Aulani Luau or Another Oahu Luau

I’m a total newbie. Never been to Hawaii and about to book our Aulani trip in the next week or so. Can someone explain the Luaus to me? They are basically a dinner show, correct? My question would be can you attend a Luau and not purchase dinner? I have a very severe shellfish allergy and also do not eat fish because of the chance for cross contamination. When I looked at the luau menu for Aulani it was heavy fish based. I don’t care for pork so I feel like there will not be much for me to eat for the price tag. I’d love to attend a dinner-optional luau if possible.

I’m a total newbie. Never been to Hawaii and about to book our Aulani trip in the next week or so. Can someone explain the Luaus to me? They are basically a dinner show, correct? My question would be can you attend a Luau and not purchase dinner? I have a very severe shellfish allergy and also do not eat fish because of the chance for cross contamination. When I looked at the luau menu for Aulani it was heavy fish based. I don’t care for pork so I feel like there will not be much for me to eat for the price tag. I’d love to attend a dinner-optional luau if possible.
The feast is the luau. I've never heard of one that didn't include food, though I suppose that one might exist. The entertainment is story telling, hula, fire dancing, and so on.

When I visited in November, the Aulani luau had plenty of chicken, pork, vegetables, salads, breads, and desserts. It was a buffet, so you could get what you wanted. I also don't eat any seafood and I found plenty to eat. I guess only you can decide if it's worth the cost, though.

I haven't done these, but: There is a luau that someone posted about previously, Mele Luau at Coral Crater Park, that has a show-only option, no food or drink. There is also a show at the Polynesian Cultural Center called Ha: Breath of Life that is an evening show with no food (although you can eat at the site for a separate cost)

I haven't done these, but: There is a luau that someone posted about previously, Mele Luau at Coral Crater Park, that has a show-only option, no food or drink. There is also a show at the Polynesian Cultural Center called Ha: Breath of Life that is an evening show with no food (although you can eat at the site for a separate cost)
Thank You!! That’s exactly what I was looking for. Now I can enjoy the show without worrying about my throat closing up!

The feast is the luau. I've never heard of one that didn't include food, though I suppose that one might exist. The entertainment is story telling, hula, fire dancing, and so on.

When I visited in November, the Aulani luau had plenty of chicken, pork, vegetables, salads, breads, and desserts. It was a buffet, so you could get what you wanted. I also don't eat any seafood and I found plenty to eat. I guess only you can decide if it's worth the cost, though.
Thanks for the info. I think I will still pass. The problem with a lot of Asian inspired food is that the sauces contain fish or shellfish derivatives, more so than anyone would ever expect. I sure miss things like egg rolls and fried rice. Even the vegetarian ones have oyster sauce in them. I imagine the Hawaiian food with heavy Asian influence will be the same. Food allergies really are a bummer.

We did the Aulani luau and loved it. Will be doing it again when we go back. However, if there is another luau with a lot of the fire twirlers we would love to check it out too. My son still talks about that from the Aulani luau.

Do you remember if they do any of the fun preshow activities? Like making leis or bracelets with the flowers or spear throwing? I read somewhere about headpieces. Also since it is small can you see even in the cheapest seats? Trying to decide if it is worth the long drive from Aulani versus Paradise Cove.
We did Tao in august and they had a ton of pre show activity like breaking open coconuts with rocks, crushing taro, basket weaving, ext. you also get access to the valley that has a waterfall you can swim in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter