Are There Venomous Snakes at WDW?

After seeing a snake go right across a 1st floor/outside patio door at the Beach Club, I no longer request a 1st floor room.

And, yes, there have been many discussions of snakes on the DIS. Especially over on the Resort Boards.

If you're worried because you are or you are thinking about staying at Caribbean Beach then don't worry. I happened to find that thread about the boy that was bitten before my first trip staying at Caribbean Beach. I was so paranoid the whole time we were there after reading that. That being said we were there for 9 days and I did not see a single snake and trust me I was looking for them. :rotfl2: We are now booked at CBR for our next trip because we enjoyed it so much. :goodvibes

Writes one posting and then never comes back? Yes, there are snakes. Will they bother you? Probably not. 24 years and we are still snake free.

I remember the thread about the little boy who was bitten at CBR as well as the pictures of the snake in the curtain valance at CR. I also remember reading about a snake curled up under a bench on the Boardwalk, as well as seeing pics of a black racer traversing the walkway at AK. There are definitely threads about snakes, and they always catch my eye because I HATE SNAKES. Having said that, I have never seen one at Disney, and as a PP said, I am always watching for them!

I have a friend who lives on a lake in Orlando. He has a picture his dad took of him after their annual "clear the boat slip so we can put the boat into dock" day. He is 6'4" tall and is holding a dead water moccasin in each hand, arms straight out to his sides. Yes, there are snakes in Disney!!

Another one to watch out for is coral snakes (black, red, yellow striped). My husband saw one in our driveway and thought it was the neighbor kid's jump rope...until it moved.

I guess they're normally reclusive, but this was one with an attitude. :rotfl: Have never seen one since, but they might be attractive to children because of their coloring.

Whatever you do, DO NOT read the snake thread! How on earth did a snake get on the 4th floor of the CR and slither up the wall onto the valance?? And my question is how long was it there and how many guests stayed in that room not knowing there was a snake and a nest on the valance???? :scared1:

I recall reading a news article about a little girl bitten by a baby rattlesnake while she was running through the grass at CBR. Stay on the paths and you should be fine.

Yes! There are spiders, alligators and bugs. It's Florida. I think Disney does a great job keeping the critters away. Nothing is 100% foolproof. Have common sense and don't go off the paths!

Wow, this is all really scary. I've been to Disney four times in my life so far and I have thankfully never seen a snake. I got really nervous however at the Coronado Springs because our room overlooked a large grass area with a pond and there was no fence or anything. I was very cautious everywhere I went. Can anyone say if they've ever seen a snake at Coronado Springs?

Just wanted to mention that snakes can be aggressive so please be careful. My DD was almost attacked by a water moccasin (not at WDW). Also, I was at the BWV quiet pool and there was a good sized black snake that the CM was trying to catch and it doubled back on him. He went to get back up in the mean time the snake went up to the bushes by one of the room patios. Not long after that the patio opened and a dad and his little girl walked out. Gave me a heart attack. I've been told Black snakes aren't poisonous but they have a very bacteria filled mouth that can cause bad nasty infections and they can be aggressive also. That was the 4th snake I have seen, 2 were really little, one crossing the parking lot at TL which was shockingly large.

If you do see a snake in one of the parks it will probably be one of the ones that Disney uses to to keep the rodent population down. Non poisonous.

Disney uses snakes to keep the rodent population down?...Disney? :worried:

The only place that I have ever seen a snake was in the moat around the Castle. I was looking at the water while I waited for the fireworks to start and to my surprise three snakes went casually swimming by in front of me.

Disney uses snakes to keep the rodent population down?...Disney? :worried:

They use cats in Disneyland. Actually using snakes is a very good idea. Mostly because they are almost always out of sight. We can only hope that one doesn't get confused and munch out on Mickey. :laughing:

There are 6 species of venomous snakes found in Florida - Copperhead, Cottonmouth, E. Diamondback, Timber, and Pygmy Rattlesnake, and the E. Coral. There are roughly 40 species of nonvenomous snakes.

My advice is avoid uncut grass and don't stick your hand in shrubs without inspecting first.

Saw a black snake at CBR in August along the walking path to the Port Royale bus stop.....it was DEAD. :banana: it was there for several days decomposing. I hate snakes! However, I was more concerned about the three 4ft tall birds that followed my DH and I to our car. :scared1: They were pretty and just curious but a little freaky since they were almost as tall as me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter