Are Gold Pass perks available when going during blackout dates?

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Hello-- Any advice would be much appreciated! Just wondering if having the gold pass during the blackout dates (but using a regular entrance ticket) would allow us to have the 1) free parking, 2) discounts and 3) Photopass.

In other words, we have a Gold pass, but will be going to DW during Easter (so we know we have to use a regular entrance ticket). However, will the annual pass still allow us to have 1) free parking, 2) Annual Pass discounts and 3) photopass evem though we are using a regular ticket to get in?

Alternatively, we can upgrade the gold pass to a platinum for only $120 more (but we have 10 day no expire, and only paid $75/ticket and only going to go one day, so it's not worth the upgrade). Thank you in advance!!

I don't really know. Are the non expiring tickets already on your MDE account? Otherwise you cannot book FP+ for the blocked out period either.

When you use a ticket versus your Gold AP, you will need to go to guest relations and have them reorder the priority of your tickets. So I do not know if that removes the AP from the Photopass eligibility. This is what it says in the fine print on the Gold AP:
Access and downloading is not available for photos captured after pass expiration or after a pass is removed from a Disney account.
Would the AP be considered to be removed from your Disney MDE account? Either way the photographer would need to scan your MB or AP card, and it might reject it because of the block out date.

As to parking and discounts I would think you could use your AP plastic card to get them, as they do not scan the MB and or AP card. But I would use my plastic AP card.

If you are staying onsite at Disney you will get free parking anyway, whether staying on points or $ and whether DVC member or not.

I am not sure about the photopass, so I would call and ask.

Don't know about the first two although I suspect the answer is yes, but I seriously doubt they'd screen out the photos on blackout dates and I'd think you'll be fine for that.

It's actually $100, not $120. Not sure if that changes anything for you but just throwing it out there anyway :)

Hm. I thought it was $120 including tax! The 10 day pass ends up being $75 each... if we go one day then it's worth it. Otherwise upgrading is better.

We are going April 17 or 18.... will it be insane?!?!

I doubt Photopass is smart enough to figure this one out. They can't seem to get anything right in my account on a bet! Besides, you could go to Disney Springs on a blackout day and still get photos taken there. I would expect those to be included in the download.

Yeah, probably :D but you'll have a good time regardless!

ugh. Maybe we will skip it-- we wanted to check out flower and garden, and kids wanted to go to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. We had hoped to run to Animal Kingdom in the morning, hit Everest, dinosaur and the safari ride, then run to Epcot for lunch while checking out the butterfly garden, then Magic Kingdom for Space Mountain, Peter Pan and ? via fast passes. Is this unreasonable? Do you think the parks will close?! We have a 3 and 7 year old, so they wanted the rides....

Parks won't close to onsite guests but just temper your expectations a little. Plan your FPs strategically and go with the flow. It's not bad, really.

ugh. Maybe we will skip it-- we wanted to check out flower and garden, and kids wanted to go to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. We had hoped to run to Animal Kingdom in the morning, hit Everest, dinosaur and the safari ride, then run to Epcot for lunch while checking out the butterfly garden, then Magic Kingdom for Space Mountain, Peter Pan and ? via fast passes. Is this unreasonable? Do you think the parks will close?! We have a 3 and 7 year old, so they wanted the rides....
Having done many commando trips with my grown kids, and daughter in law and young grandkids, I think you are very optimistic in your planning! I see so many kids worn out from running all day to this ride, to that experience, to this park back to that park. It's exhausting for them. Try to pick a park and stay there for most of the day. Then go back to your resort and give the kids a nap and take one yourself too. Then take a swim and maybe watch a movie or venture back to a park for the fireworks. Plan your fastpasses for rides like Peter Pan very carefully because places like that, and Snow White, Run out of FPs very quickly. I'd take advantage of extra Magic Hours in the morning because kids are best early in the day.

It you decide to do this, there is a bus that will pick you up in one park and deposit you inside one of the other parks. You can buy a one-day ticket or a weekly ticket. This is the only way I can think of to see several parks quickly. Otherwise you spend too much time in transit. You need to buy the park hopper (or an annual pass) to do this.

Parks won't close to onsite guests but just temper your expectations a little. Plan your FPs strategically and go with the flow. It's not bad, really.

Zemra406 - Re the photo pass, my GD is linked to my MDE account. Her pictures in the park on NY day 2017 appeared in my photo pass account.

Disney has closed down entrance to MK on major holidays.

My understanding is that all Disney guarantees to onsite guests is access to "a" park during high peak attendance...not necessarily the MK.

For our upcoming holiday visit booked an ADR for MK on the specific date we wanted to enter, told it's a way for both onsite/offsite guests to enter.

Going by what I've read online, not 100% sure YMMV.:duck:

Zemra406 - Re the photo pass, my GD is linked to my MDE account. Her pictures in the park on NY day 2017 appeared in my photo pass account.

Disney has closed down entrance to MK on major holidays.

My understanding is that all Disney guarantees to onsite guests is access to "a" park during high peak attendance...not necessarily the MK.

For our upcoming holiday visit booked an ADR for MK on the specific date we wanted to enter, told it's a way for both onsite/offsite guests to enter.

Going by what I've read online, not 100% sure YMMV.:duck:
I've only ever seen MK go to a full stage 4 closing on NYE. I've never seen or heard of any other park closing to onsite guests. Not saying it's never happened or won't happen, but I've been to WDW countless times over the years and it's just never been an issue.

Granted there's a first time for everything, but park capacity is really not a major issue for onsite guests.

I've only ever seen MK go to a full stage 4 closing on NYE. I've never seen or heard of any other park closing to onsite guests. Not saying it's never happened or won't happen, but I've been to WDW countless times over the years and it's just never been an issue.

Granted there's a first time for everything, but park capacity is really not a major issue for onsite guests.

Per touring plans - and I've seen these dates elsewhere too:

"Phase 2 Closure
The only guests allowed through the turnstiles and into the parking lots are:

• Those staying at a Disney Resort
  • Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day.
  • Those "hopping" from another park.
  • Those with in-park reservations or appointments.
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
  • Hollywood Studios: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
  • Animal Kingdom: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Phase 3 Closure

• Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.
Phase 4 Closure
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 10 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009."

Per touring plans - and I've seen these dates elsewhere too:

"Phase 2 Closure

• Annual Passholders
  • Those re-entering the park that day.
  • Those "hopping" from another park.
  • Those arriving via Disney transportation
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 2 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 8 and 9, 2009; December 28 and 30, 2009; December 29, 2010; December 25 and 28, 2011; December 24, 25, and 30, 2012; December 25 and 30, 2013; July 4, 2014; December 31, 2014.
  • Hollywood Studios: December 29, 2009 and December 28, 2011
  • Animal Kingdom: December 28, 2009 and December 28, 2011
Phase 3 Closure

• Annual Passholders
The following are dates within the past 10 years when Walt Disney World parks have reached, yet not gone past, a Phase 3 capacity closure:

• Magic Kingdom: April 7, 2009; December 29 and 31, 2009; March 30, 2010; December 25 and 31, 2010; December 31, 2011; December 27, 28, and 31, 2012; January 2, 2013; March 25-28, 2013; July 4, 2013; December 31, 2013.
Phase 4 Closure
The park and parking lot are closed to all arriving guests. The only Phase 4 Closure in the past 10 years has been Magic Kingdom on April 7, 2009."
So there's nothing specific for on-site guests (phase 4)..?? Sounds like Phase 4 is closed to all.

MG

So there's nothing specific for on-site guests (phase 4)..?? Sounds like Phase 4 is closed to all.

MG

Correct. There is a point that even resort guests are restricted from entry and they don't narrow it down so far as to only be them. But even so, the closures are not all day long and afaik things have opened up again. With MDE I believe they also can have more people in the parks as they are able to "encourage" guests to spread out across the park better than before.

KAT4Disney - thanks for that post!

since we will be both onsite & are APH (well one in party isn't) I should be able to realistically drop the ADRs @ MK for July 3/4th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter