Are you an UNDERbuyer?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about how some people just don't think to spend money on things that would make their lives easier. The host gave the examples of struggling to come up with outfits until her sister said "you need a pair of flat black boots" It didn't even occur to her but she bought them and wears them 2-3 times a week and it makes putting winter outfits together so much easier. Another example they gave was having extra phone chargers. That was a "ding ding ding" moment for me because I actually pack my charger and bring it to work every day and stress about leaving it at home and then again leaving it at work. It never occurred to me to BUY ONE TO LEAVE AT WORK. I know this must sound crazy to a lot of people but if you are an under buyer or just don't like shopping in general I think our brains just don't go there. I am ordering another charger right now on Amazon (see, I really do hate to shop in stores). Can you think of anything you probably should buy to make your life a little easier or better?

I sure am. I never have the right shoes. And that just one example. I'm always asking my son to bring my charger downstairs. Why don't I just buy another one? I had the same outdated couch 17 years and finally bought a new one. The list goes on and on.

I am one for sure. I don't like spending money if no need to. I haven't bought new clothes in years. I did find a few shirts at a yard sale for a few bucks, but that is about it.

I think there's a fine line between underbuyer and thrifty.... or it could be thriftiness gone bad:rolleyes:

I go a long time between purchases of makeup, but when you run out then it's an emergency:rotfl2:
I could use more than one pair of work shoes. I should purchase a portable device charger for my work laptop....but if I do no excuse for taking a break when I can't move around.

I am one for sure. I don't like spending money if no need to. I haven't bought new clothes in years. I did find a few shirts at a yard sale for a few bucks, but that is about it.
My understanding is that an under buyer doesn't spend even on things they need or would just make life easier in general. Not because they can't afford it but because they, for whatever reason, just dont automatically think to buy. I have more than enough clothes and home decor items but I know I am an under buyer when it comes to gadgets for sure.

I think there's a fine line between underbuyer and thrifty.... or it could be thriftiness gone bad:rolleyes:

I go a long time between purchases of makeup, but when you run out then it's an emergency:rotfl2:
I could use more than one pair of work shoes. I should purchase a portable device charger for my work laptop....but if I do no excuse for taking a break when I can't move around.
This is another example that hits home for me. We have a weekend beach home and I pack my good make-up every time we go which in the summer is every weekend for 3 days! Why don't I just buy duplicates?:scared:

I am not an under buyer at all... just by talking about iPhone chargers I have one in the car, one in my bedroom and one in the downstairs of the house and a charging pack in my purse.

I rarely buy things when I need them except for dresses. If I find a good sale I just get it then. I love stocking up on clothes at the end of season sale. Last summer I got DH lots of shorts, polos, linen shirts, etc for a fraction of the price once summer comes we won't have to buy new things when discounts are not really good. I spend $120 and got DH Ralph Lauren 2 shorts, one white pants, 1 linen shirt, 2 polos and 1 golf shirt if I waited to buy it when I need it $120 would have gotten 1 linen shirt or 2 shorts. Last week I went and stock up on sweaters and shirts for next fall/winter. DH is not good at planning far in advance in fact often he will come and say I neeed ... and I say I bought you that it should be in your closet with tags on.

This is another example that hits home for me. We have a weekend beach home and I pack my good make-up every time we go which in the summer is every weekend for 3 days! Why don't I just buy duplicates?:scared:
Especially because you know you'll use it up eventually. You could always bring the duplicates home at the end of the season.

I tend to go the other way--I'm a bit of a packrat. Not horribly, I'm not a hoarder, you can easily navigate my house, etc. But, for example, I have a bin in the attic of vacation stuff. Nothing exciting, just stuff we'll bring on vacation. I would buy a second (whatever), rather than taking the item out of that bin (sewing kit, nightlight, etc.)

I am an underbuyer, not because I'm really trying to be thrifty but because I HATE HATE HATE to shop!!!! I really need to go out and buy some new pants for work. I've had the money set aside for them for 2 months, but I just haven't made it to the store.

I tend to over buy for my kids but under buy for myself. I rarely will buy myself anything. I also hate to shop though so most of the stuff I get them is online. Only exception is Xmas for some odd reason I love to be out and amongst the crowds puts me in the spirit!

I'm not an underbuyer, because I will buy what I need, but I really need very little. I don't wear makeup, don't dress up much, only wear a few pairs of jeans and leggings most of the time. I don't understand a previous post about going out and stocking up on clothes for the next season, we just wear what we wore last season for the most part. DH is planning to retire and he will never need to buy another sports shirt with buttons and collar. I have been wearing the same winter shell/raincoat for about 10 years and plan to buy a new one this spring. I buy new athletic shoes twice a year because I wear them out.

Yes! That was me when we had a holiday home at the coast I would pack up my make up to take with me - never would have bought a duplicate set to leave there. I am most definitely an under buyer :flower1:

I am an underbuyer, not because I'm really trying to be thrifty but because I HATE HATE HATE to shop!!!! I really need to go out and buy some new pants for work. I've had the money set aside for them for 2 months, but I just haven't made it to the store.
I hate to shop too - I find it stressful. This last Christmas I bought 99% of gifts online it was brilliant!

I'm not an underbuyer, because I will buy what I need, but I really need very little. I don't wear makeup, don't dress up much, only wear a few pairs of jeans and leggings most of the time. I don't understand a previous post about going out and stocking up on clothes for the next season, we just wear what we wore last season for the most part. DH is planning to retire and he will never need to buy another sports shirt with buttons and collar. I have been wearing the same winter shell/raincoat for about 10 years and plan to buy a new one this spring. I buy new athletic shoes twice a year because I wear them out.

DH is specially hard on his clothes pants and shorts won't last more than a few years max so yeah I stock up on stuff. He is also very hard on his shoes. We do wear stuff we already have but we also wear new stuff.

Different strokes for different folks but we donate every season stuff that we are not going to wear anymore. Styles change, clothes gets worn, etc. If I was wearing the same coat I wore 10 years would be the coat I wore in high school which I wouldn't consider acceptable for my first real job let alone now.

Last edited:
I'm not, but DH and I were just talking about this yesterday. We have a lot of friends who have small children but only one carseat, in one car, for that child. They can afford to put a carseat in all of their cars, they just don't. It leads to lots of "Ugh, I took the wrong car and now I have to drive home and switch out cars with DH so he can do childcare pickup today." type situations. We were wondering why they don't just buy another carseat - especially for kids who are in low-back boosters, because those aren't expensive. It would save time, frustration, and gas money.

I just realized today I should stock up on gift bags from the dollar tree instead of scrounging around every time I have a gift to give. Today I literally dumped out some things my son got a while ago so I could use the bag to put another gift in. Seriously they cost $1!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter