• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Autotrain- any tips?

Windjammer

Mouseketeer
I have reserved the autotrain for my family of 6 and our van for a trip this July to WDW but have never taken it before. Any tips would be appreciated, such as whether it is preferable to be seated on the upper or lower level, whether one dinner seating is preferable to another, the ability to store some luggage above our seats, the procedure for attending the movie, etc.

All help would be appreciated. I know so little about this train I am sure that I don't even know the right questions to ask.

Steve

Steve, I think the lower level has to be reserved when you book the trip. It would be quieter there with less traffic but doubt it makes that much difference. July may be nice and quiet on the train anyway. Don't bring onboard any more than you absolutely need but do bring along pillows and maybe those travel neck pillows. The ones they give you are very small and very flat. We usually have the early dinner (personal preference) but have never heard of the diner running out of food. You can choose between three entrees, rolls, dessert and coffee, along with complimentary wine. Get to the lounge car early for the movie as the seats go fast. Just plunk yourself down and enjoy the show. They turn out the overhead lights in the coaches around 9:00Pm so proceed carefully from then on. Be prepared for a restless night but still you're at your destination early the next day. We think the trip from Sanford is easiest using Greenway Toll 417 which goes direct into WDW. I-4 can get intense!!
Enjoy your trip.
ginnie

:Pinkbounc Anyone else like to share their tips/experience? We are also considering the autotrain for June. The price with the bogo discount makes this seem very intriguing! Kids are 10 and 12 and love train rides. Also, car rental prices for our 2 week stay seem awfully high this year! Sure could use those $$$'s on other fun Disney stuff. More details please! Should/can I bring a small duffle on board with small pillows, blanket, earplugs, snacks? Softside cooler like I use on the airlines? How long does it take to get your car once you reach the Sanford Station? How far to drive to Disney? Will we get ANY sleep? TIa

We have enjoyed the Autotrain the past two August Disney trips and are going again this August.

We do bring our own pillows. We also bring old sheets which we drape from the luggage rack to the floor when we are ready to sleep. This gives us a little privacy and blocks out any light.

Going in the off season, the trains are rarely full. We have been able, once on board, to each get two seats. This allows you to "stretch" out a little more.

We do bring a soft sided cooler for snacks.

We eat at the first seating, and then go directly to the lounge car, where we play cards till the movie is shown. A hint about the movie, on the lower level of the train is a smaller lounge where the movie is also shown.

We're thinking about going in March & was wondering how crowded it would be? Also does anyone know if the rates are like the airlines - that they could change at any time. Not sure if I should book now or wait a week or two?

treloarf, Amtrak raises prices as departure time draws near and trains fill up. Towards the end of March you'll have many snowbirds winging north so that portion of the trip may be harder to book. Earlier in March should be OK. When you check the prices online, don't try to use AAA adult or Senior adult as you won't be able to use the H255 code. Much better deal with the code. We ourselves are heading north the end of March and there was a difference of $35.00/2 adults. However with the cancellation fee it didn't pay to cancel and rebook. You also might check Amtrak's rail sale which is changed every Monday. The have previously offered the autotrain. The math might prove that to be a better deal.
Mr. Drake, sir, earplugs are an excellent idea and do help. Yes, to the goodies, especially with youngsters along. They probably won't care that there's usually coffee and tea available. The train does provide blankets and they're adequate so perhaps you'd rather not bother with them. Offloading of the cars is quite interesting. There is no particular order that we can tell, in other words, first on doesn't mean first off, or vice versa. Last spring it took 2 and 1/2 hours for our car to come off (very long, full train), it was off in just under an hour when we came down in late October.
Although no experts, we've done it a couple times and hope this helps.
ginnie

Since everyone has provided excellent answers to your questions, I'll add one comment - it's about a 45 minute drive from Sanford to WDW.

The boys had a blast, and of course THEY slept, but I was not very comfortable. If you're a light sleeper, don't count on much rest, because the train itself is very noisy, and some of the passengers are, too! ;)

It wasn't very crowded when we went, so we were able to take over two seats each. Next time I'd prefer to ride in the lower half - it seemed much quieter, and that's where the bathrooms are.

The dining car is on the upper level, so you will have to go upstairs for that, at least.

HTH.

Thanks everyone!!! One note I might add in checking the fare! It almost changes hourly. I was checking periodically thru out the day & kept getting different rates. Also, FYI, it's alot cheaper to go during the week. For example, $695 from Sat/.Sat & $550 Wed/Wedn.

Thanks for the website. Does anyone know how you can get the seats on the 1st floor? I really need to be close to a bathroom & was wondering if you can book that in advance or when you get to the station like the dinner times?

treloarf - I noticed when I was playing arround on Amtrak's web-site that when you select your dates for the auto train, when the screen appears showing "Your Departure and Return Options"
in the right column are icons for different accomodations. If you click on "LL" a menu will pop up asking you to select accomodations. Here you can select Lower Level reserved Coach.
Make sure you select it for both legs of your trip, and for the correct amount of travelers. If you reserve via the phone, my guess is you could request Lower Level reserved coach. Good Luck!

Can anyone shed any light on the lower level cars? I did see that you can select the lower level versus coach. Just curious if anyone has stayed in lower level as opposed to on top.

We have never slept in the lower level coach. I would think that they would be quieter in terms of foot traffic in the aisle, but more noisy in terms of track and carrage noise.

They are, however on the same level as the rest rooms if that is a concern.

When we took the auto train last August, I asked when we checked in. They said those seats are primarily for handicapped passengers but since there was none we could sit there. We were a party of 5 and had the whole downstairs compartment to ourselves. Much nicer than our trip south upstairs. The train noise did not bother me at all. We really loved the autotrain! But of course our car was the one of the last ones off both times!

We went ahead & booked for 3/15-3/22 for a whole $673.50 for the 4 of us. Of course, we had to take our car & not the van. We'll have to drive 4-1/2 hrs. (from Pgh.), but it sure beats what they wanted for airfare!!!

We are getting close to reserving the Autotrain for this summer. Anyone else have tips or recommendations on reserving lower level coach versus upper level coach - with young kids? Is the LL really noisy? Is the UL more fun?

Is coach a nightmare to try to get some sleep or is it comfortable and accommodating?

I've been upper and lower. The lower level is more quiet. The upper level you have people coming and going up and down the aisle at almost anytime of night. The lower level are right next to the bathroom which you see people coming and going. The one down side for the lower level is the view. Since you ride really close to the ground you don't get as good a view of the country you are going through. But then again you are mostly traveling at night and can't see much anyway. The earlier you can book the cheaper it is. I would avoid the late night meal. Last time we traveled we were a little late arriving to the station and at check in the earlier meal was already booked. By the time we ate they were out of a few selections. We loved the Autotran. If you go for more then a week it actually works out to be cheaper then flying and renting a car. I figured on our last trip if we went for a week it would have been cheaper to fly and rent a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter