Are Bridal showers still something that happens?

Yes, still around here, but they have changed. Used to be a shower was at a friends house, kind of informal, a couple of hours. A lot now are weekend getaways to out of town resorts or spas. My DIL's was like that. DD didn't go because she didn't have the $600 it was going to cost.

I think you're referring to the bachelorette party, which is different from a shower.

Yes, showers are still a thing here. Many of them are getting much more posh, particularly including the registries.

I think you're referring to the bachelorette party, which is different from a shower.

Yes, showers are still a thing here. Many of them are getting much more posh, particularly including the registries.
That's what I thought too. The trend started a bit after my time and I've never actually been to one, but they do seem to reach some quite outlandish proportions in terms of effort and expense.

:bride: As for bridal showers, I don't think they've changed any here in generations. They are basically a ladies' only tea party type thing with cringy games and modest, practical gifts (sometimes from a registry). It's common for a bride to have more than one; friends, family, workmates will each sometimes host one. Our church puts one on for every bride in the congregation with an open invitation. And - shocker - it's very common to be invited to a shower without being invited to the wedding. The point of attending and giving a gift is to offer well-wishes to the couple.

I have no clue. The invitation said "Bridal Show Road Trip"

I have no clue. The invitation said "Bridal Show Road Trip"

Yep, it's one of today's versions of the bachelorette party -- often turned into pricey weekend getaways. Bridal shower is a different, albeit frequently pricey endeavor -- that the guests hopefully don't feel like it lasts an entire weekend.

I'm of the age where my cohort's kids are getting married. It seems as though the showers are more for the "old folks" and family, and are simpler than what they used to be, and the bachelorette parties are now the real big blowout (often out of town, multiple day, etc). Nothing wrong with any of that, times they are a changing (at least in some areas), I guess....

Terri

How about stag parties?
I'm not exactly thumb-on-the-pulse of these, but some of my DS's friends are beginning to marry. I haven't heard of the stereotypical big drunken night out with naked girls jumping out of cakes lately; mostly it's a much tamer day of golf or whatever and it's definitely not the night before the wedding. It probably varies greatly depending on the crowd though.

I'm not exactly thumb-on-the-pulse of these, but some of my DS's friends are beginning to marry. I haven't heard of the stereotypical big drunken night out with naked girls jumping out of cakes lately; mostly it's a much tamer day of golf or whatever and it's definitely not the night before the wedding. It probably varies greatly depending on the crowd though.

My sister got married a month or so ago and her husband's bachelor weekend was a weekend at King's Island (an amusement park north of Cincinnati).

For her bachelorette party, we went to French Lick for a spa day and tea.

There was no need for registering for the home, so they did the "honeymoon vacation" registry. I think we got them the kayaking tour. There were much smaller expenses available. too.

Except..... no one actually bought them any of the experiences listed. The company hosting the registry just cut the couple a check, having taken a percentage for themselves first.

The first time friends of mine had a honeymoon registry, we spent time considering the options and spent more than we normally would have to send them on a super fun excursion. I was not amused to learn that the registry just cut them a check that they used for other things. I didn't like the deception of it all. And why should a percentage of my gift be kept by a website? I won't use them anymore.

The first time friends of mine had a honeymoon registry, we spent time considering the options and spent more than we normally would have to send them on a super fun excursion. I was not amused to learn that the registry just cut them a check that they used for other things. I didn't like the deception of it all. And why should a percentage of my gift be kept by a website? I won't use them anymore.

Not all honeymoon registries are created equal. With the increasing popularity of them, many web sites have different policies now. Also, more travel agencies are jumping on board with this. I know AAA will print up cards to put inside an invitation that says the couple's honeymoon is booked with AAA. The guest then can contact the agent listed on the card and make a payment towards it or add on something like an excursion. The agent then provides the guest with a printed card they can insert into the bridal shower or wedding card so the couple knows exactly what was contributed.

My sister got married a month or so ago and her husband's bachelor weekend was a weekend at King's Island (an amusement park north of Cincinnati).

For her bachelorette party, we went to French Lick for a spa day and tea.

What the heck is French Lick? I'm afraid to Google it especially being at work. LOL.

Except..... no one actually bought them any of the experiences listed. The company hosting the registry just cut the couple a check, having taken a percentage for themselves first.

That is truly appalling. :sad2: Were you comfortable enough with the couple to make your feelings known? I think I would have wanted to. If cash was what they were after they should have had the gall to ask for it.

You've never had a cousin, friend, coworker who had a bridal shower or couples shower?
No ma’am. It’s probable I know people who had showers before they came into my life, but I’ve never known anyone going through the wedding process who has had a shower. I wracked my brain before I posted and came up with nada.

To my knowledge, they were held so couples getting married got gifts to start a household. Seeing as most couple getting married seem to be fairly well established that way, what is the purpose of them now? My son is getting married to a girl he has been living with for 4 years and own a home together. Other then monetary gifts they need nothing. If they do have a shower, is there a polite way to say they need nothing physical and ask for gift cards instead?
No there is not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!