Back from SSR **Victims of a crime**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my wallet stolen right out of my purse when I was on vacation years ago. I had everything stolen , checkbook, cc's, money, ID. It really messes up a vacation. I now make sure that I carry only what is important on trips. This last time I went to WDW, I had a backpack with a combination spring clip lock. It is not the quickest , but I knew they would have to cut open my backpack to get a any valueables

I'm surprised these posts got to page 3 before someone mentioned luggage locks. We ALWAYS lock our luggage when it's left somewhere, even if we leave it in the room. We don't leave valuables in it, but regardless we always lock it. Those good combination locks only run about $5-10 apiece and are well worth it.

I too am anxious to hear the whole story. Sorry to hear the OP had such a bad experience. Anyone can be a crime victim, regardless of what precautions you take.

So sorry to hear about your attack of kidney stones and the theft of your money at SSR. I'm sure this is one vacation you won't enjoy remembering.

I understand what you mean about Disney Security. My DD's girlfriend had money stolen from her purse in her room when we stayed at BCV. We had to give a report to Disney security and the housekeeping manager on duty. I felt that the housekeeping manager would get to the bottom of it before Disney security. When we reported it to Disney security, I asked if we needed to report it the sheriff's department. Although they said we could if we wanted to do so, I felt they would prefer to handle it in-house. And they did. Within 36 hours, they had caught the housekeeping CM and gave our DD's girlfriend back the cash she had stolen.

Although it doesn't sound that Disney has resolved your situation as quickly as they did ours, I hope they do so soon to your satisfaction.

Donna

Originally posted by K9pal
We ALWAYS lock our luggage when it's left somewhere, even if we leave it in the room.

I learned the hard way that the lock doesn't mean much. I was on a company trip where the luggage was picked up at O'Hare for us by the hotel and delivered right to the Hyatt. Somewhere along the line, the luggage lock was removed and the zipper on the bag destroyed (this was pre-9/11). I had nothing valuable in it and I don't think anything was taken. Anything valuable always stays with me and is never handed over to any bellhop, airline carrier, etc.

It may not even be a Disney employee who is responsible. There are professional thieves who watch for someone who seems like they may be leaving them an opportunity. The one "incident" I had (stolen license plate) at OKW long ago was when they were still under construction. As soon as I saw the headline of this post that was my first thought -- the confusion of a new resort and the distraction of construction are prime covers for petty thieves.

As understanding as they are, Disney themselves are very often the target of scam artists. They cannot be completely understanding in cases where it's hard to provide proof. For every person who really has cash, jewelery, etc. stolen -- there are 5 more who misplaced it and 2 who are just out to scam Disney. It makes it tough on honest people who made a mistake, like these people, and were too trusting.

You mentioned the ambulance -- Did you find Disney to be helpful in your medical emergency? A few years back Disney and DVC madeup for any nitpicks I ever had by the wonderful help they gave to my family in an emergency at Epcot.

Also on the upside -- thanks very much for the report on SSR!

Originally posted by pumpkinboy
Good idea, goofy4tink! Where do you go to get that sort of thing?

I got some at Target. They are from a company called Master Lock. Disposable luggage closures. Says they meet airline security screening standards. They come in a pack of 12, 3 each of 4 colors. Sure, someone could get them off with a pair of scissors. But, I was planning on putting a mark on them, so that if they were removed and then replaced, I would know. I carry my valuables with me, in my carry-on, so I'm not too concerned that someone is going to steal my undies. But the thought of someone putting something 'into' my bag makes me more than a little nervous. Would it happen? Probably not. Could it happen? Sure.

As many of you are aware, airport security will no longer allow you to lock your checked luggage. We frequently place twist ties on our luggage in hopes of slowing down the zippers from "accidently" coming undone, while still allowing access. We have had those notices inside our bags that the contents had been searched numerous times with no problems. In May we travelled from IAH (curbside check-in) to SAV. When we arrived at HH my DH noticed the twist tie was missing from his suitcase. He did not have an inspection notice inside. When he opened it, he knew the contents had been disturbed (he is very tidy). Sure enough, a $100 bill was missing. The Disney Dollars that were in the same spot were still there LOL. My DH called the airline that night and filed a report when we arrrived at IAH two weeks later. Sadly, we did not expect anything to be done about it, but we did want the airline to know it had happened. About 6 weeks later we got a form letter saying they were not responsible and hoped we would fly with them again. We will - for the most part they have given us good service. However, they did/do? have a security problem. Although I agree with others on this board that it is not a good idea to put cash in our checked luggage we will continue to do so with relatively small amounts of money. We view it as extra insurance, in case of unusual circumstances, to have cash stashed in different spots. It is distressing to think about crimes being committed in what should be secure areas.

Originally posted by JimC
WDW located in a separate governmental entity called RCID (Reedy Creek Improvement District).

Originally posted by JimC
RCID provides all of the typical governmental services (fire, police, water, sewer, road maintenance, zoning, etc).
It's true that Disney controls what is essentially a private government. The RCID provides typical government services, including building & safety, road construction & maintenance, utilities, and fire protection.

But the RCID is not in the law enforcemnt business. There is no Reedy Creek Police Department. For the portion of the RCID that's in Orange County, the law enforcement agency is the Orange County Sheriff's Office. For the southern part of the RCID, it's the Osceola County Shriff's Office.

Disney Security is part of Disney, not part of the RCID.

Thare are luggage locks that can be purchased that can be used for air travel. I bought mine from Magellan's catalogue. You set and lock it with acombination, but on the bottom is a key hole that security in the airport has a key to open if they want to. Again, they are not theft proof, but more of a deterrent. Sorry about your bad trip.

As many of you are aware, airport security will no longer allow you to lock your checked luggage

not entirely true. You can lock your checked bags as long as you stay in the area where it is going thru the scanner. They ask that you be available to open your luggage with your key if it does not pass inspection going thru the scanner. We stand and watch ours go thru security before we head to the gate. At least this is what we experienced last Fall and again this Spring.

I am in no way bashing the OP or anyone else. However I would like to emphasize that in almost all cases, the hotel will not be liable in this situation. Even if you could prove it happened, who did it and it was an employee, Disney would not be liable technically. Of course you could always bring suit and see what happened if anyone had a case strong enough to try it.

It's amazing how many people believe something just cause its posted here. Sounds like a classic troll to me; but what do I know!:smooth:

Originally posted by stc1223
I often feel a little uncomfortable leaving my bags but only once has the room been ready upon arrival, we always take a very early flight and take airport transports to the hotel.We always stay at the Boardwalk and the baggage staff seem to be competant. I don't leave cash or credit cards but I probably leave other items that would cause me great distress if they were gone.

It's a lesson you'll never forget and I pray that someone will be saved the same grief because they've heeded your warning. Thank you for sharing.

Susan

I agree. Totally sorry for your loss. Our luggage has underwear in it. Nothing of value. If they want it they cn have it. :jester:

I am so sorry for your loss, Wisbucky and I am also sorry that so many people have seemed to jump to conclusions about it being your fault:(

Two big things going wrong are just TOO much on a Disney Vacation:sad2:

I surely hope it is resolved somehow to your benefit::yes::

That said, I am really amazed that you were able to write such a wonderful trip report on the front end of your post! How impressive of you::yes:: ::yes::

Thanks for telling us,
Lisa:sunny:

We use travelers checks but always end up with quite a bit of cash anyway. We use a 20 or 50 dollar travellers checks for a purchase of 10 to 20 dollars. We try and keep our cash to a minimun but it sneaks up on us and by vacation end we seem to a $100.00 or so. It just happens and maybe this is the case here. We try and keep some for food at the airports, tips and parking and that ends up about $100.00 as well, it happens..smjj

Regarding the liability issue (putting my attorney hat on here), regardless of what is said by a company like Disney that they are not liable for anything that goes on on their premises, the reality is that IF you can prove that Disney has been negligent in some way, you absolutely can bring a civil action against Disney. But an important part of negligence is to prove that Disney had a duty to protect your valuables that you left unsecured. Your actions, unfortuntely, would probably be viewed as "contributory negligence" - in other words, you have a duty to look out for your own valuables and belongings and you breached that duty by not securing them / leaving the money out of your sight. If Disney knew or should have known that the employee who stole your money was a thief or that there was prior criminal activity of the same type that was not dealt with by Disney, arguably that would be grounds for a negligence action. We don't know all of the details of your situation, so I cannot say whether I think Disney was negligent here.

Sorry to hear about your situation, though. I have had my purse and/or wallet stolen MANY times. It just stinks. We use credit cards for everything at Disney except for "petty cash" items like buying water. More peace of mind.

To clarify a few matters here. The cash was in the luggage room but not in the luggage.

:idea: I suggest that the crime was committed in the Luggage Room by Mr. Green with the Cooler!!!

:magnify: I suggest that it was committed in the Luggage Room by Professor Plum with the Package!!???

:confused3 In the Luggage Room by Miss Scarlet with the Safe?!?!?? :faint:

Sorry to read of your troubles on this trip. :( Thanks for posting.

Maybe I missed it in one of the previous posts but apprx how much money are we talking about?

I'm trying to figure out the part about the money not being in the luggage but in the luggage room. Was it left on a counter???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter