Are WDW parks really overflowing with trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this picture sent to me this morning. You be the judge. View attachment 589822
This makes me sad. I was already not planning to return to WDW for a while, based on all the negative discussions on these boards. It's everywhere. These boards used to be my "go to place" for an escape of life's stresses to live vicariously through someone else experiencing the Magic of WDW. Now these boards are just ongoing complaining, bickering and frustration over the lack of a return to normal...and rightly so. Excessive crowds, shortened hours, the lack of FP, AP, shows, parades was by itself enough to turn me away for now. BUT, this picture of the garbage, brings it to a whole new level. This is far beyond the 'lack' of something magical. That is not my happy place. This is wrong. THIS is not Disney!

This makes me sad. I was already not planning to return to WDW for a while, based on all the negative discussions on these boards. It's everywhere. These boards used to be my "go to place" for an escape of life's stresses to live vicariously through someone else experiencing the Magic of WDW. Now these boards are just ongoing complaining, bickering and frustration over the lack of a return to normal...and rightly so. Excessive crowds, shortened hours, the lack of FP, AP, shows, parades was by itself enough to turn me away for now. BUT, this picture of the garbage, brings it to a whole new level. This is far beyond the 'lack' of something magical. That is not my happy place. This is wrong. THIS is not Disney!

Every live stream I have watched recently the parks have been jam packed. I watched 3 hours of live stream walking through epcot yesterday with Cory and it was absolutely insane the crowd levels, he could barely walk in a straight line. As long as Disney is making money they could care less, and they are getting a post covid boost like no one could have imagined.

The pride of ownership and work has degraded over the years to being on par with Knotts and Seaworld. It used to be a feather in one's cap to say they worked at Disney World. They got the best people who took pride in their work, the rest filtered down to the local swim parks and carnivals. No longer. $13.50 average pay, having to drive an hour+ one way to work just to live somewhere where the rent isn't insane, makes for a very lackluster and unenthusiastic workforce. Who could blame them? I would be pissed off too if I was working 10+ hour days in the heat including the drive and at the end of the month I had $200 leftover in my pocket and was one medical/family emergency from declaring bankruptcy.

Why can Costco do this: "Costco to increase its minimum wage to $16 per hour, but CEO says the average pay for hourly workers is $24" But Disney can't? It's as if every last penny of profit needs to go back to the mutual funds and big stockholders every quarter along with compensation for execs.

Last edited:
Inexcusable at WDW for reasons mentioned.

But welcome to the new norm a lot of places. Been really difficult to fill some of those jobs around here it seems/appears.

Last edited:

I've seen situations like this several times now at Disneyland. I've been 7 times since May and the most recent were 5 visits between July 2 and 13. The overflowing trash cans were all seen in July. I even saw them inside women's bathrooms where there was a custodial staff member IN THERE at the time, keeping stalls clean. The trash cans were full of paper towels, though and overflowing. They need more custodial CMs. It's also been a problem at/near QS dining locations.

Haha I've met my match! I've done this in so many ladies rooms where the used paper towels are overflowing out the garbage and people just start throwing them on the floor. Geez. Just give the garbage a good squoosh, there's plenty of room left. Amazingly we both lived to tell the tale :rotfl2:

Ew. No. I saw someone throw a VERY full poopy diaper that wasn't even rolled up RIGHT into the main trash can in the bathroom (not the one next to the changing tables). I'm not putting my hands into a bathroom trash can regardless.

Ew. No. I saw someone throw a VERY full poopy diaper that wasn't even rolled up RIGHT into the main trash can in the bathroom (not the one next to the changing tables). I'm not putting my hands into a bathroom trash can regardless.
I don't mean the worse case scenarios. I mean when you can clearly see that trash can by the exit door is only paper towels people used to dry their hands. And it's all fluffed up and overflowing. I just take my paper towel and squish down on the others. Haven't gotten cut, bit or polio yet lol.

I won't even do it in my own home, let alone in a public restroom. That is just 🤢 Even if it's just paper you can see, you don't know what lurks right below the surface and it's not like they wash those things out. Just nooooo......

This all makes me so very sad!
About 4 years ago while in the MK, we noticed A LOT of trash on the floor going to the ride cars on the Haunted Mansion. I mean it was not just a piece or 2 here and there, it was all the paper and plastic stuff we get with food and drink. It felt like we had to wade our way through dirty trash to get to the ride.
I wrote to customer service when we got back from our 10 day trip, after seeing this every time we rode the HM. They said that the cleaning up of Q's was the HM staff's job and the CM's there should be picking it up. I was surprised at that, as the CM's I saw were pretty busy all the time getting people on and off the ride.
On our next years visit, the HM was once again clean of trash.

We saw a couple overflowing trash cans during our October visit during Food and Wine, but nothing like this! So sad.

The general fall off is related to.the fact that they have been hiring lower caliber employees for a good while now. They were behind the 8 ball on the pay scale and as such, the employees were less qualified/dedicated. It took them so long to announce their 4? Year pay raise that the damage was already done.
it also has to do with them "optimizing staffing". They have as few staff as they can possibly get away with.

One picture doesn’t show that this is a big problem.
But if it is more people need to take pictures and post.
To get an idea of what the park looks like go to YouTube and watch some of the Live videos .. look at the trash cans. I didn’t see any full let alone overflowing

Last edited:
Pictures don't lie and I don't see how you possibly blame this on guests. It's disgusting. My local amusement park does a better job of cleaning than WDW does.

Write down this date.... On a very rare occasion, I am in complete agreement with you cakebaker. That is completely not on the guest, and Disney bears the full responsibility of that one. Hopefully these pictures are getting their way into management because that really is completely unacceptable.

I do not think it's as widespread as some make it out to believe. But widespread or not, I doubt that picture was doctored, and even an occasional can looking like that is not acceptable.

Unfortunately no one can fully control the public. I saw a lady changing a dirty dipper in a restaurant on an empty table. RIGHT ON THE TABLE. And it wasn't ever her table. I told the staff about it because I don't think any of them saw it, so they could at least sanitize the table before sitting a party there. But what is wrong with people???

One picture doesn’t show that this is a big problem.
But if it is more people need to take pictures and post.
To get an idea of what the park looks like go to YouTube and watch some of the Live videos .. look at the trash cans. I didn’t see any full let alone overflowing
I mean, I’m here now and telling you I’ve seen it in lots of places (at the end of the day). But I’ve got better things to do on my vacation then photograph trash cans. If I saw it so did plenty of Disney employees. A lesser problem I’ve witnessed is all the hand sanitizer stations are empty by the evening as well, but I guess Disney doesn’t really care about Covid precautions anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter