Are there any 'bad' rooms at AKL?

Ellie Webbs

DIS Veteran
We have booked for next April 2 weeks at AKL. We haven't paid for a Savannah view or club level etc, just bog standard room. So are there any 'bad' rooms? At OKW a few years ago our veranda was next to a house air conditioning unit which was so loud we didn't use it (now I would have asked to move but I had very low confidence levels at the time)
My mum is also semi wheelchair bound and I really think she should book an accessible room but she's worried that they will be near lots of noise...
I'm sure we will have a great stay regardless but any tips or experiences would be gratefully received!!! We don't expect something for nothing but wondering which parts of the resort offer the best views etc even without upgrading...

If you check out Touring Plans and look at the views each that they have you will discover that they have a few rooms with a less than good view but remember they do their best to use every other room first. When we went to AKL last June I had booked standard only (2 rooms for 12 days is expensive) and I just requested any kind of a view. They put us above one of the "people pens" but other than that it was a spectacular savanna view. One afternoon after a rain we watched a young giraffe play tag with its mother for about 15 minutes.

If you check out Touring Plans and look at the views each that they have you will discover that they have a few rooms with a less than good view but remember they do their best to use every other room first. When we went to AKL last June I had booked standard only (2 rooms for 12 days is expensive) and I just requested any kind of a view. They put us above one of the "people pens" but other than that it was a spectacular savanna view. One afternoon after a rain we watched a young giraffe play tag with its mother for about 15 minutes.
That sounds amazing!

Can someone provide a link to the views on Touring Plans? I can never seem to get anything to come up when I search for room views of AKL for some reason. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong spot? 🤷‍♀️

Correct once you set your "Filter" preferences, then click on any of the "White building" outlines. You will get a new map of that section of the resort with little blocks showing each room, and in the upper right it will show a "floor" setting to allow you to look at each floor.

Note: The views are not always 100% correct, and the room details may not be correct for a specific room but it is still a great way to check out the resort!

Dave

There are a handful of standard rooms that overlook the parking lot, just an FYI. We were assigned one of these rooms and I politely asked if there was any other room available. We got switched to a room with a savannah view. Not sure if that's because we had just gotten engaged or if that's "typical magic."

There are a handful of standard rooms that overlook the parking lot, just an FYI. We were assigned one of these rooms and I politely asked if there was any other room available. We got switched to a room with a savannah view. Not sure if that's because we had just gotten engaged or if that's "typical magic."
I may give that a go on the off chance. You never know!

Several years ago, 2008, we were given room 4007. It was a "standard" room with a view of the front of the resort. As "views" go, this wasn't great but the room was an accessible one and was right next to the lobby. We enjoyed it even if we didn't have a view of the Savannah. We had no issue with noise and I'm usually a light sleeper.AKL_view_room_4007.jpg

I don’t know about any bad rooms per say. But if it gives you any hope, we got a pen dvc villa with a standard room booking. The front desk asked if it was our first time there. They were nice and gave our kids some things.

Some of the AKL rooms are a really long walk from the lobby, so that might be a consideration.

The worst thing about staying at AKL is the long walks back to your room after a long day in the parks !!!!! but its still great if you have a Savannah view room

If your mother is in a wheelchair most of the time, you may want the accessible room. They are a bit small and getting around the room in a wheelchair may be tight.

If your mother is in a wheelchair most of the time, you may want the accessible room. They are a bit small and getting around the room in a wheelchair may be tight.
I've suggested this but she's worried that the accessible rooms will be noisy...

Is it honestly that far?
Not as far as it is at BWV. Kidani does have a bit of a walk, but there are elevators along the corridors that take you down to the parking lot below the building.

Why is your mother worried about noise in the accessible rooms? What's giving her that idea?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter