August W.I.S.H.Thread: Awesome August

I've avoided the food heritage part of the question because I didn't want to sound judge-y*, but it's definitely one of the big differences between how DH and I were raised. My house was far from a "sweets-free" zone, but dessert was not part of every dinner, either. (Salad usually was, though, on top of whatever other veggie we having.) DH came from a "food is love" house, and he battles to keep his sweet tooth in check to this day. So I definitely think our food heritage shapes our adult preferences and struggles.

I also think it shapes our expectations in areas like independence and gender roles. In DH's house, meals were kind of seen as an act of service, and very much his mom's domain. In my house (except for big weekend brunches) breakfast was a serve-yourself affair as soon as you could be trusted to use the toaster. :rotfl2: I learned how to start dinner in upper elementary school, simply because I was the first one home, and it was a team effort, with my dad cooking at least as often as my mom. My brother and I were both encouraged to experiment with recipes as well.

Over the years, DH and I have merged our food heritages into something in the middle.

* I really don't believe that some parents are perfect and some make mistakes - we just all make different mistakes!
When I turned 10, my Mother went back to work full-time. It became my job to start (cook) dinner every night, and when she arrived home at 5:10 PM, dinner was ready to be served. She left me written instructions every day, and I followed them word for word until I learned how to cook everything independently. My Father handled some food prep and the BBQ on the weekends. DH's family was more traditional, and his mother did all of the cooking and cleaning. Similar to my original family, DD and I both make dinner, and she's been learning to cook all of her life by my side. She has taken an even more active role during the pandemic. DH cooks on the BBQ and once in a while, homemade pizza.

When I turned 10, my Mother went back to work full-time. It became my job to start (cook) dinner every night, and when she arrived home at 5:10 PM, dinner was ready to be served. She left me written instructions every day, and I followed them word for word until I learned how to cook everything independently. My Father handled some food prep and the BBQ on the weekends. DH's family was more traditional, and his mother did all of the cooking and cleaning. Similar to my original family, DD and I both make dinner, and she's been learning to cook all of her life by my side. She has taken an even more active role during the pandemic. DH cooks on the BBQ and once in a while, homemade pizza.
This is awesome on so many levels!

I hate having to travel and food choices are limited to fast food restaurants-there is nothing at a Burger King I want to eat! I just feel like it’s a wasted meal and it definitely affects my mood. On the other hand, starting the day with a healthy breakfast that I enjoy sets the tone for the rest of day in a positive way.

My parents were not very adventurous cooks or willing to try unusual foods. My mother loved frozen vegetables (other than corn and tomatoes) and cooked them to death! I only ate fresh vegetables like asparagus or Brussels sprouts at restaurants or someone else’s house.
So on my own I learned to cook an entirely different way. My daughter and her husband are both good cooks-and I love seeing my grandson eat fresh broccoli and roasted asparagus.

My goals this month are getting back on track after 10 days of vacation.
Went to the grocery store and farm stand today and stocked up for cooking at home again.
Walk 2 miles 5x a week
I’ll weigh myself Friday, but know I have to lose at least six pounds to get in a comfortable range.

And a mental health goal-de clutter. My husband has too many clothes (he doesn’t get rid of things as he buys new stuff!) and it’s making me crazy. I am going through his things this week with a large bag and off to Goodwill.

I've never noticed if foods affect my moods, but I know that when I am stressed I reach for chocolate. Now I can't eat chocolate so it's more likely to be a granola bar.

My grandmother cooked meat, potatoes and two vegetables (usually something frozen) for every single dinner. It was usually followed by a couple cookies. I don't remember a specific style/heritage from my mom. She was definitely the cook in our family and my dad cleaned up.

WOO HOO! My family went on vacation for the first time since 2019!
We got to use our airline credits from our cancelled 2020 vacation. We remained safe and healthy in spite of the multitudes of non mask-wearing people in the airports (only enforced on the actual airplanes) and inside our hotel. We were definitely in the minority, and we got a lot of looks because we wore our masks inside.

WOO HOO! I have lost 3 pounds of my vacation weight gain!
I gained 4 pounds before the trip (100% stress-related), and 6 more on the trip (100% FUN). So I have 7 more pounds to lose to be back to my June weight. I'm trying not to feel guilty about it and just focusing on getting rid of it.

WOO HOO! I have 12 more days before I have to set up my classroom!

WOO HOO! I get to see my closest family members in less than a week!

I have not seen them in person since Christmas 2019.

Woohoo that we had a great family vacation! Lots of fun.

Woohoo only gained 2lbs (as Summer said, 100% fun!)

Woohoo headed to the beach next week for another family get together and then my close group of friends arrive for a long weekend! So staying on track to try to lose those “fun” pounds!

WooHoos:

Good blood pressure at the dentist yesterday (I'm a little prone to "white coat syndrome," so that's not always the case.)

Have made one new recipe already this month (just a new way to do pork chops - marinated in Greek dressing, then baked, turning over halfway and spreading mayo/cheese/bacon bits on top!)

Woohoo - I’m enjoying my new workout program and fitting in some runs to prep for my virtual Lion King 5k.

Woohoo - I’ve been spending time Monday morning with my 2 year old nephew (going to the park, etc). So fun!

Woohoo - my husband took me to see Jungle Cruise at the theater. I loved it (I love the corny jokes on the ride and they included them in the movie too!) and we were the only people in the theater…so didn’t have to worry about social distancing ;)

Wahoo I got up at o'dark thirty and did yoga. I didn't do her live class because it froze on me (which now I remember is the reason I quit getting up!!). Instead I did yesterday's workout. Tomorrow morning I will do today's practice!!

Wahoo someone gave us fresh peaches and they taste so incredibly delicious. Oh yummmmm

Wahoo today was my first day back at work and I had a good day!

Checking in all...need to refocus as things are getting stress-y.
Spent the last couple of days wondering why no one was posting on July WISH :confused3

Also realizing my humor does not always translate on message boards *sigh*

Anyway happy August! Still hoping to take our vaca as planned in a couple weeks...we'll make the call this weekend. 4 out of the 13 going are cancelling but one of the kids is now starting school earlier than planned so I get it.

Been super stressed and my eating style is reflecting it. Trying to compensate with excersize which included a mile walk yesterday. The skinny jeans still fit but they are tighter than I would like.

Time to get ready for work. The pouring rain is really not motivating right now.

Checking in all...need to refocus as things are getting stress-y.
Spent the last couple of days wondering why no one was posting on July WISH :confused3

Also realizing my humor does not always translate on message boards *sigh*

Anyway happy August! Still hoping to take our vaca as planned in a couple weeks...we'll make the call this weekend. 4 out of the 13 going are cancelling but one of the kids is now starting school earlier than planned so I get it.

Been super stressed and my eating style is reflecting it. Trying to compensate with excersize which included a mile walk yesterday. The skinny jeans still fit but they are tighter than I would like.

Time to get ready for work. The pouring rain is really not motivating right now.
:hug:

I had a telephone interaction yesterday that resulted in me making a huge mistake and dissolving into tears. I got assistance from a higher up who treated me with so much compassion and understanding. The dramatic difference between those two people is mind-boggling. Thanks to the help from the person who treated me with kindness, I should be able to repair my error by the end of this week.

I am thankful for that person who treated me with understanding, compassion, and kindness.
EA21A472-94FF-4A0F-B7D1-F46A68F3B40A.jpeg

I had a telephone interaction yesterday that resulted in me making a huge mistake and dissolving into tears. I got assistance from a higher up who treated me with so much compassion and understanding. The dramatic difference between those two people is mind-boggling. Thanks to the help from the person who treated me with kindness, I should be able to repair my error by the end of this week.

I am thankful for that person who treated me with understanding, compassion, and kindness.
View attachment 594856
:hug:

Yesterday I had my annual skin cancer screening and I'm grateful for this because she found a pre-cancer spot that could just be blasted off, before it became something of concern... so that appointment went very well.

This morning I pulled out a top that I haven't been able to fit into and it fits perfectly.

It's been a while since I've gotten what I think of as "higher-being messages", since the ADHD diagnosis really which is interesting. But this week I keep hearing about dreaming and dreaming big and manifesting those visions, so I'm working on that and am grateful for the reminders.

So my days have now turned into a crazy mess and I can't even remember what day it is. The kids schedules have gotten crazy with soccer and marching band. There is over lap with both so we have been trying to figure out who goes where and when. Thankfully my kids are not the only ones in this situations. There at least 8 on the boys soccer team that are in band too and both the band director and soccer coaches are working together. The soccer coach says band comes first because it is a grade and the band director says performance (games) over practices. Everything will get easier when school starts to on the 25th.

I haven't been able to catch up on reading so I will just do Woohoo Wednesday and Thankful Thursday.

My Woohoo is that I didn't gain weight in July. I didn't lose any either but the way the month went I am ok with this. I need to get back on track as much as possible this month. Kids will be at band practice for 4 hours a night M-F so this will be my time to get on the treadmill, walk outside or go for a bike ride.

I am thankful for my work. They are so flexible. DH was not able to take DD to soccer try outs this week and Wednesday and Thursdays I am in the office. My boss let me work from home so I can take her. Yesterday, I only need to drop her off and then went in the office. Today I needed to drop her off and pick her up so I am working from home then taking her home and heading in the office. He is also ok with me working from my car, which is what I am doing right now. It would just take up too much time to drive back and fourth. So I am so thankful that the my work puts family first and I can still get my kids to there activities.

Yesterday I had my annual skin cancer screening and I'm grateful for this because she found a pre-cancer spot that could just be blasted off, before it became something of concern... so that appointment went very well.

I just had my check last week. I have to go every year and for awhile twice a year because I had pre-cancer cells on my back shortly after having DS. I am glad they were able to take care of yours quickly. Sounds like it was caught in the very early stages. Mine they had to do minor surgery (still just in the office) and dig more out. So I have a small scar on my lower back by my spine. Most people don't realize how important this screening is. I didn't until this happened. I was actually going to get another spot looked at. That spot was fine but she found the one on my back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!