Article about my Dad's death in the Orlando Sentinel

DisneyKevin

Kelvis
Super Moderator
Hi Folks,

I'm posting the link to the article about my Dad's death because I think what the state of Florida is doing is an outrage.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...destrian-crash-stcloud20100129,0,641621.story

The DUI manslaughter charges against the man that hit and killed my Dad have been DROPPED.

The article explains why.

I apologize that this is not the most pleasant article to read....but I feel like I have to let people know.

There is a place to comment, so if you feel the need, please do so.

This whole thing is having a devastating effect on my family.

Kevin, I am so sorry that this is happening. I know from personal experience how devestating this is.

Wow! I can't see how in the world the law could allow him to get out of this. DUI means driving under the influence. It isn't DUIA (alcohol). When Ambien first came out, I'd heard of cases against people who were driving early in the morning and still influenced by Ambien they had taken the night before.

Obviously Cocaine and Xanax will influence someone. Kevin, I'm sure this has really been hard on your family. Has your mother considered a Civil Rights case?

Kevin, I have lurked on these boards for a couple of years, but this is my first post. I felt compelled to tell you that I have felt your pain and understand your families frustration. Years ago I list my best friend to a drunk driver. Charges were dismissed because of some stupid technicality and the killer got off with a slap on the wrist. And to place any blame on an elderly victim is just cruel. I am very sorry you and your family have had this unnecessary pain added to your grief. Your dad sounded like a wonderful human being, it is a shame that his memory is being besmirched by someone who is a criminal.

I'm so sorry Kevin, I wan't to write something eloquent but all that keeps going through my head is "it's wrong". :(

:hug:

Could we organize a petition or letter writing campaign to help fight this?

outrageous! based on what's said in the article, they could test for drug levels if they wanted to, but they don't...
the on-scene description of his behavior by police officers certainly point to impairment....
it's just crazy...
I'm so sorry Kevin - it must be so difficult for your family......or rather, making it that much more difficult....how upsetting...

If you wish to write a letter to the State Attorney, the information is as follows:

NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
Lawson Lamar, State Attorney
415 North Orange Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
(407) 836-2400

The person handling this case was the Assistant State Attorney, Robert Egan.

Thank you for your kind words.

Kevin, it would be a good idea to share this information with the Florida Division of MADD. I feel they would have an interest in this and they have a lot of influence in politics. I'm going to write them a letter and forward the link you provided to the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.madd.org/fl

I just sent this to MADD

Hello, my name is Perry Launius and I live in Flowood, MS. A friend of mine, Kevin Klose and his family in Orlando have a story to share and I feel a terrible injustice has been done to them by the judicial system.

I’m asking you to take a moment to read the article in the Orlando Sentinel I’m providing and if you feel impelled, contact the state’s attorney below. This is the exact type of crime that MADD fights daily. I think you’ll feel the same way after reading the article.

Thank you,
Perry Launius

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...destrian-crash-stcloud20100129,0,641621.story

NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
415 North Orange Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
(407) 836-2400

This is so sad. I did leave a comment on the OS webpage. And I am sending a letter to the State Attorney as well. I am so sorry for this travesty. It saddens me to know you lost your father, but now they are just rubbing salt in your wounds. My deepest sympathy to you, your brother, and your mother, Kevin. :(

There is strength in numbers - I encourage us all to call, write, or email. We can be a force to be reckoned with.

NINTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
415 North Orange Avenue
Orlando, Florida 32801
(407) 836-2400

If anyone finds an email for Robert Egan, please provide it. I can't find a list of email contacts on the Ninth Judaical Court site. I plan to write a letter but it doesn't hurt to shoot a few emails too.

Kevin, that is outrageous! I am so sorry that they're adding insult to injury. That guy deserves to rot in you-know-where. :mad:

It wont let me leave a comment but what an outrage. Kevin my prayers go out to your family this is such a disgrace. My neice was killed by a drunk driver and they deamed her life to be worth $14K. That wont even cover the couseling bills for my SIL and BIL and nephew. The whole system is messed up. I will definately be writing a letter about this.

How horrible! That just makes me sick. It seems like there are several things the state could do to prevent it from happening again to someone else, but they just won't. I'm so sorry you all have to go through all this. :sad2:

Kevin, I am so sorry. It is a tragedy that you lost your father that way, then to add insult to injury, they're letting the offender go scott free. He is out there, perhaps still using, AND still driving. Outrageous!!

Kevin I am so sorry to hear of this failure of justice. This judge should not even be in his seat. How can anyone with any grain of intelligence claim that drugs taken by this driver did not impair him. Again Kevin I am so sorry that your family have to endure this on top of your Dad's death.

Wow. How absolutely ridiculous! This is so infuriating, words can't even begin to describe how I feel about this. :(

Kevin & family, i am so sorry.

While from a legal standpoint, i *sort of* understand where this judge is coming from, from a COMMON SENSE standpoint, this is absolutely ridiculous.

the likelyhood of a known drug abuser, particularly those kinds of narcotics, being completely sober at almost 9pm is pretty much nil, especially if he had all of that stuff in his car. i don't buy it for a second.

:grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!