Aunty’s doesn’t allow double booking

grayexpectations

Earning My Ears
I just tried to double book a Moana premium experience AND a standard free experience at the same time. It worked online but then I got a call from Aulani. They don’t allow it and made me pick one. So...make sure you know what you want to book (rather than double booking while your kid is camp and you’re waiting for them to get home) ;)

Sure did. Disney has created monsters, myself included. Because of their scarcity model and the way things get booked too fast, in addition to their inconsistent booking windows (ex: 60 days for ADRs v same day for Genie, and 30 days for Aulani ADRs v 14 days for Aunty’s v same day for characters/Rainbow Reef), a good trip plan often requires double booking then canceling whatever doesn’t work. It’s common practice unfortunately, which is why we keep checking to see if others have cancelled. It is what it is. Just wanted to let others know that this practice has been curtailed at Aunty’s.

Sure did. Disney has created monsters, myself included. Because of their scarcity model and the way things get booked too fast, in addition to their inconsistent booking windows (ex: 60 days for ADRs v same day for Genie, and 30 days for Aulani ADRs v 14 days for Aunty’s v same day for characters/Rainbow Reef), a good trip plan often requires double booking then canceling whatever doesn’t work. It’s common practice unfortunately, which is why we keep checking to see if others have cancelled. It is what it is. Just wanted to let others know that this practice has been curtailed at Aunty’s.
I am wondering why you had not decided what your child wanted to do long before the second that you had to book? I would have had my kid make a list of things that they would do and tell them that I would try to get one of these activities. That makes more sense to me then double booking and then cancelling. I don't agree that they created a "monster". Everything on the planet has limited availability. Maybe I am just a big planner, but I usually figure out what I want to do long before I book something. I have never double booked anything in my life.

Thank you for the PSA,,,,,thats how I take it,,,,this should be a forum for discussion,,,not beratting...There are many on here that double book rooms becuase they dont know which resort they want to stay at. Many double book car rentals depending on if they want Turo or one of the rentals here. All of these might seem like there is more space and availability, if someone is to compare limited space at |Aunties. But as each booking adds up the ones behind could have price increases since the supplier inventory is going down.
Its a PSA,,,say thank you and move on.

Thank you for the PSA,,,,,thats how I take it,,,,this should be a forum for discussion,,,not beratting...There are many on here that double book rooms becuase they dont know which resort they want to stay at. Many double book car rentals depending on if they want Turo or one of the rentals here. All of these might seem like there is more space and availability, if someone is to compare limited space at |Aunties. But as each booking adds up the ones behind could have price increases since the supplier inventory is going down.
Its a PSA,,,say thank you and move on.
Thanks much. Haters gonna hate. What can I say except you’re welcome. 😂 #maui

Also, for anyone else who needs to know, Aunty’s doesn’t post what’s available on their site until the minute you are allowed to book. Right now they are alternating between Moana, Olu Mel and Chip/Dale, but it’s an inconsistent pattern and hard to know online which days they will be doing which entertainment. So my recommendation if you don’t want to get stuck double booking until your kid gets home from school/camp, would be to call Aunty’s in advance and get a heads up from the staff what they think they will be posting for the days of your trip so you can plan it out. When they called me about my double booking they let me know that Olu Mel would be what I’m allowed to book today for 2 weeks from today. That way I don’t double book again. But thanks anyway to the haters. Lol hopefully this curtails other folks being “jerks” like me while their kids are at school/camp. I’m pretty much the worst human alive. ;)

I'm confused. What does when your kid gets home from school/camp mean? Do they mean when the kids get home from school or camp before they begin their vacation at Aulani? Aunty's Beach House is neither a school or camp so that can't be it.

I'm confused. What does when your kid gets home from school/camp mean? Do they mean when the kids get home from school or camp before they begin their vacation at Aulani? Aunty's Beach House is neither a school or camp so that can't be it.
I think she meant that when she went to reserve an activity, there were a couple of options. She did not know which activity her child wanted to do out of the ones that were available at that time and she booked 2 different ones at the same time. And when the kid got home, she was going to ask the child which of the 2 they wanted to do and then would cancel the second one. But evidently, even though the system allowed it, Aulani called and said that they don't want anyone double booking because so many others are trying to book as well. That was why I recommend going through all of the possibilities ahead of time with your child and having them pick which ones they would be interested and that way it eliminates the double booking. There are only 12 slots for each activity and they go almost instantly. With something that limited and hard to get, some believe that it is rude to hold a reservation that you know that you will not use. This is nothing like a rental car, where there are hundreds available.

And of course the simple solution is for Aulani to fully open to all paying guests like it had been since the resort's opening. One of the draws of Aulani was that particular amenity, and for Disney to turn it into a "only the lucky 12 who manage to call in advance at exactly the right time" benefit is infuriating.

And of course the simple solution is for Aulani to fully open to all paying guests like it had been since the resort's opening. One of the draws of Aulani was that particular amenity, and for Disney to turn it into a "only the lucky 12 who manage to call in advance at exactly the right time" benefit is infuriating.
I think that it I would rather take little kids on the cruise for the kids club if that is an important part of your family's vacation. I feel like that is what cruises are best at, entertaining you. In Hawaii, I want to go out, explore and soak up the amazing tropical landscape. But I am from a landlocked, farming part of the Country that is as far away from tropical as you can get. I can see just hanging out at the resort if you are fortunate enough to live where you have nice weather all the time. I would feel like my trip to Hawaii is wasted just hanging out at the hotel. I would come back with vacation remorse that I missed out if we just hung out at the hotel.

Simple isn’t something the company who created Genie+ believe in

They sell the premium experiences at $100 a pop. Obviously if they're self-limiting even the paid experiences, it's a staffing issue.

They sell the premium experiences at $100 a pop. Obviously if they're self-limiting even the paid experiences, it's a staffing issue.
Oh, I agree. But that would be easily solved if Disney wanted to. As has been pointed out previously, other Hawaiian resorts (including in Ko Olina) seem to have been able to hire staff to fully open their kids' clubs.

You can make reservations at precisely 1:01PM on the East Coast 2 weeks out (unless they are slow to upload them and they don’t pop up until 1:40 and no one is answering the phone at Aunty’s...not that this happened this week or anything). People snatch up the reservations in about 5-10 minutes. So you’ll be making the reservations 2 weeks before you travel, which typically means you’ll be at home. For me that meant my kid was at summer camp. But you don’t know which characters they will post until they post them. So you have to look at the prior two weeks to see what might get posted and guess with your kid before you send them off to school or camp.

I think that it I would rather take little kids on the cruise for the kids club if that is an important part of your family's vacation. I feel like that is what cruises are best at, entertaining you. In Hawaii, I want to go out, explore and soak up the amazing tropical landscape. But I am from a landlocked, farming part of the Country that is as far away from tropical as you can get. I can see just hanging out at the resort if you are fortunate enough to live where you have nice weather all the time. I would feel like my trip to Hawaii is wasted just hanging out at the hotel. I would come back with vacation remorse that I missed out if we just hung out at the hote
I think that it I would rather take little kids on the cruise for the kids club if that is an important part of your family's vacation. I feel like that is what cruises are best at, entertaining you. In Hawaii, I want to go out, explore and soak up the amazing tropical landscape. But I am from a landlocked, farming part of the Country that is as far away from tropical as you can get. I can see just hanging out at the resort if you are fortunate enough to live where you have nice weather all the time. I would feel like my trip to Hawaii is wasted just hanging out at the hotel. I would come back with vacation remorse that I missed out if we just hung out at the hotel.
To each their own. Mommy and daddy need a massage. I have a business meeting. We have already been to Oahu and don’t feel the need to be touristy and go back to Pearl Harbor/Dole/Waikiki on this trip. We are using Aulani to get over jet lag and get into vacation mode before we do all the touristy things on the big island. And trips with kids are trips not vacations. Whereas trips with kids CLUBS are vacations. 90 minutes to 2 hrs a day of kids club each day is perfect for us to get a little adult time. If we wanted to do all the Oahu stuff we would stay in Waikiki and not spend Aulani money just to leave the resort. Also, Olu Mel is a priority for our kid and not currently listed on any of the daily Iwas that I’ve stalked, which don’t get posted until the same day and disappear later. None of this helps you figure out which characters and activities might be available when you go, which makes folks like me go into double-book-then-cancel mode and get berated by randos on the internet.

Right, but Aulani is not like the Cruise, where you can just drop the kids off at any time. Us WANTING it to be that way doesn't make is so. I am not against people putting their kids into a kids club, but when you are trying to plan a whole trip contingent that you are able to drop your kids off, then Aulani is not the place for you. That is just the reality. If having childcare is a necessity to a person, then the parents should find a place that guarantees it or make other arrangements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter