August 28, 2004 "LOST AT SEA" Cruise

Didn't mean to forget our neighbors to the North. I think it will definately be a North East dominated cruise. There are some schools (like my cousins) that are year-round and have school term breaks at different times. I think most of those are out West.

I'm trying to plan DD's 6th birthday celebration and all I can think of is her 7th on our cruise. Better crack down and take care of this year first. I'm just looking forward to next year so-o-o-o much.

See ya', fellow cruisers!

Sandy...LOL about DD B-day. We are going to Vistana Resort and I can't stop planning the cruise and which time share I will be switching for NEXT YEAR. Happy Birthday to your DD.

Joanna

i am going on August 2003 cruise and i just got my cabin today. I am in room 2626. i am looking for tips for a great time. let me know. hope to see you all there.

traveling with me will be my husband, daughter 11 son 6.

looking for a great time and hope to see you all there.:Pinkbounc

Tonia...Was that a typo or are you also going this August (2003). If so, try to get your $200 on board credit for a repeat cruiser if you book on board.

If not, I'll see you in 393 days. But who's counting? I am.I am.

Joanna

Just want to let you know cabin 2626 is on Dave's noisy list. It may not bother you, as it all depends on the person.

Go to www.dcltribute.com and check out the noisy rooms, if you'd like.

Has anyone ever been on a RCI cruise. I have only cruised Disney before but I just booked the 11/1 Navigator of the Seas to tide us over til our next Magical Cruise on 8/28.

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions either way about the ship. I hear pretty good things - only negative so far is that they have salt water pools - my kids were bummed.

Anyway - Im sure we will have fun - but Im also sure the disney magic will be missing.

Ginny

Tonia...Well like me you have to wait a LITTLE over a year for your cruise.

Ginny...There is a thread about RC vs. Disney on this board, if you haven't done so check it out.

Let me know how RCI was after you go. I'm sure the ship is awesome and you will have a great time.

We just switched from a July 4th week, 4 night cruise, to the August 28th, 2004, 7 night cruise! :)

I'm glad to see this thread, I'd love to get to know some DISers before the cruise, and I'm hoping some of you will have kids close in age to my DSs. They are 12 and 15 now, and will be 13 and 16 when we cruise next year. DS15 has been on the Disney Wonder, and loved it, when he was 12 yrs old. DH and I just got back a month ago from a Royal Caribbean cruise, the Nordic Empress from NYC to Bermuda. It will be DS12's very first cruise though! :) Neither of them know about the cruise yet. We're going to wait till the dead of winter to tell them. That's IF I can wait that long. LOL

And whoever said it is right... It will probably be full of us north-east people who's kids don't go back to school till after Labor Day!

P.S. I am originally from NJ, so count me in on the "NJ people" count :p

Glad you checked in. This is the place to ask questions about DCL. I didn't find this board until after my first DCL and sure wish I had known about it before. I'm still learning alot from the DIS.

My DD will be 7 when we cruise. I know your boys will have a great time. There is something for everyone.

WINNYIS asked about RCL. Maybe you can answer that.

And once again, welcome to another northeaster. LOL.;)

Seaspray, how was the water leaving NY? Was it rough? I want to try a cruise to Bermuda and I am trying to convince my friends to come. The Carnival Pride now does Bermuda cruises and that ship is about the same size as the Magic.

We are sailing on this ship and our DD will be 7. This will be our 4th Cruise on the Magic.

Welcome seaspray... Yeah tell us about the waters out of NY. I think I am one of the people Darwin is trying to convince, along with another friend of ours. LOL

Check out the first post on this thread, I have a list of those going and ages of kids if they listed them, for quick reference. I know there are others here going that haven't listed on this page yet, so I didn't put them in the first post.

Welcome aboard to another East Coaster

Joanna

We sailed out of NYC on June 29th on the Nordic Empress, which is relatively speaking a SMALL ship, and you really couldn't feel the ship move much at all. We spent time at the very back of the ship while we were leaving NYC, having our own private party. We were with a group of 6 people and we had a blast. We missed the "official" Sail Away party though, and when we do the Disney cruise next summer, we plan on being right in the middle of the action!

The next day was a full day at sea and while the ship still wasn't moving much (not that you could really feel), there were waves in the pool on the top deck! LOL It was fun, actually. Not huge waves, but they were caused by the movement of the ship.

When we left Bermuda that following Friday afternoon the seas were a bit choppy. That night my sisters in law and I were dancing in the lounge that is at the far end of the ship, top deck, and boy we could feel the dancefloor moving beneath our feet. We'd all sway and move in unison, as if we were choreographed. lol But it wasn't an unpleasant thing, it really added to the fun of the night. lol

However....later that night, around midnight, I was tired and told my DH and 2 brothers and 2 SILs that I was going to bed and I'd see them in the morning. I went down to my cabin, got undressed, started watching a good movie but within about 15 minutes I threw some clothes back on and went back up to the lounge to be with them! It was just too creepy being alone at that point, feeling the ship go up the air, sort of, as we'd hit the waves. Our cabin was near the front of the ship so I think this is why I felt the movement so much when I was in bed. So the 6 of us stayed up till about 2am, then we were all so tired we just went to bed. My SILs said they woke at 5am Saturday morning due to the movement of the ship, but I slept right through it. The captain said we had hit 15' waves, which I guess is not uncommon. I didn't notice any passengers on the ship who were sick from the waves. DH and I took 1 Bonine tablet each morning of the cruise, even the days we were docked in Bermuda, because I had read that you should take it as a preventative every day, starting with the day BEFORE your cruise, because it's easier to avoid seasickness than it is it treat it once you feel sick.

I hope this answered some of your questions about sailing out of NYC. I wouldn't hesitate to sail out of NYC again, it was great, and we're planning on taking the 9-night Voyager cruise out of NYC to the Caribbean, in summer of 2005. Of course this is a MUCH larger ship than we were on going to Bermuda, so I doubt you'd feel much motion on that one.

Thanks for your report Seaspray. I think I would be hesitant to go an the smaller ships. The sea, horizon, zenith. But I wouldn't rule out the Voyager out of NY. Ship is sooo big, I really don't think you would feel anything.

Thanks
Joanna

P.S.

I forgot to thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Joanna:
Are you concerned about seasickness? I know a lot of people don't like the idea of the smaller ships that sail the Atlantic because of that reason. If someone could really predict the weather, and you knew for sure you wouldn't hit any rough seas, then it'd be fine, but you just never know.

Thats exactly it, yes I am very concerned about seasickness. I hear all these things about the Atlantic that the dishes and glasses rattle on the table etc, etc. But 2005 on the voyager sounds like a real possibility. We can have a RCCL meet in 2005.LOL

Joanna

welcome SeaSpray i hope to see you on the cruise. i tried to wait to tell my children but I am so excited that i could not hold it in. we have cruised before mostly on carnival so this is our first disney cruise. i am sure your boys will have a great time. there is so much information on the disboards that my trip is basically planned already:cool: i am ready to leave now!!

p.s. being from Mass. still puts you with the north east cruise but you never stop being a JERSEY GIRL ha ha ha ha

Have you seen the t-shirts VERANDAH MAN has designed for his upcoming cruise? Maybe we could design one for our cruise or ask Andy to do a design.

Something like: East Coasters Cruising the Western, Aug 2004.

Tshirts that Veranda Man designed - I would love to see them.

Thanks

Ginny

OOOh Sandy Girl you may be onto something here. We were on the Inaugural Western and Garry had T-shirts made for our cruise. I was new to the DIS then and didn't get in on it, but now I know better.

Sandy Girl you are on the ball, that is a great idea. let me know. i sounds like a great plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter