad you did not end up sailing with us. This sure was a great group. I totally understand your taking the opportunity to cruise sooner, though!:thumbsup2

Thanks for reading!

Jen! Happy New Year! Hope you had a Magical Christmas! I'm glad DH asked you to post, cuz I totally missed your last update - loved the ornaments!
Brendan did a great job on his Goofy drawing!
Wow, the pool did look a little sparse - good timing! pirate:

Please update!!!!
:rolleyes: :blush:

lol love how hubby is telling you to update LOL :rotfl2:

how bout we get a hubbys perspective?
;) I have to tell you, more of what I write is heavily influenced by his perspective than mine. LOL. But he will have a whole lot to say in the Cozumel installments. He had quite an...um...adventure. But i'll try not to make you wait as long as you have for the next one....

Jen! Happy New Year! Hope you had a Magical Christmas! I'm glad DH asked you to post, cuz I totally missed your last update - loved the ornaments!
Brendan did a great job on his Goofy drawing!
Wow, the pool did look a little sparse - good timing! pirate:
Merry (late) Christmas and Happy (also late) New Year to you, too! I've been slacking I know! More good stuff on the way!

I'm glad you guys didn't forget me. With the holidays and working (very busy) nights...I've gotten a little off track. I hate not getting the DIS email notifications because those really help me keep up with my subscriptions...without them I am lost. (Yes....I know I shouldn't forget my own thread)

BUT the good news is I am working on the next installment. It will be up tonight or tomorrow! :goodvibes

:rolleyes: :blush:

;) I have to tell you, more of what I write is heavily influenced by his perspective than mine. LOL. But he will have a whole lot to say in the Cozumel installments. He had quite an...um...adventure. But i'll try not to make you wait as long as you have for the next one....

HAHA ohhh it sounds like he and E really had a good time while in Cozumel. Cant wait to compare. OH and dont feel bad Im slacken too! :confused3

More thundershowers loomed ahead and as we passed out of one, we decided a cloudy rainy afternoon was perfect for…a Fish Extender delivery! We went back to the rooms to grab our bag ‘o booty and get Sarah all bundled up in her Baby Bjorn carrier (that we used once…just this one time!) Using the stroller through the narrow ship hallways was inconvenient, but this worked well. Plus she looked darn cute!

cruise163.jpg

We headed up to deck 8 first. The penthouse. It was our first time to venture up there, and it was fun seeing the doors of the Walt and Roy suites. (Just the doors, sigh! :confused3 ) The hallways up there were kind of weird, they jut in and out, not just straight halls, I guess to accommodate the large suites. We used our great Treasure Maps, made by Stella (FinallyBoughtDVC), that mapped out the floorplan of the decks and indicated the rooms with FE’s outside. It was a whole lot of fun to check out all the door decorations and magnets, and all of the FE designs. Folks were really creative and we saw everything from the fancy, embroidered variety to simple bags and even a huge flag with a pocket in the back (took a few minutes to figure that one out!) It took a bit longer than we anticipated, even to just finish one deck. At the end we had one “encounter” that sent us scurrying to the stairwell to avoid detection, before we realized doing FE drops didn’t necessarily have to be anonymous (especially since we identified ourselves on the gift tag!). Our gifts were fairly simple. I did not go into getting different gifts for different age groups like some did, we had a straight-scross the board gift that everyone could use. Pens. Personalized with our cruise date and a Pirate Mickey Head (that I had to design in Adobe Illustrator, which wasn’t easy!) They also said on them, “I sailed on the Double Dip Delight. September 27 – October 4, 2008”. They came in multicolors and we dropped them in bundles of two attached to a gift card with ribbon…lime green, of course. They weren’t very inexpensive to buy, but as we came to see, this group spared no expense in making and buying really cool (and obviously pricey!) FE gifts. Doing the deliveries was fun, but we realized since tonight was formal night, we had to hold off the rest of the decks for another time, and head downstairs and get ready.

Our first stop after getting all gussied up was John Charles’ family cabaret show down in Rockin’ Bar D. Folks were arriving in droves when we got there, but apparently we were a little early. We got a seat close to the front, and the kids sat in the first row with some other children. Behind us, the room quickly filled to standing room only. A packed house. Sarah enjoyed the opportunity for a nap.

cruise173-2.jpg

cruise180-1.jpg

The show started, much to our delight with another Buffet tune. I think this guy can do Buffett better than Buffett himself. Just sayin’.

After Buffett came the Beach Boys, and it was here that the peanut gallery got a little rowdy. The girls, mainly Savannah and her partner in crime next to her, a little girl named Molly were the main offenders. They hooted and hollered, cheered loudly and danced enthusiastically. Here is a little example:

Of course John Charles noticed their mania, and made a comment about the apparent easy availability of sugar onboard. And Savannah began a routine of jumping up and dancing crazily behind his back as he turned to face the other side of the crowd. Ron had to stand up, lean over there and tell her to calm down, which was only marginally effective.

The show was fun enough, as John Charles took requests from the crowd and played any and every song people could think of. It was pretty impressive, though most of the songs were pretty mainstream. The peanut gallery of kiddos finally calmed down a bit, and at then end of the show, they were invited up onstage to help perform the song “Cleanest Hands in the World”.
cruise191-2.jpg

Here it is:

I don't know who the girl on the right in the black corset dress is. I can tell by the lanyard she is part of our meets thread, I just don't know who she belongs to. She's a good little dancer, though!

After the show, we entered the atrium and found one picture line marginally short. We hopped in line, and the kids occupied themselves while we waited.

cruise195-1.jpg

The picture wasn’t the greatest ever taken of us, but since it was the only one in the Formal Night outfits, we bought it.

formal1001.jpg

Afterwards we occupied ourselves taking porthole pics down in Beat Street.

cruise208-1.jpg

cruise209-1.jpg

cruise212.jpg

cruise219.jpg

Then it was time for the Golden Mickeys. We headed to the Walt Disney Theatre and got our seats in front of the big aisle, towards the left of the room. As the kids watched the red carpet interviews, they realized since we did not arrive via the red carpet and therefore did not see the hoopla, they decided they wanted their shot at the big screen. They ran outside to the interview area and Brendan was actually the last one to show up on the screen to be interviewed before the Captain arrived. They scooted back into the auditorium and we enjoyed the performance, as always.

Afterwards it was time for dinner. Tonight was the new highly anticipated Golden Mickeys Menu, in Lumiere’s. We started with crusty French rolls and spiced olive oil dip.

Clowning around at the dinner table:

cruise232.jpg

cruise233.jpg

For appetizers, Ron chose the Grilled Bay Scallops with Grapefruit Glaze, which were unremarkable. I had the Prosciutto with Chilled Honeydew (which also included cantelope), which was fine, but not spectacular. For the soup/salad course, Ron had the Salad of Mixed Baby Greens with Gorgonzola Dressing, again unremarkable. I had the Sangria Bisque, which was a cold mixed-berry soup with sangria. Yum! It was by far the best cold soup onboard. Creamy, rich, raspberry flavored and booze to boot.

For Entrees, the kids chose the usual Minnie’s Mini Burger, nothing new there. Both Ron and I selected Beef Wellington, which I highly anticipated. It came out looking fabulous, with the crust scrumptiously browned. My beef, however was quite a bit undercooked…rare I’d say. Ron’s was much more well-done. Mine also seemed slimy between the meat and the crust, which his did not. Our Entrees obviously had come out of two different pans. The flavor of it was still very good, and had mine been cooked just a tad more, would have been fantastic. Besides the not-as-good-as-it-could-have-been-Beef Wellington and aside from Palo, it was my favorite meal of the cruise.

The best was yet to come however, and each and every one of us selected the Golden Chocolate, Chocolate Award. Simply described in the menu as “The ultimate chocolate experience”, it was two decadent layers of dense chocolate cake, sandwiching chocolate mousse, decorated with a gold-embossed ticket.

We’ve got the Golden Ticket!

cruise234.jpg

cruise235.jpg

cruise236.jpg

It was every bit as good as it looked, and in hindsight we should have ordered four more to go. (Next time.) It topped off an overall great meal, with very good food and our usual outstanding service by our private serving team. I really enjoyed every course of the Golden Mickeys Menu and I eagerly anticipate our next opportunity to sample from it!

Back upstairs, we got the kids settled in. We were greeted by a trumpeting Elephant in the kids’ room, and kissing swans in our room!

cruise237.jpg

cruise200.jpg

cruise201.jpg

Sarah was tuckered out and was quickly asleep. Savannah watched TV in their room and Brendan watched TV in our room, and kept watch over sleeping Sarah while we hustled down to catch John Charles’ adult cabaret show. We did not arrive as early this time, and the joint was almost full. We did snag a table back by the bar, which was lucky, because in minutes the seats were gone and folks were standing in the back of the room. And we were packed in like sardines, too. The show was ok, certainly not “adult” by any means. It was pretty much the same as the earlier show, audience-requested songs, I guess the only “adult” part of it was the AM Gold type of songs requested. Oh well. I had a creamy cinnamon martini that was really tasty but I forget the name of it. About 15 minutes into the show, Ron ran up to check on the kids. The girls were both sleeping, and Brendan was holding down the fort watching endless loops of Drake and Josh (that one is on the Disney Channel, right?) and Wizards of Waverly Place. He came back down and we relaxed and enjoyed the show. The final number was a deconstruction of the song , “A Horse With No Name” by America, and while still squeaky-clean was pretty funny. Don’t ask me why I was expecting something raunchy out of an “adult” show, it was still a Disney ship, after all.

After strolling Deck 9 and getting drinks, we went downstairs to call it a night. Tomorrow we would be in port, our first time in beautiful Grand Cayman.

Up Next: Carnival World

John Charles really packed them in our our WB Panama cruise too! In fact, they kept him on the ship longer that his original engagement. :thumbsup2 They finally did his final 'adult' show in the Walt Disney Theater...SRO.

Yay and update! I love the pictures! I'll have to watch the videos later! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter