C'mon folks... open your minds to all the amazing possibilities, A movie does not dictate the success of a land, the rides and experiences will... and even in some cases, a successful ride has dictated a movie. Besides if they use tech like this, I think Avatar land could be way cool...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/9/3230656/disney-botanicus-interacticus-interactive-plants

I am intrigued by the tech

I have to say I am not totally against Avatarland, and yes, it could be fun. But I like it when imagineers are given free reign to design their own concepts. Expediition Everest is a perfect example of that. As is the designs they had for Beastly Kingdomme. Both are more interesting to me

But thats not to say, I wouldnt enjoy avatar based rides

I am a die hard coaster fan.... but I can imagine walking through a jungle of those interactive plants... where touching them causes them to respond by color changes or music... the possibilities are mind boggling and the results could be pretty ethereal and completely unlike any other ride experience out there...

Suger Mag said:
I am a die hard coaster fan.... but I can imagine walking through a jungle of those interactive plants... where touching them causes them to respond by color changes or music... the possibilities are mind bo

ggling and the results could be pretty ethereal and completely unlike any other ride experience out there...

I am understand what you're saying

I'm on a podcast in a couple weeks. They asked me about avatar and I said I understand what they're doing but I think I would go with Australia but avatar could be interesting

I have 4 kids, 2 boys, 2 girls, ages, 11, 14, 16 & 19 Plus us parents, aunts and uncles, grandparents, cousins AND None of us likes the idea of an Avatar Land.....In My Opinion, and my family's, the movie wasn't even really good, or did not appeal to any of us anyways....And what does blue people have to do with AK ?
I do not believe it appeals or excites alot of people, there are the fans that loved it, but, alot that didn't care for it.....
We will see what happens

I'm not so sure pandas would provide a lasting big draw for AK. I live about an hour from Memphis, and have visited the zoo there on numerous occasions, both before and after the panda exhibit opened. When the pandas were new, there is little doubt that they were a HUGE draw. I'm talking about wait times of more than an hour just to get into the exhibit, and large lines at the main entrance. There's no doubt in my mind that overall zoo attendance increased significantly immediately after the pandas arrived. But the last time I was there, it was just another exhibit. No huge crowds, no long lines. The panda exhibit was no more crowded than the "Primate Canyon" or "Northwest Passage" areas.

The market for a regional zoo like Memphis and the market for a theme park like AK are vastly different, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. But I'd say that based on what I've observed, a panda exhibit is not likely to have a lasting effect on attendance for AK, though I supposed it could help with merchandise sales, which is nothing to sneeze that. Other than that, it would make the park more "zoo-like" and less "theme park-like," and I don't know if that's the direction Disney wants to go.

I'm not so sure pandas would provide a lasting big draw for AK. I live about an hour from Memphis, and have visited the zoo there on numerous occasions, both before and after the panda exhibit opened. When the pandas were new, there is little doubt that they were a HUGE draw. I'm talking about wait times of more than an hour just to get into the exhibit, and large lines at the main entrance. There's no doubt in my mind that overall zoo attendance increased significantly immediately after the pandas arrived. But the last time I was there, it was just another exhibit. No huge crowds, no long lines. The panda exhibit was no more crowded than the "Primate Canyon" or "Northwest Passage" areas.

The market for a regional zoo like Memphis and the market for a theme park like AK are vastly different, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. But I'd say that based on what I've observed, a panda exhibit is not likely to have a lasting effect on attendance for AK, though I supposed it could help with merchandise sales, which is nothing to sneeze that. Other than that, it would make the park more "zoo-like" and less "theme park-like," and I don't know if that's the direction Disney wants to go.

Here is what I think is the difference. The Memphis zoo does not draw tourists. It caters to the local population, and they came out in droves to see the panda at first. Now they have kind of settled in. I will guarantee you that panda plushes are thier #1 seller, probably by a wide margin

DAK caters to tourists from far away, most of whom will never see a real panda and this will be thier one shot to see one. I think what they will do to the park is this;

1. all of those people who leave at 1/2 pm will now stay another hour or so maybe adding a meal or additional shopping. maybe even stay for the 345 parade

2. those people who decide to skip DAK for either sea world or Universal or whatever reason, will be less likely to do so

3. If its put over by Rafiki's, it will create more foot traffic to that generally unpolpulated section of the park

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter