August 2021 - will I be going ?

My original trip was booked for October 2020. It got cancelled June 2020 and rebooked for August 2021….who knew we’d still be in this position 14 months later.

if it wasn’t already booked I wouldn’t be even contemplating going anywhere this year, but I really don’t want to have to rearrange it again. We bought all our park tickets (disney, universal etc) 2 months before the world went crazy….and the dates on those have only been extended to the end of this year. We wouldn’t be able to rebook for this year….😭 it’s just a nightmare of uncertainty for everyone!

Me and my partner are fully vaccinated, his kids aren’t as they under 18/under 10.
We're in the same position as you. I've seen some folks mentioning that you can contact Disney and they will extend your tickets into the next year so long as you cover the difference between the new ticket price. Haven't looked into it myself yet but had this saved in the back of my head just in case. Anybody else have any info on this? Only if tickets are purchased directly from Disney or would they extend any valid Disney ticket?

We booked them all through a third party website - I’m sure we’d just have to pay the difference for another year’s tickets.
Along with the extra money for the flights and discovery cove we’ve already paid from moving it from last year!

I still have a very faint glimmer of hope somewhere that I won’t have to sort that though! 😬🤞🏻

We booked them all through a third party website - I’m sure we’d just have to pay the difference for another year’s tickets.
Along with the extra money for the flights and discovery cove we’ve already paid from moving it from last year!

I still have a very faint glimmer of hope somewhere that I won’t have to sort that though! 😬🤞🏻
My tickets expire 30th Sep this year but attractiontickets said I could cancel them by 1st August to get them swapped to next year. Don't even need to send them back, just send a photo of chopped up tickets.
Good luck

I have cancelled our trip late July / aug 😭 the suddenness of the Portugal thing really put us off. I doubt we could afford to pay a premium to rebook flights home at short notice and neither can we afford keep our business closed and quarantine. We had already pushed it booking an extended stay as it's likely our last big family trip before the teen starts wanting to go on holiday with mates etc😭😭 hoping maybe a Xmas reschedule is possible but that would mean 2 week off school for youngest 😡

Anyway
I've long given up any belief that the government have a ce doing when it comes to managing travel during COVID. They've done some things right, but certainly not this.

This is a bit tongue in cheek, but bear with me...

The problem with the spend money at home argument is there are 730,000 hotel rooms (2011 data, the number will have gone up a bit) in the UK, but 11.5 million school kids. That means everyone can take a two and a half night break during the six week summer holiday (rounding out on the basis that although many families have more than one child, they'll also need more than one room). You'd also have to ban travel by anyone who doesn't have a kid in school. My thoughts and prayers to whoever gets the Travelodge between the pig farm and the cement works on the side of the A19...

It's so annoying and I can't imagine they are going to relax the school attendance rules/ fines so we can holiday in the UK. As you say options this summer are hugely limited already in the u.k! I suppose they will argue the kids have just had 18 month off school, how can the possibly take any more time off for a holiday.

People have stuff that was pre-booked even before covid existed, plus all the people trying to reschedule cancelled trips, business juggling staff annual leaves that will be all over the place!

We have paid almost £100 a night for a tent pitch in Cornwall ( and that's still taking 3 days off school ) . Our accomodation in Florida averaged £60ish 😭

My tickets expire 30th Sep this year but attractiontickets said I could cancel them by 1st August to get them swapped to next year. Don't even need to send them back, just send a photo of chopped up tickets.
Good luck

That’s promising as that’s who we booked the tickets through.
Thanks for that info, I’ll bear it in mind.

there are 730,000 hotel rooms
I should think that other accommodations like self-catering would far exceed those numbers. And there won't be any/many foreign visitors.
Possibly not enough for all but a lot of people will likely just stay home (try buying garden furniture, etc, just now) and take day trips to the beach/zoo/whatever.
And people without kids generally avoid the school holidays anyway :)

Let's be realistic - despite our vaccinations we are still deep in an international health crisis with new variants popping up at intervals. Going abroad for fun is a privilege and a risk, not a right. I'm afraid I have no time for those who rushed off to Portugal and are now complaining about the goalposts moving - we were warned they were on wheels.

I should think that other accommodations like self-catering would far exceed those numbers. And there won't be any/many foreign visitors.
Possibly not enough for all but a lot of people will likely just stay home (try buying garden furniture, etc, just now) and take day trips to the beach/zoo/whatever.
And people without kids generally avoid the school holidays anyway :)

Let's be realistic - despite our vaccinations we are still deep in an international health crisis with new variants popping up at intervals. Going abroad for fun is a privilege and a risk, not a right. I'm afraid I have no time for those who rushed off to Portugal and are now complaining about the goalposts moving - we were warned they were on wheels.
My apologies if you missed my very clear comment that my post was tongue in cheek...

I don't see any reason for USA not to be on the UK green list by August if not earlier as vaccination numbers are very similar, but the final hurdle will be USA allowing travel into the country. I have my fingers crossed for myself for September and don't see why this wouldn't be in place by August. Just have to sit tight and wait for news I guess.
there is a very big reason for it not to be on the green list. The government wants uk money to be spent here not elsewhere

I asked Simon Calder (travel journalist) on a live chat thing yesterday, desperate I know, and he basically said August was 50/50 and impossible to predict.

I'm not getting any hopes up whatsoever, but like a post above, my tickets expire at the end of September!

Is anyone worried about the fact most of the Uk were vaccinated with Astra Zeneca but the CDC hasn't approved it. Will the USA basically consider us unvaccinated?

Is anyone worried about the fact most of the Uk were vaccinated with Astra Zeneca but the CDC hasn't approved it. Will the USA basically consider us unvaccinated?
I was initially but I'm assuming just by seeing how the vaccine is helping to keep deaths down primarily right now then hopefully cases once more people get vaccinated, the figures alone will show that it's doing something.

I wouldn't worry about that. The only 3 vaccines that have been approved by the CDC are Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson. Guess what they all have in common? They are all American companies. Why would they let someone else make money when they can look after themselves.

I've been looking into this tonight as I plan to travel to the US this summer (as an exception). The CDC website says:
After travel information for people fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccine or a vaccine authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization

I think the key here is 'authorized for emergency use by the WHO' as I think the AZ vaccine is covered under this.

the figures alone will show that it's doing something.
Yes.
Hopefully the 'taskforce' will look at the data rather than the politics or whatever.
The UK is a leader in producing reliable data on variants, etc, so hopefully the US will acknowledge that.

I was also both saddened and pleased that the Delta variant is already 'in the wild' in the US, so that is less of a reason to keep us out ... not that such logic is necessarily going to be used. (But I do wonder how the frick did it get in there, given their restricted access?)

Last edited:

I think the key here is 'authorized for emergency use by the WHO' as I think the AZ vaccine is covered under this.

I was also thinking about that the other day but I think Sophie has hit the nail on the head there. As long as it was WHO approved I don't think there should be an issue.

Hi,

Given that the US allowed vistors from India into the US until the Presdential Proclamation of April 30th, it is likely to have come in before then and has been slowly circulating

I'm still holding hope for September but as everyday goes by I become more and more sure it won't happen...

One question I have for everyone is about testing to return home to the UK - I dont see the gov removing this requirement anytime soon but how are people planning to go and risk not being able to get back? I'm trying to work out the logistics of a worst case scenario of what happens if you test positive before your flight home - would it literally just be a case of paying to extend your trip and find a hotel until you test negative? I think its this risk more than anything that will put a stop to my plans even if the US opens the borders! Would love to know everyone's plans for this aspect! (Aware I also need to check if travel insurance covers extended stay but pretty sure it won't!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter