Are There Venomous Snakes at WDW?

SafeDisney

Earning My Ears
Has anyone seen venomous snakes at WDW? Particularly at the Caribbean Beach Resort? I recall reading about a young boy who was bitten by a water moccasin at CBR. Anyone else seen them at CBR?

Of course there are, there are venomous snakes in every part of North America, so Orlando and WDW would have to be no exception.

BUT since they have groundskeepers, the chances are the numbers are kept down by catching the removing...killing?...them.

Snakes are everywhere in Florida. I have seen snakes a number of times at WDW, however, I cannot say if they were poisonous or not, as I give them their space-- I don't care for snakes at all. You can't swim in any of the lakes on property, so you should have nothing to worry about. They are more scared of you than you are of them.

It is Florida so I'd say YES.

But they don't like people and Disney is crawling with folks so the snakes most likely stay away. Or at least hidden. :rolleyes1

Yes. They do try and relocate them when they come close to "people" areas, but they are around. There was a thread on the resorts brd a couple years ago about a little boy who reached into mulch to pick up a dropped toy and was bitten by a rattler. Pete (brd owner) posted a video a couple years ago. His team was on a boat fishing and there was one swimming on top the water. The boat captain moved the boat and said something like "that could rock your world" <if bitten>.

Don't let it scare you. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

If you do see a snake in one of the parks it will probably be one of the ones that Disney uses to to keep the rodent population down. Non poisonous.

Yes, there are snakes. We saw one at Typhoon Lagoon, on the path toward the snorkeling pool. It avoided us and we avoided it.
The child who was bitten at CBR had reached into some shrubs for a dropped toy. Stay on the paths and watch your step. I wouldn't worry too much.

Okay, tell us the story behind this username and question because I honestly cannot remember this ever coming up on a Disney Board before. Share?

Alligator inquiries a couple of times, but I can't remember a snake question.

And yes, large parts of Disney property in Orlando are cleared swampland so every once in awhile you might spot a native.

Okay, tell us the story behind this username and question because I honestly cannot remember this ever coming up on a Disney Board before. Share?

And yes, large parts of Disney property in Orlando are cleared swampland so every once in awhile you might spot a native.

Actually there have been several 'snake' threads. We have seen a lot of snakes at POP Century. As another poster said stay on the paths and don't reach into the grassy areas.

Considering that WDW is in central Florida and who knows how many millions of people go there each year, I think its down-right miraculous that we can only come up with ONE instance of venomous snake encounter.

Considering that WDW is in central Florida and who knows how many millions of people go there each year, I think its down-right miraculous that we can only come up with ONE instance of venomous snake encounter.

An contraire mon amie. We have only mentioned the most well known venomous snake BITE at WDW. Encounters, meaning seeing venomous snakes like the rattle snake or water moccasin in close proximity to guests, are not rare at all.

WDW is in the middle of a gigantic swamp in the middle of Florida. Snakes are very common. Use common sense. Watch where you are going. Stay on the pavement. Don't reach into bushes. And don't prop open your room door.

Now, somebody post the link to the thread with the snake on the valance in the Contemporary.

In all our yearly visits, I never saw a snake at WDW. We moved to FL in August, a few minutes from from WDW. We've seen a few since we've been here and in September we were boarding the monorail and a worker was wrangling one into a bag on the Epcot monorail ramp!!!

My sister and I saw a snake at Fort Wilderness many years ago.

It transpired into one of our most hysterical memories.

The snake and another animal encountered each other. Can't recall the other animal--maybe a duck? The snake was in a posture and was completely still. My sister and I sat there and were analyzing this amazing animatronic. Nearby was a CM. We watched in aw and then animal gets closer to the snake and we let out a blood curdling spring as the snake snapped back.

And like the traditional sugary speak to CMs of years past--the CM says without hesitation (paraphrased but basically the gist): "We prefer that you not scream so as to not alarm other guests at the Walt Disney World resort." (For the perfect tone--think Dug from Up.)

So my sister and I refer today (jokingly) the animatronic wildlife at Disney. (We were aloof teens at the time thinking Disney was a perfectly controlled environment. :rotfl2:)

To answer OP-yes there are snakes including the possibility of venomous ones. Also gators--there was one that alluded them for quite some time at MK and they had a CM stationed along the boardwalk in Frontierland to help discourage guests from feeding it.

Also armadillos at FW. Those are fun.

Now, somebody post the link to the thread with the snake on the valance in the Contemporary.

I had that pic for the longest time! Had saved it to show DH. He's always insisting (while snickering) that snakes in FL can't climb. Right!

Nah, I distinctly remember a thread about the boy being bitten by a poisonous snake at a resort...

and the thread about the snake allegedly falling into someones lap on Space Mountain LOL...

and the thread about the snake having made a nest above the curtains in a garden wing room at CR...

Nah, I distinctly remember a thread about the boy being bitten by a poisonous snake at a resort...

and the thread about the snake allegedly falling into someones lap on Space Mountain LOL...

and the thread about the snake having made a nest above the curtains in a garden wing room at CR...

Is the one with the boy the one that chronicled his hospital stay as well?

If not that is another.

Soldier's*Sweeties said:

If not that is another.

My memory isn't quite that good LOL.

If not that is another.

That's the same one. He was in the hospital for a couple days. If my memory is correct, they actually managed to fit in a couple more days at WDW after he was discharged.

I saw a youtube video of a snake in the gift shop at one of the hotels. I think it was CBR. It slithered under a display rack and the workers were trying to wrangle it into a bag. Someone taped it and put it on youtube.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter