At what age did you stop using a stroller for your child at the Disney parks?

My girls were 5 & 7 on the last trip we used a stroller that they both used. Disney is a lot of walking and even thought we didn't use a stroller in "real life" when they were that age, Disney life is very different. We did a simple umbrella stroller for ease of travel and I am so glad we did. It was great to have a rest spot for them and our stuff. I know people can be judgmental about older kids in strollers but 1- it's none of their business and 2- if it keeps you and your kids happy, all the more reason to have it. You know your kids best and I knew my girls would not enjoy walking 15-20k steps a day without me or my husband carrying them.

We are planning to go in August 2022 (as long as my kids can get vaccinated before then), and I've been thinking a lot about strollers. We've always used them, but on our next trip, my kids will be turning 8 and 6. I know my younger child will definitely need one. He just doesn't seem to have much stamina. Half way through a supermarket trip he will tell me "I used up all my energy" and will want to ride in the cart. He also hates going on walks. My older one might be able to walk the whole time, but then we're going to have to change how we spend our time at Disney. We usually get to the parks around park opening and stay until 7-9 pm. My husband pushes the kids in our double stroller the whole day, but sometimes they will get out to walk. If we make our older child walk then we will probably have to go back to the resort for breaks each day. I can't picture her walking from 8/9 am until 8/9 pm without a significant break. So I'm deciding if I should bring our single stroller and have the kids take turns, with my younger kid using it 75% of the time, or if we should bring the double stroller again. My daughter has actually outgrown the weight limit, so I don't know if she would wear it down. I also worry my husband will get exhausted pushing 90-100lbs all day. He doesn't seem worried and thinks we should still bring the double stroller.

My girls were 8 and 6 no stroller. We aren't the "must do it all" family so we took our time, rested when needed. Worked out just fine. (Plus the Tiki room is a prime nap spot!)

My kids were 4 the last year in a stroller. That being said, every child is different. I have seen some pretty big kids in strollers and nobody at Disney bats an eye like they would if you were at the mall or something. My grandsons are almost 7&6 and I can see them needing a stroller. They are both small for their ages and don’t seem to have the stamina or the maturity that my kids had. If you think you may need it, it’s better to bring it just in case than to leave it and need it!!

My twins turned 7 in Jan and I used the stroller for the first half of their birthday trip. We ditched it half way through and it was so much easier not having to constantly find a parking spot for it. We went back in April and I didn't bother with one.

My 4YO is long & lean; she looked like a 12 year old in the stroller last week. That being said, it was a NECESSITY & I’ll keep bringing the double stroller til she’s like 7/8 even if she’s 6’ 😆 - not worth the argument; I’d rather just push her lazy butt.

If it makes a difference I have boys and there are no special needs.

I realize if the boys walk we will probably need to take an afternoon break.

I’ve been having this exact debate in my head for the last 2 weeks.

I love disboards. Anything and everything I’ve been concerned about has been discussed on this site.
I can get multiple perspectives and insight without being that annoying wife/mother/friend who spends all day talking about Disney.

We are planning to go in August 2022 (as long as my kids can get vaccinated before then), and I've been thinking a lot about strollers. We've always used them, but on our next trip, my kids will be turning 8 and 6. I know my younger child will definitely need one. He just doesn't seem to have much stamina. Half way through a supermarket trip he will tell me "I used up all my energy" and will want to ride in the cart. He also hates going on walks. My older one might be able to walk the whole time, but then we're going to have to change how we spend our time at Disney. We usually get to the parks around park opening and stay until 7-9 pm. My husband pushes the kids in our double stroller the whole day, but sometimes they will get out to walk. If we make our older child walk then we will probably have to go back to the resort for breaks each day. I can't picture her walking from 8/9 am until 8/9 pm without a significant break. So I'm deciding if I should bring our single stroller and have the kids take turns, with my younger kid using it 75% of the time, or if we should bring the double stroller again. My daughter has actually outgrown the weight limit, so I don't know if she would wear it down. I also worry my husband will get exhausted pushing 90-100lbs all day. He doesn't seem worried and thinks we should still bring the double stroller.

Our kids will be 8 and 5 on our next trip too. We are going in Feb '22. We are planning on renting a double stroller. We are park open to park close people. We plan on having our kids walk most of the time, but want to have the stroller for when they need a break especially towards the end of the night. That being said this will probably be the last stroller trip for us.

The last time we brought a stroller kids were 4, 6, and 8. After many trips with at least one stroller / some with two (double and single) was amazingly freeing first time went without one. However depending on crowds (cause how likes pushing stroller through a mob of people) will say that it was nice to have something to put all your stuff in at times.

My 4YO is long & lean; she looked like a 12 year old in the stroller last week. That being said, it was a NECESSITY & I’ll keep bringing the double stroller til she’s like 7/8 even if she’s 6’ 😆 - not worth the argument; I’d rather just push her lazy butt.
just make sure she keeps her feet up on bar not on ground. friends had a tall child break an ankle while being pushed in stroller when she put her foot down and pushing parent did not see it. not a fin way to end a trip to a theme park at ER. not saying you should not use just watch for this happening

We used a double stroller city mini when my girls were 2 and 6 and that worked great - the 6 year old didn't ride all the time but it was nice if she wanted to sit. On our last trip we had 3 kids, 10/5/2. We just took a chicco lightweight single stroller - mostly used by the 2 year old, but my 5 year old sat in it a couple times.

We have always rented the City Mini from KS for my DGS, last trip he was 4 1/2, he’ll turn six on this trip and has always taken a nap in the stroller. His step brother is 6 1/2 and joining us this trip with their parents. I insisted that we rent a double. We’re walking to DHS and EPCOT and they’ll definitely need it for the ride back. I told my daughter, park it and leave it if you want but you’ll be glad to have it come afternoon. It’s a good place for a rest and a snack! I do assume this will be our last year. My own kids we gave them up after four.

My average non special needs children used there last stroller at Disney at age 5. My grandson is special needs and will always need something due to low muscle tone, poor stamina and other issues- he is 6 but the size of most 3-4 year olds and has an adaptive stroller and wheelchair.

keep in mind if you are planning to put older children in rented strollers that there are weight limits of usually 50 lbs per seat.

Up thru age 5; we found after Kindergarten that they simply wouldn't use one even if we offered; too babyish. (I suspect it might be different if you had one anyway for a younger sibling, but ours are far enough apart in age that that wasn't an option.)

Using a detachable rear step for an older child is an option if you only wish to bring a single for a younger one. Gives them a place to rest and lean on you for just a while, and you can fold it up out of the way when not in use.

Still trying to figure it out. Our last trip was to WDW when our kids were 1 and 3 and we had a double stroller that we used constantly. Our next trip will be to DLR and our kids will be 8 months, 2, and 5, so we will use the double again and see how it goes with the 5yo. I’ve been considering getting a Buggy Board for the 5yo but I’m not sure how useful that will be. If anyone has had experience with that please share!

We’ll be staying at VGC in a 2BR so I don’t think it’ll be much of an issue since we’re planning on stopping back at the room for naptime and some meals. Also we’ll be there for 2 weeks since we had a lot of DVC points to use up, so we’ll be taking it easy and we’re not doing the parks every day. I’m considering this a practice run with 3 kids for the first time before we go to WDW later this year when the kids will be 1, 3, and 5. DLR is so much easier since we drive there and just walk everywhere once we’re there, whereas we have to fly across the country to WDW and there’s so much transportation involved to get around.

Our first visit was with a just turned 4 year old. Neve used a stroller all trip. However I didn't drive at the time so they were used to walking everywhere

Our first visit was with a just turned 4 year old. Neve used a stroller all trip. However I didn't drive at the time so they were used to walking everywhere

Also to add the 4 year old was my daughter . My son was 5 and although walked fine he was a bit of a nightmare with making a run for it at any opportunity so if we had taken one I probably would have strapped him in it!

just make sure she keeps her feet up on bar not on ground. friends had a tall child break an ankle while being pushed in stroller when she put her foot down and pushing parent did not see it. not a fin way to end a trip to a theme park at ER. not saying you should not use just watch for this happening

The amount of kids that I see sticking their fingers on the wheels while the parents are oblivious, is astounding. Broken fingers anyone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter