Baby on the High Seas - A Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Trip Report *new 4/15*

Hi everyone, sorry it has been a while since I last updated!

I should have our first MK day update in the next few days, but until then, Rory wanted to share his news:

6b6723c4-a5b4-4518-b70f-83048907474e.jpg

Hi everyone, sorry it has been a while since I last updated!

I should have our first MK day update in the next few days, but until then, Rory wanted to share his news:

6b6723c4-a5b4-4518-b70f-83048907474e.jpg

Congrats! Rory looks thrilled to becoming a big brother. :rotfl2:

Jill in CO

Congratulations! I wonder if Rory thinks you're expecting a Mickey/Minnie Mouse? :rotfl: Hope everything goes well and you are feeling good! :goodvibes

Congratulations Sarah!! I guess Rory is just impatient for his new sibling to arrive and that's why looks a little less happy than in the cruise pictures! ;)

Congrats! Rory looks thrilled to becoming a big brother. :rotfl2:

Jill in CO

Thank you! I know, hopefully he'll come around!:)

Congratulations! Great news - I am sure Rory will come to understand that ;)

Thank you! Yes, we're sure he will once he or she is here!

That is awesome. CONGRATS!!!!

Thank you, Kathy!

Congratulations! I wonder if Rory thinks you're expecting a Mickey/Minnie Mouse? :rotfl: Hope everything goes well and you are feeling good! :goodvibes

Thank you! I think he'd actually prefer that! I'm hoping I'll be feeling well soon; it's been a bit rough the past few months.

Congratulations Sarah!! I guess Rory is just impatient for his new sibling to arrive and that's why looks a little less happy than in the cruise pictures! ;)

Thank you! Yes, that must be it!:thumbsup2

Ha g that picture is hilarious! Congrats on the baby!

Thank you!

Day 8, Part 1: Saying goodbye to the Fantasy and hello Magic Kingdom!

I have to apologize for the lack of photos in this update – I think it was a combination of being so sad to disembark that we didn’t document it, and then so excited to be at the MK that we didn’t really stop for pictures. Next updates will be better, I promise!

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:50am. I had set my alarm so I’d be sure to be up in time to get us all ready and down to the early 6:45am breakfast. We had already packed up our luggage the night before, so getting ready and packing up our carry-ons was pretty quick.

When I got up, Rory was still sleeping, and I could tell by the way he was breathing that he was really congested. I felt terrible since I knew we had a big day ahead of us. We woke him up, and although he seemed like he had a cold, fortunately otherwise he seemed like his normal self.

We brought our carry-ons down to breakfast with us, as we’d be leaving the ship right after that. I mentioned in my last comments post that I think next time we’ll go to Cabanas, and here is why: We always go to the early breakfast because it’s our last interaction with our servers, but honestly they are usually a bit stressed and rushed since they are trying to get ready for their long day ahead where they have to get the ship ready for the next group of guests. I also don’t really care for the menu on the last day, and it would be nice to not have to rush to get there by 6:45.

We quickly ate our breakfast and said goodbye to our servers. We then said goodbye to the in-laws and headed off the ship. We were able to find our bags very quickly in the terminal and made our way over to the DCL bus that would take us to the Grand Floridian! We got right on a bus, and at 8:10 we were on our way! We ended up stopping first at Art of Animation, All Star Music, Contemporary, and then FINALLY Grand Floridian.

grandfloridian.jpg

We arrived around 9:45, and someone met us outside to check us in. I started to get nervous because I could tell he couldn’t find our reservation, although he wasn’t letting on that that was the case. He led us inside and brought us to the check-in desk, and someone else took over from there. Fortunately he found our reservation and got us checked in! Our room wasn’t ready, so we brought our bags over to bell services while we headed over to the MK. I was a little upset when the same guy who couldn’t find our reservation brought another family up to Bell Services to check their bags and cut right in front of me! It only took a few minutes, but still, I thought it was pretty rude.

Anyway, soon enough we were on the monorail and headed to the MK! We were there by 10:15, so I thought that was pretty good! As soon as we got there, I realized that I needed to put sunscreen on Rory. He looks thrilled!

aefb477b-1ca2-4997-864b-35dcf63dcc92.jpg

We headed over to Pirates and there was no wait, so we hopped on that. We then headed over to Big Thunder Mountain, and on the way realized we were hungry. This always happens after a cruise, we find we are always hungry after eating all the time on the ship! We stopped for Sweet Potato Nuggets at the Golden Oak Outpost. I stayed with Rory while Michael went up to get them. He came back empty-handed and told me they were out of the powdered sugar so he didn’t get them?! I told him we didn’t need sugar on them and asked him to go get them anyway! I LOVE sweet potato nuggets, and these didn’t disappoint!

We made it to BTMRR and went up for a Rider Swap pass. I let Michael ride first (mainly so I could finish the sweet potato nuggets – ha!), and after a short wait, it was my turn to ride. I can’t wait until Rory is tall enough to ride it with us! From there I think we did the Haunted Mansion, and then it was time for lunch. We decided Columbia Harbour House would be perfect, especially since we were right there!

ab9bfada-3d72-4757-81e2-c0b643a8dd96.jpg

After lunch, it was time for our FP+ for Seven Dwarves Mine Train. Michael and I both had a FP for it, but we were able to use Rider Swap with just my FP+. I rode first, and honestly I didn’t love it. I think that I had built it up in my head too much, but I just wasn’t that impressed. I do think that once Rory is tall enough to ride it, it will be one of our family favorites, though. For now, I think BTMRR is a more thrilling (and longer) ride. Rather than using Michael’s FP for it, too, we moved on to the rest of New Fantasyland. We rode Dumbo and the Little Mermaid.

7b54943d-3f73-41f3-8293-b1874395a17c.jpg

At this point, Rory needed to take a nap. He wouldn’t go down in the stroller, so we tried the Carousel of Progress. I hadn’t been on this in years, and Michael had never been. Rory got sleepy during it, but still no nap. In fact, he just wanted to run around outside the CoP.

73414ef7-b91f-4dee-b791-406b13261b5b.jpg

We let him kill a little time before our Buzz Lightyear FP+, and then we took a spin on that. Rory got to work the control that spins the car around, so I was pretty dizzy by the end!

86f6f92f-808f-45d7-b834-ed69dbd42484.jpg

09d611ce-9223-407c-8e72-80c9e64554ff.jpg

We realized that Rory’s only hope of a nap was to head back to the room (which was now ready), so we took the monorail back to the Grand Floridian.

Up next: The Grand Floridian and MK at night!

Great timing from getting off the ship and getting to the resort.

That was very rude of the CM!

You got quite a few rides done. I'm sorry you didn't care for the Mine Ride. I knew it was going to be nothing like BTMR considering it was in Fantasyland and aimed more at the kids. I quite enjoy it (although I would NOT wait in line an hour for it).

We love Columbia Harbor House.

Too bad going to COP did not put Rory to sleep. It works on me like a charm. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Is there any specific time frame for going up to Cabanas on the last morning? I've read in other TRs that the servers seem very rushed the last morning, so I think we'll go with some alternative, most likely.

That's weird that the CM brought others up to cut in front of you. :confused3

Yay for no wait on Pirates! pirate:

Mmmm, I had noticed those sweet potato nuggets on the menu at Golden Oak and wondered how they were. Yummy.

I love Big Thunder too and also can't wait until Izzy's old enough to ride with us.

Sorry you didn't love Mine Train. Did you switch the other FP+ to something else? I enjoyed the ride, but I also had pretty low expectations, as I knew others had been disappointed with it.

Glad you were able to get back to the resort for a nap! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to see the Grand Floridian!

Nice timing for the morning and getting to GF & MK!! That's awesome. You were able to get a lot done at the MK before heading out.

We are thinking of grabbing some food the day before and planning to eat breakfast in the room so we can be at the exit by 7:30AM to disembark as soon as they open it up. That's my current plan anyway. :goodvibes

Loved LOVED VGF so I'm sure you had an amazing room too!

Great timing from getting off the ship and getting to the resort.

I know, I was surprised and so happy about it. If we weren't the last stop, it would have been a really quick trip!

That was very rude of the CM!

I know, right!?! Very un-Grand, I thought. He must have been new.

You got quite a few rides done. I'm sorry you didn't care for the Mine Ride. I knew it was going to be nothing like BTMR considering it was in Fantasyland and aimed more at the kids. I quite enjoy it (although I would NOT wait in line an hour for it).

It's funny, because at the time I felt like we didn't get that much done, but looking back, we did. I felt like it was busy for September, but we've been lucky with REALLY low crowds in the past.

We love Columbia Harbor House.

So many great choices there!

Too bad going to COP did not put Rory to sleep. It works on me like a charm. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Haha. I hadn't been on it for so many years, so I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised he didn't fall asleep!

Is there any specific time frame for going up to Cabanas on the last morning? I've read in other TRs that the servers seem very rushed the last morning, so I think we'll go with some alternative, most likely.

I would definitely recommend Cabanas, even though we haven't gone that route yet. I'm not sure what time they open on the last day, because there isn't a navigator for that day. My guess is 7, but I'm not sure on that.

That's weird that the CM brought others up to cut in front of you. :confused3

I know! He was young and must have been new. When he was trying to check us in outside, he also said that he found my club level reservation. I was like, ummm, no, but we'll take it...:rotfl2:

Yay for no wait on Pirates! pirate:

Rides are the best when they are walk-ons!:cool1:

Mmmm, I had noticed those sweet potato nuggets on the menu at Golden Oak and wondered how they were. Yummy.

They were really good, and I bet with the powdered sugar they would be even better!

I love Big Thunder too and also can't wait until Izzy's old enough to ride with us.

So much to look forward to!

Sorry you didn't love Mine Train. Did you switch the other FP+ to something else? I enjoyed the ride, but I also had pretty low expectations, as I knew others had been disappointed with it.

I think we did switch his FP+ to something else but never had a chance to use it. I was okay with that, though. I felt like we got a decent amount done that day/evening.

Glad you were able to get back to the resort for a nap! :thumbsup2 Can't wait to see the Grand Floridian!

Yes, naptime was needed for all of us. It was nice being so close. I have a LOT of pictures of the VGF studio, coming up soon. It was awesome!

Nice timing for the morning and getting to GF & MK!! That's awesome. You were able to get a lot done at the MK before heading out.

Yes, we were so happy with how quickly we made it there. I wasn't sure with the DCL bus and had fairly low expectations, so we were pleasantly surprised!

We are thinking of grabbing some food the day before and planning to eat breakfast in the room so we can be at the exit by 7:30AM to disembark as soon as they open it up. That's my current plan anyway. :goodvibes

That is a good idea if you want to be out early. Although I have to say, breakfast in the MDR was so rushed that if you were there right at 6:45, you could probably still be out at 7:30.

Loved LOVED VGF so I'm sure you had an amazing room too!

We did! We felt the same way - absolutely LOVED it. I took lots of pictures while we were there!

You made great timing! To be at MK so early after waking up on a cruise ship is pretty darn good. I understand what you are saying about the breakfast - on the last day to feel stressed or rushed with breakfast (and notice the servers feeling the same way) is not the best - though also get wanting to say good bye to your servers

I can totally understand being disappointed with the Mine Train if you were thinking/comparing to BTMR ... whereas people who had more of a family coaster in mind (like a fancy version of the Barnstormer) I think were happier with it. I thought it was a very well themed ride and love zipping around right in the middle of Fantasyland - but think it is a bit too short and needs a bit more to be a truly great ride

Sorry Rory wouldn't go to sleep in the stroller - but getting to go back to your room at the GF isn't a bad consolation :thumbsup2

Just an FYI on cabanas as I sit in my cabin ready to get off the Magic- it opens at 6:30 and is general seating until 8:15 I was told by someone. I am GF and requested my breakfast for 8 am... (We are trying to stall to avoid more time at the airport. Flight is late enough to be annoying but not late enough to do anything with it :))

You made great timing! To be at MK so early after waking up on a cruise ship is pretty darn good. I understand what you are saying about the breakfast - on the last day to feel stressed or rushed with breakfast (and notice the servers feeling the same way) is not the best - though also get wanting to say good bye to your servers

Yes, the fact that we'd be at the MK soon made getting off the ship a bit easier. Next time we will just say our goodbyes at the last dinner - I think it will be better that way.

I can totally understand being disappointed with the Mine Train if you were thinking/comparing to BTMR ... whereas people who had more of a family coaster in mind (like a fancy version of the Barnstormer) I think were happier with it. I thought it was a very well themed ride and love zipping around right in the middle of Fantasyland - but think it is a bit too short and needs a bit more to be a truly great ride

I think you are onto something here! I have never been on the Barnstormer, so I think my idea of a family coaster was BTMRR. If it were a little longer, that would definitely help.

Sorry Rory wouldn't go to sleep in the stroller - but getting to go back to your room at the GF isn't a bad consolation :thumbsup2

It actually worked out perfectly to go back to the room for the nap(s)! Although when we go to WDW in April, I'm bringing the stroller that reclines better, and hoping that he'll take stroller naps.

Just an FYI on cabanas as I sit in my cabin ready to get off the Magic- it opens at 6:30 and is general seating until 8:15 I was told by someone. I am GF and requested my breakfast for 8 am... (We are trying to stall to avoid more time at the airport. Flight is late enough to be annoying but not late enough to do anything with it :))

Oh great, thank you for this information - very helpful! I hope that you had a great cruise!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter