At the transfer desk now

We just got back from Miami sailing on the Magic. We stayed at a Miami hotel and took the
hotel van to the pier.. When I rolled our two checked bags to the pier baggage handler
he put out his hand and said "aren't our going to give us something for taking your bags.??
I already had $5 in my hand so that is what he got. He surprised me but I was ready to tip..

We just got back from Miami sailing on the Magic. We stayed at a Miami hotel and took the
hotel van to the pier.. When I rolled our two checked bags to the pier baggage handler
he put out his hand and said "aren't our going to give us something for taking your bags.??
I already had $5 in my hand so that is what he got. He surprised me but I was ready to tip..

He would have gotten a good 'ol fashioned high five from me ;)

I had a taxi driver who was gonna hand me back the money I gave him he told me I needed it more than he did and I asked why. His response was that I hadn't tipped him. I told him if you bothered to unfold what's in your hand you'd see you have both your fare and tip

He is the reason I hate tipping especially for a thing that is your job

My tipping guidelines (I took many of these from what I got reimbursed for at work). Just my two cents...I know everyone is different...

$2/bag skycap
$3/day housekeeping (add $1 per person in room per day)
$2/bag shuttle driver - if he does not help with bags no need to tip
$2/bag for bellman that brings my luggage up to my room - more if he assisted me situating everything out of my car (no tip to the guy who wheels my luggage to the front desk)
$3-5/valet upon pickup - no tip at dropoff (depends on where my car was parked - if close $3 if he had to run to get it $5)
Room Service 10%
Tour Guide - $5 per person in group or if private tour 20%
$1/coat at coat check
$10/day concierge (if he's booking tickets, etc.)
20% waiter (15% if mediocre service, 25% if excellent)
Taxi 10-15% depending on service, additional $2/bag if helping with bags
Spa 20% (10% if mediocre)

My tipping guidelines (I took many of these from what I got reimbursed for at work). Just my two cents...I know everyone is different...

$2/bag skycap
$3/day housekeeping (add $1 per person in room per day)
$2/bag shuttle driver - if he does not help with bags no need to tip
$2/bag for bellman that brings my luggage up to my room - more if he assisted me situating everything out of my car (no tip to the guy who wheels my luggage to the front desk)
$3-5/valet upon pickup - no tip at dropoff (depends on where my car was parked - if close $3 if he had to run to get it $5)
Room Service 10%
Tour Guide - $5 per person in group or if private tour 20%
$1/coat at coat check
$10/day concierge (if he's booking tickets, etc.)
20% waiter (15% if mediocre service, 25% if excellent)
Taxi 10-15% depending on service, additional $2/bag if helping with bags
Spa 20% (10% if mediocre)

This is right in line with my normal.

I was going to create a separate thread on what I'm about to write but this thread seems like a good place.

For me it's more about courtesy and blessing others when I can. The people in the positions we're discussing can't make a whole lot of $. The ones onboard even go for long periods of time away from family. If I have the means to do something that helps them out or brightens their day a little bit, it's something I want to do. Not because I "have" to. Disney Company in general has brought my wife and I so many happy memories that we like to take some time to let the people who are a part of that "magic" let them know we appreciate them.

What we have started doing on our last 2 cruises is to carry whatever holiday candy it is for that time of the year onboard with us(such as the candy canes filled with M&M's at Christmas or chocolate filled hearts at Valentine's Day). We carry 1 per night for our servers and our stateroom host and give the candy to them each night. We also try to carry a couple of extra with us in case we run into someone who goes above and beyond.

You may be asking why in the world would we do this but on our last cruise a few weeks ago it became very real for us. We had been leaving the candy for our stateroom host each night and he appreciated it. On our last day, we went to the towel animal class and so that night before turn down, we made a towel dinosaur and left the last night's candy under him. After the show, my wife ran up to our room and our stateroom host was moved to tears just from this small act of kindness that took 5 minutes and $3. He told my wife he had even called his mom back at home to tell her about what we had left for him. Later he even brought by one of the officers to meet us because he was so thankful.

Please don't take me writing this as me telling you that this is something you have to do to have a good time or good service. I'm just making the suggestion that if it's in your means to do a little something extra for people, whether in your daily life or on vacation, give it a try. Not everyone will appreciate it, not everyone will be friendly, don't expect anything back but that one time when you have an experience like we did, the joy it brings is worth it all.

We only get one trip around this thing called life, take a little time and bring some happiness to the journey!

Last edited:
This whole concept that I should feel obligated to tip "anyone who touches my bags" is so completely wrong to me.

If I *ask* someone to handle my bags, then sure. If I am not given the option to handle my own bags, then maybe. Depends on the situation. If I am perfectly happy and capable of retrieving my own bag, but someone jumps in and grabs them without my permission? Probably not.

To each his own, of course, but I really hope people aren't feeling "obligated" based on the actions and opinions of others.

That happened to us in Miami too!!! I'm like, uhm... can you wait two seconds so we make sure you have everything and so I can pull out the money. He almost got nothing!

This is why we want to carry on all bags, lol. I don't want anyone handling my bags, especially not if I have to pay them.

I can't be the only frugal person on this board!!

I carry ours on but because I want to be able to unpack immediately. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter