Aulani Trip Reports PLEASE!!

Thanks for the info on Hanauma. I'll give it a try. Funny thing is, on Tripadvisor, the reviewers give it either 1 star or 5 stars!

I can understand the 1 star or 5 stars reviews.

If you just go and not really know what to expect and where to snorkel, then you might give a 1 star. You might not know that there is a small charge to get in and a charge to ride the trolley. And you might decide to walk down and then UP. You might not know that you need to "leave the shallows of the beach" to see the fish. You might not know to look at the waters from the top, notice that you can avoid the coral by going to the far left or right and see lots of fish.

If you do your homework and know what to expect, you probably will give it 5 stars. We walk down, pay to ride up, sit to the far right or far left, and swim out beyond the coral reefs. We also go early in the morning. We've stood in the water just before the coral and watched the fish swim between our legs. We would give it 5 + stars every single time.

One more thing. Both restaurants were pretty much booked solid the entire time I was there. The were not taking any walk-ups. I think this was because a lot of locals wanted to try out the restaurants - this may change as time goes on. However, if you want to have dinner at Ama Ama or do the character breakfast at Makahiki, I would definitely book ahead of time.

They're propane torches. They look sort of like charcoal briquettes on skewers.

48cf2e21.jpg

Thank you BeachBunny for your report and mkymsehi, for the report & pics... I'd really like to see the pic of Joe Rhodes if you don't mind sharing :goodvibes

Imagineer Joe Rohde

1958a40b.jpg

Vice President of Aulani DVC and Resorts Djuan Rivers

76635403.jpg

Both were absolutely great in talking to me and my girls. They engaged my daughters in the conversation, asking them about who they were, where we are from (Honolulu), and what we thought of the new resort. Each "Welcome Home'd" me when I told them I was a DVC owner.

We must have spoke to Joe Rohde for at least 15 minutes, talking about where he grew up as a boy here in Honolulu. We talked to Djuan Rivers between 5 to 10 minutes.

When I told Djuan we were coming back to stay in 2 1/2 weeks, he said to make sure we said hi to him again should we see him.

I can only guess that Joe was busy doing media all day, and Djuan was absolutely busy making sure the Grand Opening went perfectly. They made a great impression on us. My girls thought "they were really cool."

Thank you so much Jeff for taking the time and sharing your review and pictures!

I love all the bags.

Have no plans to go in the very near future - my son is considering it as part of his honeymoon next year.

Yes, they did. But the executive was Jim Lewis. I don't think he has much pull anymore at DVC.

I thought they said in the podcast it was Bob Iger who said no charge....he still has some pull...lol It technically is free, if you have your own equipment...at least that is what I have heard. So you are paying to rent the equipment, not to snorkel...am I correct?

I thought they said in the podcast it was Bob Iger who said no charge....he still has some pull...lol It technically is free, if you have your own equipment...at least that is what I have heard. So you are paying to rent the equipment, not to snorkel...am I correct?

I saw elsewhere else to rent snorkel equipment for the day was $20. So if you do the snorkel lagoon can you keep the equipment for the whole day and then also use it elsewhere?

I saw elsewhere else to rent snorkel equipment for the day was $20. So if you do the snorkel lagoon can you keep the equipment for the whole day and then also use it elsewhere?

Somewhere here I saw a link to 600 pictures of Aulani. Two were of the signs with prices for Rainbow Reef/Makai Preserve. I don't know how to link them, so here are the prices:
Rainbow Reef Experience
Adult: $20
Child: $15
Length of Stay Rainbow Reef
Adult: $39
Child: $29
Length of Stay Recreation (includes Rainbow Reef and unlimited beach rentals only) Individual: $99
Makai Preserve:
Adult: $50
Child: $45
Presumably the Rainbow Reef Experience includes snorkel rental. There is also a picture of a board with "Beach Rentals":
Snorkel Set: Hourly $10, Half Day $15, Full Day $20
Single Kayak: Hourly $20
Double Kayak: Hourly $30
Stand up Paddle Board: Hourly $30, Half Day $75
Beach Umbrella: Half Day $15, Full Day $20
Double Chase (sic) Lounge Chair: Half Day $30, Full Day $40
The aforementioned Length of Stay Recreation at $99
Hawaiian Sailing Canoe Adventure: Adults $99, $79 Kids
Hawaiin Paddling Canoe Adventure: $79 $59
Stand Up Paddle Lesson: $39
Stand Up Paddle Adventure: $59
AND EVERYTHING HAS A 4.71% TAX TO BE ADDED

Snorkel in the bay!! We stayed at the Ihilani in 2004 and I snorkelled 1st thing in the morning with several sea turtles. Swim near the opening by the rocks...that is where the turtles are. Not too many fish at that time, but the turtles made up for it.:)

I was told that the brown D&B bags sold out the first day. Hope they get more in soon.

I was told that the $20 is to swim in the fish lagoon with gear included.

By the way, if you look at Jeff's pictures above, you can see the two gifts with purchase. For $19.95 you can get the burlap bag and for $29.95 you can get an Aulani throw.

Snorkel in the bay!! We stayed at the Ihilani in 2004 and I snorkelled 1st thing in the morning with several sea turtles. Swim near the opening by the rocks...that is where the turtles are. Not too many fish at that time, but the turtles made up for it.:)

Great! Thanks. I was looking forward to Rainbow Reef as a "treat," but the idea of paying to see a man made re-creation of the natural beauty surrounding it, well, just makes very little sense to me.

Great! Thanks. I was looking forward to Rainbow Reef as a "treat," but the idea of paying to see a man made re-creation of the natural beauty surrounding it, well, just makes very little sense to me.

I believe Rainbow Reef will appeal to those who are hesitant about snorkeling in the ocean.

At Hanauma Bay you see all the normal small reef fish like tangs, etc. You also see quite large fish that will be munching on the coral, eels, puffers, etc. Also, it is swimming in the open ocean with currents, etc. and that may concern some not so strong swimmers.

Thanks for the photos Jeff. Any DIS members will be there sunday to tuesday for a meet and greet? Are they sold out of the opening day Aulani pins? Do you have a pic of the opening day pin?
So parking is free for DVC members even though we are not staying there? I was told it would be free if we were staying on points or cash. Thanks for the pics and will put up another trip report in a few days.
Also will be eating 1 character breakfast and a non character buffet breakfast to see if there is any difference.
Is the dinner a must try like the Napa Rose at VGC?

By day 2 they were pretty close to sold out on the grand opening pin. It was two per person. I don't think they'll be in stock by this weekend. Oh, and they are not on the shelves. You have to ask the cashier for them.

The character buffet breakfast and the non-character buffet breakfast, both at Makahiki, are pretty identical - except for the big price difference - for which you get only three characters and a horribly long wait for them to rotate around the dining room. If you've been to some of the nicer buffets in town like Halekulani or the Prince, this ain't it.

The must-do dinner is Ama Ama. It's right along the beach, and if you time it right, you get a beautiful sunset! The food at Ama Ama is pacific fusion. The poke martini appetizer is nice, the entrees were delicious, and the desserts are awesome (if you like tart, try the lilikoi dessert and if you like chocolate, have the chocolate cake)! Ama Ama is pricey - $200 for two including beverages, appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter