Average Vacations In A Year and Average Cost?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
I know we are probably WAY over the average, BUT it is just what we "do". They are all pretty affordable, though, so while it is A Lot, we don't spend a lot on other things like movies, dinner out, concerts, shows, etc. throughout the year.

This year will be about 6 six weeeks and the total is about $7,000 for all which is about $2,000 higher than usual.

This year is Hilton Head (week in Feb.), Cape Cod (week in April, two weeks in July), DC in June, Bermuda cruise for DH and I in October.

An average year is 4 weeks with two of those at the beach with a usual price of $5000.

I actually don't think the price is that bad considering how much we go away. Also know we could easily spend that on one week somewhere, but would rather spend it this way.

Curious to hear what is average on the Dis?

We have one yearly vacation in August that is set in stone and in cost (about $3,000). But other vacations vary in length, destination and cost. In 2010 we spent a week in WDW ($5,000). In 2012 DH and I went to Mexico for a week and the kids spent that week in Philadelphia ($3,000). We do a lot of short weekend trips, and spent last winter traveling every weekend for hockey. This April we did a road trip to PA and NC, and spent around $1,000.

I only have 3 weeks of vacation / personal time, so there is no way I could vacation away from home for six weeks a year.

Average for us is 1 1-week vacation with a price tag of $1,500-2,000.

The $3,100 we spent on Disney last year was by far our most expensive. DW would like to keep this year's trip around $1,000-1,500. I'm shooting for something in the $1,800-2,500 range. Have several options, just need to decide.

Well my DH only gets 3 weeks vacation time but he can extend some of those weeks by taking a couple "banked" days on either side of the week off.

We usually take one big family trip in the spring (this year our trip is 12 days to Myrtle beach/Charleston). That trip usually cost somewhere in the $3000-$5000 range. Then we spend a week or so at his parents cottage in the summer (free). Once ever couple years we will take a cheaper adult only trip, sometimes a weekend or a whole week (usually $500-$1500). We love to vacation but the frugal side of us can't do it any more then we do.

Our "schedule" just changed last year, and this year is atypical as our vacation in June is a super duper cheap one (free air, free lodging).

But, our new schedule is a 10 - 12 day trip to WDW in August of each year, and then going forward, we will be doing somewhere over the kids spring break. Looking at San Antonio next year. Our goal is to have WDW remain the constant end of summer celebration and spring break bring new destinations each year - great way to break up the never ending MN winter!

We also do a few closer vacations each year - local attractions/hotel, a quick weekend in Chicago, etc.

We budget about $10K a year for vacations. From Minnesota, airfare is a huge chunk of that budget. Which is why we will be seeing where the cheapest flights are before we solidify our spring break getaway!

I have 6 weeks vacation each year, plus any I carry over from previous year. DH gets 3 or 4 weeks, I can't remember. So, we are blessed that way - we have the option to be gone exploring a lot :)

Our average is/will be two 10-day vacations, one in the spring and one in the fall, both about $2500. This year it is Mexico in March and Univeral Orlando/New Orleans in October. Last year it was Mexico in March and WDW in September. I'm really hoping to get a cruise in there soon:)

Vacationing is a priority for me. I purposely go without things my friends buy all year (lots of clothes, shoes, go to movies, household items like new sheets/towels/pans) so that I can afford to get away. I also spend mega time making sure we get the best bang for our buck when we vacation! I can't afford both and to me its a no-brainer.

I know we are probably WAY over the average, BUT it is just what we "do". They are all pretty affordable, though, so while it is A Lot, we don't spend a lot on other things like movies, dinner out, concerts, shows, etc. throughout the year.

This year will be about 6 six weeeks and the total is about $7,000 for all which is about $2,000 higher than usual.

This year is Hilton Head (week in Feb.), Cape Cod (week in April, two weeks in July), DC in June, Bermuda cruise for DH and I in October.

An average year is 4 weeks with two of those at the beach with a usual price of $5000.

I actually don't think the price is that bad considering how much we go away. Also know we could easily spend that on one week somewhere, but would rather spend it this way.

Curious to hear what is average on the Dis?

First, we don't eat out or go to concerts or anything like that, either. I'm currently unemployed, so that makes a big difference, but in typical years our vacations ranged from 0 to three, but I'm including long weekend getaways as vacations.

Last year, we did a 3 day weekend trip to a state park. We had a lot of fun. This past summer we also did a 3 day weekend trip to Gatlinburg, Tenn. Spent around $600, I'd guess, maybe a little less.

I don't think we'll be doing anything this year. I wanted to drive to Michigan and camp, but even that is too big of an expense.

We just don't have the funds to vacation much. We do little weekend camping trips and hotel stays here and there most years and then once every...oh...3 to 4 years we do a bigger trip (Disney or the beach, etc).

I wish it wasn't this way and sometimes I get envious when I see all the trips people are taking on here, but that's the way it goes.

I REALLY want to go to either Scotland or Nova Scotia one of these years, sooner rather than later.

I typically go to Disney every other year. That runs me close to $5,000 for a week.

In between, we just don't do anything. While my DH and I both have great jobs, I also have one child in college and one on the way in. I don't believe in student loans and things like that when I can skip a vacation and actually pay for college, so that's why we don't spend a lot on vacation. I'm sure I'll be on my deathbed regretting it, but I just can't reconciling putting out at least $5K a year and then saying I can't afford other things because that's how it would be for me.

We used to do spring break every year for a week at the beach, but we would split that with DD's friends, but now that she is out of high school, we just do a few days at the beach. DS doesn't like the beach as much as DD does. So this past spring break, we spent about $500 for 2nights/3days. (we live near the beach, so we drove)

Usually we go somewhere for a week in June, past trips have been around $3000. We have been going to Orlando the past 6 years and we drive, so no airfare. This year, it will be just myself, DH and DS, going to SW and BG, including everything, I am estimating around $1500.

Sometimes we will take little short trips (2nights) they average around $800. (we did one last Nov. We may do one this Oct. On these, I usually take my parents, so we can spend time together. These are places close by (under a 5hr drive)

So, this year is around $3000. I would definitely spend more, if we had it. I want to go to Alaska, I know that trip isn't going to be cheap.

If I post the numbers I will make myself throw up, but ...

• 7-10 days in Europe
  • 1 week Lake Tahoe or Disney (flying from East coast)
  • 3 weeks Jersey Shore - house is family owned but we spend a lot on activities -- parasailing, chartered fishing boat, eating out daily, etc. My husband doesn't vacation this whole time; he'll take off one or two weeks and commute the rest.
  • A few weekends a year - Hershey Park, GWL, something for our anniversary (typically a relais-chateau or boutique hotel), Okemo, etc.

But it is all money well spent to us. My husband works hard and deserves to enjoy his time off.

If I post the numbers I will make myself throw up, but ...

• 7-10 days in Europe
  • 1 week Lake Tahoe or Disney (flying from East coast)
  • 3 weeks Jersey Shore - house is family owned but we spend a lot on activities -- parasailing, chartered fishing boat, eating out daily, etc. My husband doesn't vacation this whole time; he'll take off one or two weeks and commute the rest.
  • A few weekends a year - Hershey Park, GWL, something for our anniversary (typically a relais-chateau or boutique hotel), Okemo, etc.

But it is all money well spent to us. My husband works hard and deserves to enjoy his time off.

Wow, see here's where I get envious. That sounds like heaven to me.

Not that you asked me, but I don't like the "I work hard and deserve it" argument (for lack of a better word). I'm sure we all work hard and deserve to enjoy our time off - so be thankful you're able to do it. And, I'm sure you are.

Wow, see here's where I get envious. That sounds like heaven to me.

Not that you asked me, but I don't like the "I work hard and deserve it" argument (for lack of a better word). I'm sure we all work hard and deserve to enjoy our time off - so be thankful you're able to do it. And, I'm sure you are.

Haha, true. Even my husband says, " 'deserve' has got nothing to do with it." We are grateful and it does make the hard work worthwhile -- at least for a short time.

We haven't taken a vacation for the last two years due to finances but things are looking soooo much better now. This year we are planning three vacation--

3 days at San Destin for dd's birthday--$1500.00

5-8 days WDW at Thanksgiving (we want to go for 8 but may pull it back to five but will definitely be doing on or the other)--$2000-4000

5 days in Washington D.C. next Spring (so I guess technically that is NEXT year) with dd's choir. Normally I do not count those trips as "vacation" but the kids are much older now, this director is much more in charge and most of the parents are going so every parent will have time every day that they will not be considered a chaperon.--$2500

For family vacations with the children we usually take 15 days in the summer, 11 days for spring break (Thursday to the following Sunday) in March, 14 days after Christmas (usually the day after Christmas until January 8th or so) and 11 days over Thanksgiving (Thursday to the following Sunday). My wife and I usually then take a week in the early fall to go someplace as adults.

My DW and I are very blessed with jobs that offer a tremendous amount of vacation, as we love to travel, and we have the resources to support that passion. As the kids get older, the days out of school may have to be reduced, but the schools have been supportive thus far.

We usually do two trips to Florida for Disney (spring break and Thanksgiving), a trip to a major metropolitan area (New York, San Francisco, New England, etc. during the summer) and a trip to the mountains for skiing (Christmas trip, generally, usually to Steamboat or Aspen).

I'm not a big fan of "weekend trips". Living in Iowa, too much time is tied up in getting to and from the destination, so we'd rather do longer trips (and I'll never count a weekend trip to Omaha or Kansas City as a vacation! :rotfl2:)

500 Dollars a day for two people in dc??? That is crazy! Hoping I totally misread!

Vacations come and go here depending on what is going on in our lives. This year, two trips for me , one family and one girl trip with my mom and sisters. My husband and kids are doing a fishing trip but I decided to stay home and enjoy time alone. :) then a trip to Charlotte to see my sister, and another 4 day trip to Lake Erie. And two trips to see my dad in Arizona because he is ill.

Last year I didn't get a vacation at all due to life's circumstances.

when our kids were younger we could usually take at least 1 trip a year, tho that was to visit my folks in FL so we would combine WDW in there as well. Along comes college and all trips turned into taking/getting DD from school (in FL, but alas no WDW added to the travels) we have gone to Colorado several times and love it there, and those trips total under $2000 for a week, for a family of 4. We drive from IL. Vacation has been pretty much removed from our budget except when travel has become necessary (like an upcoming burial/spreading of ashes) Just can't afford it.
We did do WDW 2x's not including family visits and those trips were awesome, took 11 days and loved every minute. I would say those trips hit the $5500 mark for 4 people on-site, split value/deluxe stay and one dog being kenneled @ home.
Vacations are awesome :beach:

For family vacations with the children we usually take 15 days in the summer, 11 days for spring break (Thursday to the following Sunday) in March, 14 days after Christmas (usually the day after Christmas until January 8th or so) and 11 days over Thanksgiving (Thursday to the following Sunday). My wife and I usually then take a week in the early fall to go someplace as adults.

My DW and I are very blessed with jobs that offer a tremendous amount of vacation, as we love to travel, and we have the resources to support that passion. As the kids get older, the days out of school may have to be reduced, but the schools have been supportive thus far.

We usually do two trips to Florida for Disney (spring break and Thanksgiving), a trip to a major metropolitan area (New York, San Francisco, New England, etc. during the summer) and a trip to the mountains for skiing (Christmas trip, generally, usually to Steamboat or Aspen).

I'm not a big fan of "weekend trips". Living in Iowa, too much time is tied up in getting to and from the destination, so we'd rather do longer trips (and I'll never count a weekend trip to Omaha or Kansas City as a vacation! :rotfl2:)

Okay, I think I have to stop reading this thread now. I'm happy for you, I really am. :sad:

That's incredibly wonderful how many vacation days you get (and are able to finance!). Sounds more like a European's vacation schedule. :)

We don't have a whole lot scheduled yet this year. We have a wedding in July up in CT that will require us to stay for a few days. Not really a vacation but it will be fun. In Aug. we go to the Catskills with my whole family for a week. And we are trying to figure out what to do for a week in June. I'm the only one pulling for Disney so that's not gonna happen. I think we're leaning towards either gulf side of FL or Myrtle Beach.

We are very lucky to live in Germany and DH has the standard German vacation time, 30 days. Combining that with state holidays we get about 8 full weeks to travel. W ealso take 2-3 weekend getaways in a typical year.

We have one car that is a company car (and DH is the primary user of that) and EVERYTHING (even gas on vacation) is covered (another MAJOR perk of the German system). We can often drive to our vacation destinations, including cruises, which means we only pay for tolls for our transportation. We also chose not to have a second car, the kids and I go almost everywhere by bike, foot or public transit. We spend 37 Euro a month on DS's transit card and about another 30 for individual tickets for DD and I. So, we can take the money that most people would spend on gas, car, insurance, maintenance, etc and put that into travel :goodvibes:goodvibes

Most years lately it looks like:

3-4 weeks on cruise ships in the Med. One of those is just DH and I (2013 will be 33 nights, 7 with just the adults). One of these will include 2 nights in Barcelona first.

2-4 weeks of rental houses. This year it will likely just be one two week rental in Spain for Christmas, because of our trip to the US.

This year we are also spending 2 weeks visiting family in the US (the kids and i will actually be there 5 weeks, but DH will join us at the end only).

We spent Easter weekend in Belgium/Holland and will likely get a long weekend in Southern Germany in the fall.

In a typical year we spend about 10K Euro on travel :eek:

Yes, we are well aware of how extremely lucky and spoiled we are.

We love to travel! We homeschool and DH has his own company, so we are able to take lots of travel time.

How much we travel varies from year to year. Last year we took 5 trips in the summer alone (Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., Lexington, KY, Las Vegas, and an Alaskan cruise with side trips to Vancouver and Seattle).

This year, we went to WDW in February for a week and took a 7-night Disney cruise in April. We are going to NYC in early June and to Hilton Head for a week in late June. Then, we are going to England for 10 day in September.

We love to travel and feel very fortunate that we are in the position to do it so frequently!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter