Aulani Trip Reports PLEASE!!

I'm still shocked at the refillable mug and how much it costs. I think it's ridiculous. I wonder if the cost is so high because Disney just assumes people will reuse it on multiple trips even though the sign says only for the length of the current stay. How do they enforce that?

I believe the Hawaii Marriott resorts refillable mugs are $35 + tax.

I am visiting Aulani in December as a DVC "guest". I have been told that ONLY DVC members are offered complimentary self-park. All other guests (DVC and non-DVC) will be charged $35/day. Ouch! Looks like we may not rent a car after all.

If you wish, you can snorkel in the ocean for free. Best recommendation I have on Oahu is at Hanauma Bay which is on the east end of Oahu. Believe there is a nominal fee.

Every resort/attraction I know that has some type of swim with the fish/dolphin, etc. charges.

I could swear that John and Kevin's DIS Podcast review of Aulani mentioned specifically that when some Disney bigwig toured Aulani and was told that they planned to charge to snorkel, he said no way are we going to do that. Does anyone else recall that? I wonder what happened then? :confused3

thank you so much for your posts
aulani looks wonderful
nice to see pictures
Can't wait to stay there

I am visiting Aulani in December as a DVC "guest". I have been told that ONLY DVC members are offered complimentary self-park. All other guests (DVC and non-DVC) will be charged $35/day. Ouch! Looks like we may not rent a car after all.

If you're staying on a DVC reservation, I would think you would be given the two free vehicles. I'm not positive, so I suggest you just call and ask.

I just did the character breakfast buffet at Makahiki this morning. They have the breakfast on Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. Price was $36? per person. Only three characters, Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy. There is also a character named aunty who sings, jokes, and entertains. You visit Mickey before going in. They take your picture and then try to sell it to you for $34. Minnie and Goofy make the rounds but they are S L O W!!! We were there for two hours and didn't get to visit with Minnie. People weren't leaving because they were waiting for characters long after they had finished eating.

Swimming with the fishies costs $20. There aren't a whole lot of fishes. If you want to swim with fishes for free, I would recommend making the long drive out to Hanauma Bay, a wildlife sanctuary. There are tons of fish there.

The stingray interaction is currently free because it still is not the full experience. They will be charging for petting the rays soon. The rays are at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., and 2 p.m. Make a reservation with concierge if you want to do this one.

Regarding bracelets for the pools, you must get one every day. To get your bracelet, go to the large pool towel stand, show your room key (one per person) and they'll put a bracelet on you. A different color bracelet is issued each day. Pools are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

We had dinner last night at Ama Ama. It was fabulous. DH had the salt crusted catch of the day and I had duck. With one appetizer and one dessert each, plus one drink and tip, out tab was $200. Lunch tab at Ama Ama was about $75 for two. At Ama Ama you get a beautiful sunset over the beach. And starting at 7 p.m., there was live entertainment.

The take out place next to Ama Ama has a really nice angus burger that they serve with greens or taro chips. Price for that was $17. Drinks in non-refill cups were $3 and bottled water was $2.50.

The hotel amenities are similar to those on the cruise ship by H2O, except packaged for Aulani.

There is a nightly turn down service where they leave an orchid and the next day's Daily Iwi. It kind of looks like the daily planner you get on the cruise ship. It lists out what events will be available that day.

I purchased the small messeger D&B purse. It cost $170.

The gift box of assorted shortbread cookies shaped like Mickey heads costs $20.

I could swear that John and Kevin's DIS Podcast review of Aulani mentioned specifically that when some Disney bigwig toured Aulani and was told that they planned to charge to snorkel, he said no way are we going to do that. Does anyone else recall that? I wonder what happened then? :confused3

Yes, they did. But the executive was Jim Lewis. I don't think he has much pull anymore at DVC.

I forgot to mention they're also doing photopass at Aulani. If you're interested, I suggest starting your card early to get as many pictures as you can. There are photopass photographers at the pool (yeah, I know, I just HAVE to get the pictue of me in a swimsuit riding an innertube), with the characters, and at other locations around the resort.

If you wish, you can snorkel in the ocean for free. Best recommendation I have on Oahu is at Hanauma Bay which is on the east end of Oahu. Believe there is a nominal fee.

Every resort/attraction I know that has some type of swim with the fish/dolphin, etc. charges.

That's exactly why it should be free. I'm in Hawaii, I can go to a beach, and not pretend I'm in the shark lagoon at Typhoon Lagoon!
But a friend of mine who has been to Hawaii many times has told me that Hanauma Bay is awful: very shallow, impossible to snorkle without getting scraped by the coral.

Does anyone know if they're planning on letting us use the TIW card at any of the Aulani restaurants?

Great reports everyone! I can't wait to go there, hopefully next May!

I am typing from my iphone so this will not be that long. Checked on on opening day. Disney did an awesome job! We love it here! We are in a two bedroom which is beautiful.
They actually had FOUR Dooney bags on opening day. One was xomqpletelu different which sold out opening day. All dark brown leather with embossed patterns. They said this one was the first like this. $330. I got this one and my DD got the other tote type which was $220. DH was feeling very generous since he told us all to get one! DD9 got the wristlet which is $50. They are so nice!
Mugs are $33 which is crazy. So far I have counted nine people with mugs over 3 days. We stopped at Safeway and bought 4 12 packs for $14 which included two free bags of chips.
First day was crazy. Ate at the counter service which was not very good. I don't think they have their act together yet. $85 for six burgers which were not good. We have the breakfast buffet twice. Yesterday was just ok. Today was a character breakfast and was much better.
I will try to post more later.

carlbarry: Maui has some nice snorkeling if you want to take a boat out to Molokini. But for Oahu, Hanauma Bay is your best bet for snorkeling. Your friend needs to go swimming, not wading. By that I mean that he's probably snorkeling very close to shore - where all the other people are. If you go out farther to where the water is deep, it is clear because there aren't a bunch of people walking through it and you won't bump into any coral because coral doesn't grow more than one or two feet tall at Hanauma Bay.

But I do agree with you. They shouldn't be charging to swim with the fishes.

But a friend of mine who has been to Hawaii many times has told me that Hanauma Bay is awful: very shallow, impossible to snorkle without getting scraped by the coral.

I kindly disagree with it being to shallow at Hanauma Bay. But if that's your friends opinion, I won't argue.

There are many areas to swim between the coral. To have swum over the reef and gotten scraped, it's likely your friend swam at low tide.

I suggest you try it yourself when you get over here. Your experience may be completely different than your friends. Hopefully you'll enjoy it.

I live in Honolulu, and frequent the bay often. It's $7.50 for 13 and up. 12 and under are free. $1.00 to park all day.

But like you said in your post, just go snorkel in the ocean, and save your money versus paying to swim in the Aulani Rainbow Reef. It's about 50 yards away from the salt water pool.

If you're staying on a DVC reservation, I would think you would be given the two free vehicles. I'm not positive, so I suggest you just call and ask.
Sadly I did call... I was told that I would have to pay for parking. I'll keep checking as this may change over the next few months.

Thanks for all of this. We're so pumped for March. Good thing we got our airfare on FF points. We'd never be able to afford all the things from the gift shop. We especially appreciate all the discussion of the prices and the food. We'll be in a 2 bdrm with a full kitchen. We're not planning to cook all week but we'll definitely stop at the store on the way from the airport.

Thanks for the info on Hanauma. I'll give it a try. Funny thing is, on Tripadvisor, the reviewers give it either 1 star or 5 stars!

Thanks Jeff for all the fantastic info and pics! I can't wait to see it in January!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter