Are naps a must??

njmom08

Mouseketeer
DH and I will be at POP in May with DS(4) and DD(18 months). We are planning on starting out the days early and I am thinking we will need to take a break mid day and let the kids rest. Although I hate the idea of leaving the parks, I think for the kids ( and for our fellow diners) a nap would be helpful. I am just wondering if a lot of people find themselves leaving for a break and returning later.

By day 3, I needed a nap and I am 45. I know some just let their kids sleep in the stroller, it is up to you. It can get pretty warm in the afternoon, so going back at 1:30-5:00 isn't real bad. Take a nap, swim and then eat and go back to the park for the evening. Just find out the park times, sometimes the Animal Kingdom closes at 5:00, 6:00, then it isn't worth it.

I am going to move you to the Family Board, hopefully you will get more input.

OhMari

I am not sure yet which route we will take in June/July. Our DS 2.5 doesn't count naps as part of his "plans". So we may play it by ear, somedays back for a swim and down time (hopefully a nap), other days we may see if he takes a sleep in the stroller, as he does in the carseat. I have heard from a lot of people and read many posts with each scenario, they all seem to work out, it's just one of those go with the flow things, taking the cues from the little one.

We'll be at WDW in early May and we plan to go back to the room to take a break/nap each day since DD has never stroller-napped, not even as an infant. Not sure what DD3 will think of this, but I know from experience that if she doesn't get some sort of rest, she'll be cranky and nearly impossible to deal with. Not only do I not want to subject my fellow vacationers to her grouchiness, but I don't really want to have to deal with it too much on vacation, so we'll sacrifice time in the parks to make sure she's well-rested and happy. We'll go back to the parks after dinner and stay until DD's had enough. DH and I have been to WDW before but DD hasn't, so this trip is really all about her.

Last July we were at the parks early, and headed back to the room for lunch and a nap for DS. It was the best thing we did.

We really enjoyed our dinners, and night touring. I saw many younsters who looked like they hadn't napped, and were NOT having any fun. I think everyone can benefit from a rest in the room, and then enjoy the night of rides, a parade, fireworks, etc.

We decided to do naps on our trip in Dec. with DD (then 2.5) and after the first day, we ditched them. By the time we got back to the room, she had fallen asleep on the bus/monorail and was wide awake once we hit the door. She slept in her stroller and DH and I traded off riding the bigger rides while she slept. Best to kind of judge how they are doing and let them set the pace...DD has taught me that no matter how well I plan, SHE is the one calling the shots, at least when it comes to naps! :lmao:

I totally agree with everyone who says to let your DD set the pace. My DD is not a stroller napper, and I feel like it would be cruel to ask her to not nap while on vacation and still be in a good mood when she wouldn't have to do that at home. If you go back for naps, maybe you and DH can switch off doing fun things with DS and have some special alone-time. Have a great trip! :thumbsup2

When we go to DW we go back to the hotel almost every day for a break and a trip to the pool. I have never been able to bring my children (now they are 7, 5 and 3) back to the hotel and get them to go to sleep. After the swim in the pool, we usually have an early dinner, and when they were very young they would fall asleep in my stroller (for two trips we had two umbrella type strollers). We have stayed at the Poly in recent years, so since we would be usually at Epcot or the MK for the evening we would just get on the monorail, push them back to the room and get them into bed.

It really depends on a few things; you're child (and you know them better than any of us on the boards do), weather can be a factor(just like you, they're affected by the heat and that can wear them out) and activity level(at home do they always take nap? or can the go with the flow).

My youngest daughter is 2.5 and sometimes she can last the day without a nap and sometimes she can't. We're not planning on leaving the parks for a mid day break; it's just to much wasted time for us, besides there are 5 of us in total and 4 out of the 5 don't need naps to function. Does that mean that we won't allow our baby to take a needed nap? No, that's why we bring our stroller from home. They're much more comfortable than the ones they rent out in the park; we can recline the seat and she can lay back and take as much of a nap as she likes.

T.

The last time we went our boys were 3 and 18 months. Our 3 year old never napped, but our 18 month old would fall asleep in the stroller or on the bus by the time we'd get back to the hotel he'd wide awake and ready for his next adventure!

Let your children be your guide. We don't return everyday, it depends on what else we have planned and how early we get going (usually it is not very early).

My dd (just 2) will nap in the stroller but I try to get her back to the hotel for a proper sleep every couple of days at least. Makes for much happier and calmer children and grown ups!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter