Are there Disneyland lovers who've tried WDW once/twice and hated it?

I'm gonna show my ignorance a little here, but what is the "bubble" everyone talks about with WDW? I have never been to WDW (obviously, and hence my ignorance) and I'm not sure if it's something I want to try- it seems so daunting! DLR is my home park, and to me has it's own magic.

Coming down the 5 freeway, seeing the Disneyland Dr/ Harbor Blvd exits gets me giddy every time! And seeing those big Disneyland signs every where on Harbor Blvd- so cool! "Did I park by Dumbo or Chip? I don't care! We're at Disneyland!" Riding the trams to the promenade. Or walking through Downtown Disney, almost skipping/running because you can see the ticket booths at the end. To me these things are pretty magical and seem very Disney. Guess I'm just a DLR fan.
When people talk about the bubble in respects to WDW they mean Disney World Resort Property as a whole.

Once you're inside the property is can be very easy to forget the outside world exists. It's private property so while there are streets, traffic signals, even gas station, etc not seeing other businesses around, commuters like you'd see elsewhere, etc makes people feel like you're isolated in a good way.

In terms of WDW and comparing it to Universal Orlando a con to some is that Universal Orlando is very visible to the rest of Orlando rather than isolated like WDW. Even though Universal Orlando also has a 'bubble' of sorts in comparison to WDW most do not consider it the same.

The bubble isn't really important to me, it doesn't bother me that Universal Orlando is in the midst of normal hubbub but it can be a con to others. There are people though who go to Orlando airport, take DME (Disney's Magical Express), and then never leave Disney World Resort Property until they take DME back to the airport thereby staying inside the bubble the whole time.

You can sorta see what people are talking about if you go to Google Maps and then use satellite view.

I've lived in CA my whole life, and in SoCal for several years, 6 of which I had a DLR AP, so DLR will always be home to me. I love it in a way I could never love WDW.

That said, I do love WDW. To me, the things that it has going for it over DLR are Epcot (I adore Epcot), the table service restaurants, and most of all - the resorts. I can't believe how much less we are paying for Yacht Club at WDW than DLH or GC would cost (seriously, half), and yet we are still able to walk to two parks. We've stayed at POR, a moderate, in the past for just about the same price that the Best Western across from DLR would cost. So that part is a little frustrating. DLR just doesn't have the selection of resorts, and DLH and GC are just too high cost for us. However, we also tour DLR very differently - far more hours of the day actually in the parks, partially because of less days, and partially because of much better weather!

I also actually love planning, so the insanity of booking dining 6 months in advance and FP+ 2 months out actually kind of appeals to me. BUT, I love the fact that we can be much more spontaneous at DLR.

All in all...it's Disneyland. WDW can't replace it for me. That said, I highly recommend that every DLR vet visits it at least once. It's a totally different experience, but absolutely one worth having.

I feel like we're in the bubble at DLR even though we're staying somewhere on Harbor. Everything form the bussinesses to the people are there for and because of Disney. The street and grounds are even decorated Disney.

In regards to WDW, EPCOT almost pushes it over for us but there's just too much traveling between parks and walking when your in the parks for us. It's also about twice the price of traveling to DLR and that makes it compare with destinations we'd rather vacation at (like Hawaii).

My daughter just says, "nope, I don't want to go, I think we'd hate it.") And part of me thinks she might be right.

Travelling is about opening your mind to new things. Doesn't matter where you travel, if you go in thinking 'I will not like this', it is harder to enjoy that what is good and see the beauty in new things. It is a lot easier to point out the negatives and in the end say 'I told you so'.

I think you have to distinguish two things:
- Are you a DISNEY fan? If yes, go see other parks.
- Are you a DISNEYLAND fan? If yes, skip WDW and go to Europe. The only thing is, you cannot tell for sure till you have tried it with an open mind ;)

Since we started taking family trips 12 years ago, we have spent 40 days in WDW parks, and 27 days in DL parks (4 trips to WDW, 5 to DL). We LOVED WDW 2007-2010. We had the touring down, liked the FP system, went at low crowd times. I really didn't think anything could top it. We live in CO, so closer to DL. I grew up going to DL, so I knew that park was more nostalgic for me- but it had been 20+ years since I had been. We decided to try DL instead of WDW one year, and honestly haven't looked back. We did take one trip to WDW in 2016, which was after FP+ and the tiered system and while we still had a good time- I missed the smaller feel of the DL parks. I missed having access to all rides and attractions on any given day. Even though DL is more crowded than our times at WDW, it just felt more manageable. I realized how much time we spent just traveling at WDW- between parks, from parks to some restaurants in the resorts, from our resort to the parks. So much time is lost traveling. That is part of the experience and I know we could choose to just stay in one park morning to night and eat all our meals there, but we have always enjoyed the variety of restaurants all over the property. We usually took an afternoon break since my youngest kids were still really young. Everything revolves around the FP+ reservations that were made 60 days prior, and the restaurant reservations made 180 days in advance. Our 2017 and 2018 trips to DL had Maxpass available and that really changed everything. It is SO convenient and SO easy and SO spur of the moment and relaxed. There are things I miss about WDW, like Epcot, but everything else I really get at DL. We are considering whether we want to go to WDW next and honestly even as seasoned as I am with these parks it just feels so hard and so much work. It feels like everything changes so fast. And I know I can just jump in and do all of that- I just don't know if I want to. So I don't know that we will go back.

All of that being said-
I do think the restaurant selection at WDW is superior overall. But DL has plenty of fun places to eat. I do like the on property hotels at WDW. We have stayed on and off property at DL but with our family of 6 we really need to stay off property with as often as we go. And none of those hotels on Harbor can compare to any WDW property- including the values. There are a few attractions from WDW that I miss at DL- but one of those has always been Mickey's Philharmagic! So excited that is coming to DL! Anyway- DL has taken the top spot for us. That doesn't mean that it is better or worse than WDW, but for our family it is definitely easier! I do miss the option of a 6 day ticket at DL though :(

There are people though who go to Orlando airport, take DME (Disney's Magical Express), and then never leave Disney World Resort Property until they take DME back to the airport thereby staying inside the bubble the whole time.

When we went in 2008 that is what we did. We had 6 days and never left the resort. When we go next year we will be going to Universal and at least half our trip will be off property. I don't think that makes our trip less magical. But that's me.

When we went in 2008 that is what we did. We had 6 days and never left the resort. When we go next year we will be going to Universal and at least half our trip will be off property. I don't think that makes our trip less magical. But that's me.
I don't think it will make it less magical either but I know for other people it does.

Plus when you go to Universal you've got a different sort of magic awaiting you :D

I feel like we're in the bubble at DLR even though we're staying somewhere on Harbor. Everything form the bussinesses to the people are there for and because of Disney. The street and grounds are even decorated Disney.

In regards to WDW, EPCOT almost pushes it over for us but there's just too much traveling between parks and walking when your in the parks for us. It's also about twice the price of traveling to DLR and that makes it compare with destinations we'd rather vacation at (like Hawaii).

Yeah, DLR is also far cheaper for us, too, especially since we can drive! That alone saves a TON! The thing that kills me at DLR is the per day cost, since our trips there are always less days.

YES!! AGREE TOTALLY !!

I have so much love for the Matterhorn that it genuinely saddens me when I read people hating on it!

There are a few attractions from WDW that I miss at DL- but one of those has always been Mickey's Philharmagic! So excited that is coming to DL! Anyway- DL has taken the top spot for us. That doesn't mean that it is better or worse than WDW, but for our family it is definitely easier! I do miss the option of a 6 day ticket at DL though :(

YES! Philharmagic!!! I was so excited to hear it's coming to DLR! I'm a 90s kid, so those movies are my childhood!

I went to Wdw and didn’t hate it. :)

I hated all Disney during my 20s. Evil corporation etc etc etc. then I went to Disneyland for one day in my 30s and decided it was fun. A year later spent a other day. Still fun. A year later stayed a week. Went back in three months. And again and again and again.

Decided we should think about Orlando. In anticipation made the crazy decision to buy DVC since we were happy to stay offsite at DL if we couldn’t get a nice deal at PPH, but would want ONsite in Orlando. Did so.

I will admit that I have not used the current FP+. I think the last time I was at a park and they had a form of FP+ was the day Seattle won the SuperBowl. The times I’ve been since we’re no-park visits when my cousin and I are there for Princess.

And some of the changes peeve me, but I’m sure it’ll be ok when I go inside a WDW park again.

Expedition Everest is probably my fave ride there.

But I’ve had the odd experience of tending to go when it’s cold. Our first orland trip was December 2010. One of our days over at universal saw us riding Hippogriff 14 times in a row at 7am when it was 25ish degrees. COLD. And that was not my only freezing trip.

like Fantasyland pictures look so cheesy to me, like a carnival somewhere!

It doesn’t look like that in person. It’s quite pretty. Don’t be afraid.

. One of the biggest differences for me is the lack of New Orleans Square, which is my favorite area in DLR.

Yes it’s not there.

But then the nearby Great Rapunzel Bathroom Ride is not at Disneyland. :)

I started leaning in to the “where the heck AM I?” feeling you get. It’s dizzying. Pretend it’s a tiltawhirl and decide it’s fun.

We tend to skip over a lot of MK because it is similar to DL and I am fairly convinced that if we gave it a really good try instead of skipping bunches of it, that we would like it more than we do now.

Yes you should do the rides.

Would you tell an east coaster to skip a bunch of rides at Disneyland because it’s similar? No. Of course not. So don't skip rides.

It’s worth it to see the rides, even if you don’t end up loving them. At least you’ll know.

Is California weather really that much better to outweigh what feels like downgrades in our experience?

Yes CA weather is more tolerable in general.

Do bring a jacket for evening. Once the sun goes down even on a hot day it gets chilly.

Once again, DLR is acting like they only care about locals, not people who come from thousands of miles away and can't change their plans or come back again if SWGE is at capacity.

I truly truly deeply do not understand this feeling.

I talk to people in line. All lines. I chat. I’m the weirdest shy introvert I know, because I will talk the rear offa strangers in lines.

And apart from the two times I’ve purposely been at Disneyland WITH locals, not including my transplant brother and sis in law, I have literally never, not once, met a fellow guest who was local.

Now there might be a little of what could be called confirmation bias there, because if I hear a New Zealand accent in front of me and someone saying “like”, like, every three words behind me, I’ll likely chat with the NZ person. But then, everyone says “like” now. Ya know? The world has a California accent. So maybe those people I didn’t talk to are local and maybe they aren’t. I don’t know.

SWGE is so vital, essential, and pivotal to our next Disney trip, no matter which park we choose, that I really need a system in place where I know we will get to visit SWGE.

I would not, in a million years, go THIS year, then. To either place. Wait. Let it settle. Let other people be their guinea pigs. Let them all work out their systems. Go later. Not this year.

And you can see outside the park on some of the higher up places in the park. WDW is 100% truly immersive for me. We are in that Disney bubble for the entire week and we never step a foot outside of the Disney property and I love that! I want to be completely lost in Disney on our trip, even when we leave the park at night. You can travel to all 4 parks, the water parks, Disney Springs and countless resorts and never leave the Disney bubble. And you just can’t get that at DL on the same level. You are always just a few steps from the “real world.”

Sounds like a nightmare to me. If I can’t get my sweet tomatoes I might as well not even be in Orlando. And going for my gardein veggie buffalo wings at YardHouse is a necessity, and more pleasant than driving to Seattle for them. And you can see the Orlando Eye, which coincidentally is right near YardHouse, from higher floors at Wdw.

Radiator Springs Racers FPs fly; they’re frequently gone by 11am these days.

But that’s not anything new. Not max pass’s fault.

We planned 11 park days, but only made it 10 because again, we were just so tired. We nearly saw everything.

I once spent 18 total days at Disneyland one year and didn’t come close to doing everything.

You cannot do everything at WDW in 10 days. Don’t try.

Like the travel guy on PBS, Rick Steves, says...”don’t try to do it all. Expect you’ll be back.”

I did wish DLR had the magic bands though for their convenience.

Shudder. Bands do nothing cards didn’t and don’t do. And bands aren’t sweat bombs.

The other really weird thing to me is how small the castle is. It’s super cute but just not the same when you are used to that view when you first come onto Main St at WDW.

Hey, so, you know it’s a different castles right? Different royal family.

You wouldn’t go to England and expect to see Neuschwanstein castle, right? Of course not. That’s in Germany. You wouldn’t go to France and expect to see Buckingham palace. Different family. Different areas of fairy tale world.

Magic Kingdom has Cinderella’s castle.
Disneyland has Aurora’s castle.

(Or their husbands’ castles. Or their fathers’? I doubt if women in fairy tales back then had property rights, so...)

Matterhorn is what you use to set your compass by at DL.

The ride had a huge refurb a few years ago, but that actually made it worse not better as far as bumpiness and uncomfortableness goes.

Correct. And from what a CM working Matterhorn told me, it was on purpose to make it feel more like a bobsled.

And it wasn’t that huge. 6 months.

“January 9, 2012: The Matterhorn closes for a 6-month refurbishment which would include a new outside fixture of the mountain and new trains with different restraints.”

A few months in 2015 for the projection. And 3.5 months last year for a new queue.

Nothing compared to the 2+ year refurb for Space Mountain in the early 2000s.

I think it would be great to dine at Cinderella castle in WDW though, just expensive and a hard reservation.

It’s ok. Still doesn’t really feel like you’re in the castle, IMO.

It seemed like EVERYTHING at MK had a FP for it.

Yes. That’s what happened when they moved to FP+. So silly.

Getting places takes forever. Especially to Magic Kingdom. The distance might not be that far, but the free transportation just seemed to take a long time. Good thing we didn't park hop.

Hopping is actually the easiest part. You go from one resort to the other. No stops. Not like with parks to resorts or vice versa with multiple little stops like at old key west.

I tend to have a car, though.

Don't understand what the big deal is about Disney Springs.

Neither do I, but then I hated it when it was called Downtown Disney. Give ya a guess how I feel about the Anaheim mall still called Downtown Disney. ;)

I do not like malls.

From the moment you get off your plane until you get back on, you're surrounded in Disney Magic. Truly an escape.

If it were like that maybe I’d get into it. But until the transporter beam is invented and they work out how not to splinch people (forgive my Trek Potter mashup there), you must still traverse a freeway.

And as the daughter of a retired greyhound driver, I’ll just drive myself, thank you. Most of the time.

The Matterhorn is the first tubular steel coaster that was ever built and inspired by one of Walt's trips to Switzerland. It's my favorite Disney ride, period. I'm sorry for you that you don't appreciate it.

It’s painful, Lizzy. Like it physically hurts. And it got so much worse with the new (ha! 2012!) seats.

I am short. I should not have even touched part of the ride with my knee and yet I had a bruise that lasted three months from the new ride vehicles on Matterhorn.

It’s a terrific idea of a ride and it’s fun for my brain and the exhilaration. But it hurts. I’m hurting just thinking about it.

My son, who rode the new version when he would have been 8, says it hurts. We tried again at some point in maybe 2016ish. He still says it hurts.

Never done WDW as an adult, but the weather, and lesser attractions (I miss Tower of Terror), however just make it a lesser venue for me.

I don’t understand the attraction comment.

WDW has TOT.
DL doesn’t anymore. They have a thing that goes up and down, but they kicked out the ghosts and now there’s a raccoon yelling at you the whole time.

(Not a fan of marvel. Was a massive fan of bug’s land. Harrumph)

I think if they updated and made it more smooth it would be so much better.

I think that’s literally the opposite of what they want for Matterhorn.

The Space Mountain at WDW isn’t much better in my opinion although it’s my son’s favorite ride - go figure!

Correct. When I tell people what to expect, I say that MK Space feels like Matterhorn, and the only thing it has in common with DL Space is the general theme and name.

I'm going back to DL this year for the first time in about 20 years. ......

For example, a Platinum pass with waterparks for WDW - $994
For DL minus waterparks - $1399 for AP, or $395 for 5 day PH

Those horrific AP prices are so new imo. They’ve lost their minds at both parks.

But wait. Do you actually need the highest level of pass???

DL - $48 on the DL express

The two cannot be compared. Please don’t compare them. All they have in common is that they are coach buses and go to Disney.

My Disney experience! Some people think this is a con, but I love it. It always works for me and there is no extra cost for it like there is for maxpass.

MDE is the “my account” area of a website that they made an app for. Yes you make your FP+ reservations through it, but it is not FP+.

magic bands! I suppose pro or con depends on the person but I love magic bands. I pay for everything on my magic band and then just pay it off before I leave. It's so handy for me, especially being a Canadian and preferring to do one credit card transaction instead of a whole bunch.

And you could do that with the cards. You can do that at Disneyland if staying onsite, too, with your keycards.

Charging to the room is nothing new and doesn’t require a plastic bracelet.

For WDW they recommend allowing 90 mins for travel between destinations when using their transportation.

Yep!

I did like they sent entertainment to the bus location when it took so long for the bus.

They sent entertainment??

Personally, I don't feel it either at WDW or DL.

Same!

If I feel a bubble anywhere it’s at universal. It feels so immersive to me. But I still go offsite. I even felt it at USH last year while staying the night at the Hilton. And that requires walking on a street!

It's private property so while there are streets, traffic signals, even gas station, etc not seeing other businesses around, commuters like you'd see elsewhere, etc makes people feel like you're isolated in a good way.

Doesn’t work on me. All I see are gas stations fire houses pet boarding places, and if I’m on the road in a car I’m heading off to sweet tomatoes or Trader Joe’s lol.

This I think is a big, if not one of the biggest differences between DLR regulars vs. WDW regulars. As a result, it’s also the hardest thing for the other to truly understand. It’s like politics or religion. We’re passionate and for ourselves and our opinions, completely correct on what we believe for us. I hope however that no one here truly thinks they can convert someone’s opposing view into their own. Lol

In the end, the Resort model is what’s lost on me and I suspect many other DLR regulars. The first time I went to WDW, it was onsite and while everything was branded Disney, to me it was still just a hotel. Riding a Disney bus to get to the park entrance was still just a bus ride. The real magic for me is in the parks themselves. Where I sleep and whether I’m on resort property or not is inconsequential to me. The real magic starts the moment I walk under the train tracks and see Main Street. The Berm is the magical border for me.

When I travel on non-Disney trips, I also do not need an all inclusive, resort style experience. As a matter of fact, the couple times I’ve tried resorts (Hawaii and The Dominican Republic especially), they’ve felt restrictive and artificial. I like eating what and where the locals eat. Seeing the sights I’m most interested in, and on my own schedule. Most importantly, I enjoy straying away from the bubble when I can, so I can see things clearly for myself.

Those horrific AP prices are so new imo. They’ve lost their minds at both parks.

But wait. Do you actually need the highest level of pass???

The two cannot be compared. Please don’t compare them. All they have in common is that they are coach buses and go to Disney.

MDE is the “my account” area of a website that they made an app for. Yes you make your FP+ reservations through it, but it is not FP+.

And you could do that with the cards. You can do that at Disneyland if staying onsite, too, with your keycards.

Charging to the room is nothing new and doesn’t require a plastic bracelet.

I’m Canadian, platinum passes are all I’m able to buy. Not sure if all Americans have access to other levels of annual pass or not. At WDW I have the choice of with or without water parks - I choose with for the extra $100 ish.

As for transport, I was comparing simply for cost of transport to and from the airport to your onsite hotel. I’m just going to take an Uber from LAX, but I was looking at the cheapest option to be fair.

I know MDE isn’t a FastPass? Neither is MaxPass? Both enable you to book FastPasses through your phone? I’m confused as to where you’re going here :confused: what I meant was a lot of people have had issues with MDE and it freezing up, I’ve never had that problem. I use it to book multiple FastPasses durring my WDW trips after I’ve used my pre booked 3 FPs

I’m happy I can do it with the cards at DL, I did that once at WDW, have to say I prefer the bands. Easy not to lose or forget. To each their own though I suppose :-)

I’m Canadian, platinum passes are all I’m able to buy. Not sure if all Americans have access to other levels of annual pass or not. At WDW I have the choice of with or without water parks - I choose with for the extra $100 ish.
At Disneyland, you can get any of the annual passes from Deluxe and up. You do not have to purchase the highest level.

Oh and Matterhorn has to be one of the worst rides I’ve ever been on. It was like a horrible carnival ride. I know it’s a staple and people are nostalgic for it but I would love to see it replaced.

The Matterhorn is the first tubular steel coaster that was ever built and inspired by one of Walt's trips to Switzerland. It's my favorite Disney ride, period. I'm sorry for you that you don't appreciate it.

I also love the Matterhorn. If they ever took it away I would be devastated! It is painful though..I've learned over the years how to sit on it so it doesn't kink my back or neck. My aunt who occasionally comes with me refuses to do it now because of how jerky it is..and she used to love it when she was a kid.

Doesn’t work on me. All I see are gas stations fire houses pet boarding places, and if I’m on the road in a car I’m heading off to sweet tomatoes or Trader Joe’s lol.
lol yeah it didn't work fully on us either. Being at the All-Stars you have a McDonald's right there too lol.

But for some people they swear by it so just different feelings for different people :)

About the Matterhorn...…. it is always so exciting to see the Matterhorn from a distance outside of DLR. And then inside the park you can always look up to it!! Iconic!! And yes, as previously mentioned, it is meant to feel like a bobsled !!! it is NOT supposed to be a smooth rollercoaster! That's what I always loved about the Matterhorn....riding on a bobsled !!!

The thing with Matterhorn is it is old. The ride had a huge refurb a few years ago, but that actually made it worse not better as far as bumpiness and uncomfortableness goes. It is a cool ride though with the two tracks winding around each other as they go down the mountain. And of course it does have great history.

So interesting! We rode it in February, party of 10 ages 6 through 78, and we all loved that ride most!

I don't hate WDW but definitely prefer Disneyland! We grew up making trips to WDW but my family later moved to Orange County and learned Disneyland is much more our style. So much less overwhelming, better weather, and just a more classic feel. I started planning a trip for my husband and I and the kids thinking we'd do WDW but have scrapped all that and we'll do Disneyland instead. It's just more "us". The planning required for WDW was throwing my anxiety into overdrive and it just all felt so HUGE. Give me 2 solid park days then take me to the beach. ;)

Yes you should do the rides.

Would you tell an east coaster to skip a bunch of rides at Disneyland because it’s similar? No. Of course not. So don't skip rides.

It’s worth it to see the rides, even if you don’t end up loving them. At least you’ll know.

I never said we did not do the rides, how silly to even suggest that.

What I said was that we tend to skip over parts of it and when it comes down to time management, I am certainly going to prioritize attractions and entire parks that I can't see in CA.

On our last trip we had 7 day tickets along with one evening at MNSSHP. So, we essentially had 7.5 days to spend at parks. Now, the 0.5 day (MNSSHP) was going to be spent at MK so that left 7 days to split between 4 parks. Of course we are going to try and divide those days as equally as possible so that meant 2 full days at AK, 2 full days at Epcot, 1 full day (plus MNSSHP) at MK and 1 full day plus as much time on our last day as we wanted at HS. This allowed us to spend the most time at the 2 more unique parks (AK and Epcot) and less time at the 2 parks that are the most like DL/DCA.

Would I tell an east coaster to skip a bunch of rides at Disneyland because it's similar? No, of course not but I sure as heck would tell an east coaster to prioritize attractions that are unique to the west coast parks. Only have 1 day for each park? Skip TSMM, Dumbo, Little Mermaid, Soarin', Star Tours.

FWIW, there are attractions at WDW that are in my opinion much better than at DL and some where the opposite is true. I could 100% skip the WDW version of PotC but would pick that version of JC any day!

we always ore reserve the 3 fast passes at WDW, and it works out fine. You can not spend 12 hours at a park 7 days in a row. 3 of 4 hours and back to the pool, or the Epcot beer walk is the way the way to go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter