Arriving Christmas Day Plan

Solfe

Mouseketeer
We are arriving at MCO at 9:40 Christmas day. We have a 1:20 lunch reserved at Chef Mickey's. We have tickets for the first day, so I was thinking of scheduling some fast passes at the Magic Kingdom. But... it's Christmas day. Capacity and all that.

I figured since we are right at the Contemporary for lunch, we could bring the big camera and ride the monorail loop round and round getting photos at each of the resorts on the monorail stops while checking the MK from time to time. See the sights, maybe some shopping. Possibly get into the Magic Kingdom.

Two questions:

When the park closes the gates for capacity, is that decision every revisited? I was wondering if we found the park gates closed for visitors after lunch, we could check back from time to time. I don't expect much, maybe one quick fast pass ride and a stroll on Main Street. I don't want to tell the kiddos something that isn't true. I'd rather say: "Sorry, closed is closed." than "We'll keep checking." Managing expectations, basically.

Second, if we didn't make it into the Magic Kingdom, where is the best place to go to view the fireworks? I was thinking the beach area at the Contemporary, but maybe someone knows a place that is better? I recall doing the beach on my honeymoon, and the fireworks were not eye-popping from the beach, but perfect for the mood at the time. It made a big impression on me. I think it could close out Christmas nicely.

I have a package deal where the price of one day's ticket is so low that it is relatively painless to keep the ticket but not use it. I wouldn't cry if I bought it and then didn't get into a park. My children are all teens, so they get the idea of "closed for capacity". I am thinking of pitching this as "see the resorts, and maybe Magic Kingdom" rather than "Oops! Our day is ruined!"

I find it refreshing that you have a viable plan for the busiest day of the year. While they often reach capacity early, the decision is reevaluated as the day progresses. I personally have noticed that you either have to be there early morning, or again late afternoon, when the families with small children leave.

If you can’t get into the park to see the fireworks, then there a few places around the resorts. I’ve heard the Polynesian beach is a great spot(I’ve never watched from there). Grand Floridian has a few good spots and they pipe in the music as week. You can watch from the marina or down by the boat dock. Now honestly, I would not watch fireworks from inside the park. It will be like a can of sardines. We’ve watch wishes before on Christmas Day and decided never again. I personally avoid MK at all costs on Christmas Day now.

You are not going to be denied entry into the park. MK may reach stage 1 or stage 2 closure in the morning but it will be back to normal before you get there anyway. MK hasn't reached stage 4 (the one where no one gets in) for nearly a decade. And even then it didn't last past early afternoon. Don't worry about it.

What I would worry about is that Chef Mickey's reservation. I'd put you chances of making it at less than 50%. If you're not okay with paying the no-show fee, I recommend cancelling it. Even on a normal day, I don't book an ADR for less than 5 hours after the plane is scheduled to land. There are always so many possible delays, but especially so on Christmas day.

If you make the Chef Mickey's reservation (and you will be cutting it close), would Epcot be an option? It's just a monorail transfer away and handles crowds much better than MK.

I think it would help if we knew you were staying at a MK area resort and taking Disney's Magical Express to get to the Contemporary Resort.
Traffic in and out and around Disney on Christmas day can be crazy (Especially MK area).. If your plane arrives on time (9:40 am ) and you get through the airport to Magical Express and then depart by 10:30---11:30 then I think you might be ok. Remember check in at the resort can take some time also. From my own personal experience late afternoon FP+ and park entrance worked for us,,,onsite guest. (This is however no indicator of how Christmas Day 2018 will be).

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
We are staying at All Star Music, arriving my magical express. I would rather get to the room, eat lunch and then attempt the park. Since we are months away, I would think that we could either go with a different table service meal or just suck it up and go quick service. We need to do Chef Mickey's at some point, but maybe not on Christmas. I do have a reservation already, but with months between now and then, I could change it.

Just as a heads up, I don't know if they still do this but when we were in Disney for New Years Eve (admittedly about 8 years ago now), they were giving resort guests colored wrist bands to prove they belonged at that resort. I don't know if they'll do that Christmas day. We risked it and it turned out fine, and even though resort workers were coming around checking wristbands they seemed to be looking most at those who were being loud, groups of unaccompanied teens, and those without children(we were a large family, with myself, my now husband and his family, his aunts, uncles and cousins and grandmother. My BIL and some cousins were about 8-13 at the time, and I think that's how we got away with it, they seemed to not want to ruin it for children). Either way, its something to consider when making your plans.

We are staying at All Star Music, arriving my magical express. I would rather get to the room, eat lunch and then attempt the park. Since we are months away, I would think that we could either go with a different table service meal or just suck it up and go quick service. We need to do Chef Mickey's at some point, but maybe not on Christmas. I do have a reservation already, but with months between now and then, I could change it.

If MK is your priority, consider making a TS there. I just checked 12/25 and Plaza, Tony's and Skipper's seem to have availability in the late afternoon. Or, I would eat lunch at ASMu and then head to MK. I would not attempt QS in MK. Finding a table will be incredibly difficult.

Last edited:
Anecdotal, but we walked into MK on Christmas Day a 1/2 hour prior to fireworks. No issues at all.

It all worked out perfectly. We landed at 9:30, were at the hotel by 11, they check us in right away and we had lunch at Chef Mickeys. The MK was not as packed as we expected, so we hit a few rides then stayed for the fireworks. Perfect by any standard.

The bonus was that Magical Express was able to get our luggage from the airport to the room without us being around. If we had been dragging luggage around, it wouldn't have worked out.

It all worked out perfectly. We landed at 9:30, were at the hotel by 11, they check us in right away and we had lunch at Chef Mickeys. The MK was not as packed as we expected, so we hit a few rides then stayed for the fireworks. Perfect by any standard.

The bonus was that Magical Express was able to get our luggage from the airport to the room without us being around. If we had been dragging luggage around, it wouldn't have worked out.
Sounds like a magical Christmas!!! Thanks for coming back and sharing your actual experience.

It was amazing. I would never do a trip that covered Christmas to New Years again, it was overwhelming, but one or the other would be perfect. I hope no one figures out how much fun Epcot is on New Year's Eve because the crowds will shift from MK to Epcot. Ok, I'm lying. If you get the chance to go to Epcot on New Year's Eve, do it! Christmas was not a problem for MK, but if we had planned MK on New Year's Eve we would have been out of luck.

One thing we missed the whole trip was getting to rope drop at any park. We were too tired. I'd like to do it sometime, but I wasn't terribly disappointed by missing it this time. Traveling on Christmas day for an 8 day visit over the holidays is super stressful and exhausting. It was just nice to be there for the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter