Back to back reservation at same resort?

Bump. Any recent experiences/reports?

Recent experiences won't help to predict your chances it all comes down to availability of the room. If you make your reservation at the same time or a few months in advance there is a bigger chance and make sure you link those reservations. Otherwise if the inventory manager goes through and puts someone after you in the room then you will have to move otherwise it will mess up their inventory. Busier season you get less chance.

We have had back to back reservations for the same category of room at the same resort three times. Twice we have been moved and once they called in the morning to say that we could stay in our room. None of the times did I get the feeling that they were at capacity even for our room category. Two of the three reservations were linked (50/50). They were so friendly about our requests to stay that I believe that they really couldn't do much about it. Obviously others have had much better luck, so take our results with a grain of salt.

We did this in 2009 at POFQ and thankfully did not have to change rooms. The trip started out with just 4 nights for DD and myself, next thing I know BFF was joining us and added 3 nights. We did have to check-out then back in but that was all.

We do this all of the time. It is not uncommon in the DVC realm as you use points from different contracts for the same stay... Just tell them at check in that you have a second reservation and would like to stay in the room. As said you do have to check in twice and they will issue you new keys... Just as a warning...if you use your room key to lock the room safe make sure to unlock it before you check in for the second leg of your stay. I didn't and when i checked in the second time the desk CM took the old keys and gave us new ones... Meaning i could not get into the safe... :rolleyes:

We do this all of the time. It is not uncommon in the DVC realm as you use points from different contracts for the same stay... Just tell them at check in that you have a second reservation and would like to stay in the room. As said you do have to check in twice and they will issue you new keys... Just as a warning...if you use your room key to lock the room safe make sure to unlock it before you check in for the second leg of your stay. I didn't and when i checked in the second time the desk CM took the old keys and gave us new ones... Meaning i could not get into the safe... :rolleyes:

We have also had this happen when using DVC. So far, we have stayed in the same room. I know that we always mention when we check-in that we have back to back reservations and ask if we can stay in the same room. The only thing we have had to do is check-out and check back in at the front desk and get new cards that have the proper dates for the reservation on them.

Thank you all for the information. We just added a night on to the beginning of our trip and requested that the reservations be linked. My question is, we have always done online check-in. Should I avoid doing that this time?

We had back to back reservations at the BWV (cash stay) last month. Same room category. We asked that the reservations be linked, then confirmed the info when we first checked in. A couple days before our second reservation we confirmed once again. CM at the front desk said we would be staying in the same room and that we wouldn't have to come to the desk to check out/check in and that our new KTTW cards would be slipped under our door. Everything went just as she told us so for us it was perfect. :thumbsup2

Hope yours goes as smoothly.

It solely depends on the occupancy rate when you are there, so there's no way to predict it. You have to decide if the potential cost savings of doing two reservations is worth a few hours of hassle and inconvenience in the worst case, or if it isn't.

If the hotel is full, chances that you'll have to move increase. If the person who assigns the room doesn't pay attention to your linked reservation or another room scenario arises due to overbooking, etc. - you may have to move because they may have you assigned to a different room. If it's a slower time of year, they can probably accommodate you so you can stay in the room. Whatever you do, make sure you call and link the reservations by calling the reservation line. Don't wait until you get there to link them.

Recent experiences won't help to predict your chances it all comes down to availability of the room. If you make your reservation at the same time or a few months in advance there is a bigger chance and make sure you link those reservations. Otherwise if the inventory manager goes through and puts someone after you in the room then you will have to move otherwise it will mess up their inventory. Busier season you get less chance.

The time I had to change rooms at CSR, I had booked the day the AP discounts came out. Because I had already purchased airfare, I couldn't change my dates. The first day of the trip didn't fall under the AP discount dates, so I had to make two back to back ressies. When I made the ressie, I had the CM link them, but even though I had made the ressie months in advance, had them linked at that time, and had the CM note at check in that the ressies were still linked, I still had to change rooms that second day.

I still don't understand why you would have to switch rooms if both your reservations are in the same category. ?? If your room was assigned to someone else then they should get the room Disney had assigned to you. People ask for, and get, a different room than that which was assigned to them all the time.

I think (just conjecture here) that the earlier you check out/in in the morning the more likely you are to stay in the same room.

Thank you all for the information. We just added a night on to the beginning of our trip and requested that the reservations be linked. My question is, we have always done online check-in. Should I avoid doing that this time?

I guess i don't totally understand. If you just added a day they should be able to do so w/o issuing you a new reservation number (you are just extending you existing reservation). Unless the package has changed (i.e. you have a package for part of your stay and not for the other) or you are changing resorts it should be the same reservation number. DVC is different as you are paying for the reservation segments from different accounts... My suspicion is since it is only a single day added at the beginning they will view it as a standard single reservation. I doubt you have any thing to be concerned about. Do online check in if you like. It should not make a difference. I would not even think twice about it. Have a great time and relax. With the millions of reservations Disney deals with each year they make very few mistakes (very few). :)

I still don't understand why you would have to switch rooms if both your reservations are in the same category. ?? If your room was assigned to someone else then they should get the room Disney had assigned to you. People ask for, and get, a different room than that which was assigned to them all the time.

I think (just conjecture here) that the earlier you check out/in in the morning the more likely you are to stay in the same room.

Different specifics of the rooms. I imagine far more likely to occur when they aren't linked, but part of is that some rooms are different types of rooms but still in the same category.

Take the handicap accessible rooms, for one length of the trip, they may not have need of one, so they could assign that room to you easily, while they have another guest coming during the second length that does need it.

I think it might also have to do with housekeeping. For instance, if Joe wants to stay in his room but Sally is checking in that day and assigned to it, and say Sally did online check-in and is arriving at 12pm, they may have assigned Sally to this room since it's one of the first to be cleaned and she's arriving early. I would think the chances of this would lessen if rooms are linked. How early the person who wants to stay in the room checks in or out may help, since they still have the flexibility to move rooms around IF the CM is willing to do the work. The CM may just say that someone else is assigned to the room and you're SOL. I once had a CM willing to move things around so I could get the room I wanted, and it took literally 25 minutes at the desk and help from a manager.

Another reason may be if a group or convention is arriving - usually if a group has a block of rooms, they keep them all together. If you are smack in the middle of it, they may move you. This could be for a wedding party or a group like Pop Warner or a convention. If it's a wedding party block that will be there, that may be harder to find out than if a group is there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter