Are Gold Pass perks available when going during blackout dates?

Ouch looks like Easter 2009 was bad. DH is upgrading the gold AP to the PAP. the rest of us expect to use the 10 day no expire.

We aren't staying off site this April....

Last edited:
Ouch looks like Easter 2009 was bad. DH is upgrading the gold AP to the PAP. We expect to use the 10 day no expire.

We aren't staying on site this April....
If a park reaches phase 4 closing, no one gets in at all.

IIRC, the MK didn't reach phase 4 this past holiday season. MK is typically the only park that will reach any of the closure phases. The others (Epcot, DHS & DAK) might reach parking capacity, but the actual park usually doesn't.

If a park reaches phase 4 closing, no one gets in at all.

IIRC, the MK didn't reach phase 4 this past holiday season. MK is typically the only park that will reach any of the closure phases. The others (Epcot, DHS & DAK) might reach parking capacity, but the actual park usually doesn't.

Hmm What happens to those with ADRs as to being penalized for no-shows? Are you saving you know 100% that's the policy?

Per touring plans - and I've seen these dates elsewhere too:

"Phase 2 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:

• Those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day.
  • Those "hopping" from another park.
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
  • Hollywood Studios: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
  • Animal Kingdom: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Phase 3 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:

• Those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.
Phase 4 Closure
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 10 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009."

Thanks for posting this!! We were there during that March 2010 spring break when the MK reached the Phase 3 closure. It was CRAZY. We went to MK that morning & by 10:30-11:00 we couldn't wait to get out. We rode the train back up to the front exit because walking thru the crowd was so difficult. Then we saw the closure signs up out front on our way out. I think that might have been the year that they did the "Give A Day Get a Day" volunteer promotion (if it wasn't that year then it was in 2010 'cuz those are the only 2 times we went over spring break). We did a volunteer project the year they did that and since we already had APs were able to get like 3 extra fast passes per day for like 5 days or something. They REALLLLLLY came in handy that week whenever that was.

I did not realize that there were different levels or phases of closures or that with APs or by staying onsite or if we had ADRs that during most instances except for phase 4 we could still get in!! GOOD TO KNOW!! I just thought closed meant closed. But really glad after looking at these dates that we have planned July 3rd at MK and July 4th at EP since July 4th 2014 hit a phase 2 and July 4th 2013 hit a phase 3. YIKES!! Remind me again what are we doing going that week?! :eek:

I planned to spend all day both the 3rd and the 4th without park hopping because I assumed we'd need to get there early and STAY there all day....glad to know we shouldn't have to do rope drop!!

Last edited:
KAT4Disney - thanks for that post!

since we will be both onsite & are APH (well one in party isn't) I should be able to realistically drop the ADRs @ MK for July 3/4th

I'm keeping our ADRs for that week because I don't want to deal with the lines and table hawking at the counter service restauants. AND I want a good hour of AC here & there!! :rotfl:

Thanks for posting this!! We were there during that March 2010 spring break when the MK reached the Phase 3 closure. It was CRAZY. We went to MK that morning & by 10:30-11:00 we couldn't wait to get out. We rode the train back up to the front exit because walking thru the crowd was so difficult. Then we saw the closure signs up out front on our way out. I think that might have been the year that they did the "Give A Day Get a Day" volunteer promotion (if it wasn't that year then it was in 2010 'cuz those are the only 2 times we went over spring break). We did a volunteer project the year they did that and since we already had APs were able to get like 3 extra fast passes per day for like 5 days or something. They REALLLLLLY came in handy that week whenever that was.

I did not realize that there were different levels or phases of closures or that with APs or by staying onsite or if we had ADRs that during most instances except for phase 4 we could still get in!! GOOD TO KNOW!! I just thought closed meant closed. But really glad after looking at these dates that we have planned July 3rd at MK and July 4th at EP since July 4th 2014 hit a phase 2 and July 4th 2013 hit a phase 3. YIKES!! Remind me again what are we doing going that week?! :eek:

I planned to spend all day both the 3rd and the 4th without park hopping because I assumed we'd need to get there early and STAY there all day....glad to know we shouldn't have to do rope drop!!

Initially had thought to hit MK early on 7/3, return to resort to rest our 6 y.o. GD, then head back in afternoon for dinner ADR

Now, thinking best to just arrive around noon or so & hope she lasts the rest of the day

Maybe if leave the stroller out of the equation, I cannot imagine what a mess that will be to retrieve.

Initially had thought to hit MK early on 7/3, return to resort to rest our 6 y.o. GD, then head back in afternoon for dinner ADR

Now, thinking best to just arrive around noon or so & hope she lasts the rest of the day

Maybe if leave the stroller out of the equation, I cannot imagine what a mess that will be to retrieve.

I think we'll probably just plan to arrive in time for our lunch ADR at the Plaza on the 3rd. We can plan our FPs for between say 1:00 and 5:00 then we have dinner at 7:15 then it will be time to find a spot for fireworks. Unless we do arrive early I'm not figuring that we'll get to ride more than maybe 1 or 2 things besides our FPs due to long lines. And since it will be PM EMHs we can stay & try to ride some more if it thins out. Planning on AK on the evening of July 2nd so that way we can stay out late if we want and take our time getting up & out on the 3rd.

Good thing about strollers you have a place to pile all your stuff - heavy backpacks with ponchos, water bottles, spray fans and kiddo has a place to sit & rest etc. But then there's navigating them thru the crowds. It was very crowded when we were there first week in January. The strollers were so annoying - I've never seen such aggressiveness before. I got run over from behind 2x - while wearing flip flops. The 2nd time it hurt my heel / ankle so bad I couldn't even wear tennis shoes for a couple of days!! They were oblivious. On our last day I was walking behind DH & DS as we were heading to a lunch ADR at Tony's and as I was stepping up onto the curb / sidewalk off of mainstreet a lady with 2 kids and an umbrella stroller (empty) cut me off from them and I tripped and fell on the sidewalk. DH & DS didn't even realize I was gone & the lady kept going. Two other good samaratins helped me up. Good thing it was my last day as I was all sore then from where I landed on my left hip. I have a real fear of falling because I fell on the ice in our driveway 2 years ago and broke my left arm/shoulder. I didn't need surgery at the time but when I came out of the sling I had "frozen shoulder" and had to eventually have a "surgical manipulation" to get it unstuck. It was a full year recovery. These are the things in my nightmares!!

I think we'll probably just plan to arrive in time for our lunch ADR at the Plaza on the 3rd. We can plan our FPs for between say 1:00 and 5:00 then we have dinner at 7:15 then it will be time to find a spot for fireworks. Unless we do arrive early I'm not figuring that we'll get to ride more than maybe 1 or 2 things besides our FPs due to long lines. And since it will be PM EMHs we can stay & try to ride some more if it thins out. Planning on AK on the evening of July 2nd so that way we can stay out late if we want and take our time getting up & out on the 3rd.

Good thing about strollers you have a place to pile all your stuff - heavy backpacks with ponchos, water bottles, spray fans and kiddo has a place to sit & rest etc. But then there's navigating them thru the crowds. It was very crowded when we were there first week in January. The strollers were so annoying - I've never seen such aggressiveness before. I got run over from behind 2x - while wearing flip flops. The 2nd time it hurt my heel / ankle so bad I couldn't even wear tennis shoes for a couple of days!! They were oblivious. On our last day I was walking behind DH & DS as we were heading to a lunch ADR at Tony's and as I was stepping up onto the curb / sidewalk off of mainstreet a lady with 2 kids and an umbrella stroller (empty) cut me off from them and I tripped and fell on the sidewalk. DH & DS didn't even realize I was gone & the lady kept going. Two other good samaratins helped me up. Good thing it was my last day as I was all sore then from where I landed on my left hip. I have a real fear of falling because I fell on the ice in our driveway 2 years ago and broke my left arm/shoulder. I didn't need surgery at the time but when I came out of the sling I had "frozen shoulder" and had to eventually have a "surgical manipulation" to get it unstuck. It was a full year recovery. These are the things in my nightmares!!

That is scary stuff to read, let alone go through. Guess I better prepare GD as to # of rides we can tackle. Shopping still an option lol.

You know... you make a stroller sound so good I may get one for our next visit, even though we don't have kids.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter