Are 2042 Resorts Worth it?

Is it not possible to surrender a contract as a last resort to Disney if you really don't want it?
Well, if you stop paying the dues then you will be locked out of using your contract.

But, no, DVD does not buy back contracts from owners on a regular basis.

There have been times when owners have been able to do that but at a lot lower than just selling resale.

The easiest thing to do with DVC, if one wants out and doesn’t owe in the contract, is just list well below market value. Someone will chance getting through ROFR.

Worst case, DVD gets it that way.
Exactly, just list it for cheap & you'll be rid of it sooner than you think. ;)

Is it not possible to surrender a contract as a last resort to Disney if you really don't want it?
I assume you mean at some hypothetical point years from now. Currently ALL DVC timeshares can be resold fairly easily thru online sources (whether at a loss or profit depends on what was paid, and commissions/closing expenses, of course).

In the future, Disney would likely take it back if it was to their benefit (ie profitable). However, were the parks to be permanently closed (for example, by a financially catastrophic event), or the resorts suddenly had extreme expenses (for example, wages, maintenance, or insurance rocketing out of control) it could be assumed there would be little or no resale market, and no reason for Disney to "take over Annual Fee payments" by taking back timeshares; while whoever was owner of the timeshare would still be legally obligated to make payments. Much like any real estate purchase, there is always a non-zero chance the property becomes a liability rather than an asset. And with timeshares you are simply part of the pool of owners sharing the assets and liabilities of a property over which the timeshare owners have limited control.

That's not the "magical view" - but honestly, Very few purchases in your life come with zero risk. Most purchases of timeshares are assumed to be made with disposable income (may or may not be true, the marketing of Disney is excellent) - and many believe the risk of catastrophic failure of the timeshare is less than the risk of being priced out of future, desirable high-end vacations. If you ask people on a Disney-related website, and your Certified Public Accountant what they think - you'll almost certainly get two opposite views. Personally, I purchased (a small amount) of DVC because my comfort level rests between those two.

Not sure why I thought it was possible to just give up a contract back to Disney directly. I'm with y'all that selling for below market price would likely go quick and almost always be preferable.

I had been thinking that a longer contract is strictly better than a shorter, but you can't walk away at will the risk @TinkAgainU points out is nonzero. I'd still personally want the longer contract and would deal with selling and the inherent risk there, but family members I'd want to think of may not.

Another thing I didn't see yet in this thread with 2042 resorts being worth it is "compared to what?" Even if I think a non 2042 resort has more value, if I'm in a situation where I'm picking between picking up a 2042 contract and cash rooms for however years, the "worth it" calculation becomes I think clearer.

I was in a spot like this on a recent contract. We knew we wanted an upcoming grand villa for a family thing a bit more than a year away. We had funds earmarked and saw that we could get a lower priced contract for just a little more at a 2042. Our buy in / long term value might've been better on a longer contract, but we didn't have the money set aside for that much and didn't want to take out a loan in the name of saving.

Last edited:
Ok, so my adult children suddenly love Disney again and buying vs renting is suddenly something I would consider.

Is the spreadsheet a good spot to get up to start getting up to speed with what one might need to know to make a decision? Is there something else that could quickly educate me about what you all are talking about here? :)

I take it "2042" is a new ownership deal that Disney cooked up, but at 2042 your ownership is terminated?
1/31/42​
Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Hilton Head, Vero Beach
1/31/54​
Saratoga Springs
1/31/57​
Animal Kingdom, Old Key West
1/31/60​
Bay Lake Tower, Grand Californian
1/31/62​
Aulani
+
1/31/64​
Grand Floridian
++
1/31/66​
Polynesian,
+++
1/31/68​
Copper Creek,
++++
1/31/70​
Riviera
+++++
1/31/74​
Disneyland Hotel

1/31/42​
Beach Club, Boardwalk, Boulder Ridge, Hilton Head, Vero Beach
1/31/54​
Saratoga Springs
1/31/57​
Animal Kingdom, Old Key West
1/31/60​
Bay Lake Tower, Grand Californian
1/31/62​
Aulani
+
1/31/64​
Grand Floridian
++
1/31/66​
Polynesian,
+++
1/31/68​
Copper Creek,
++++
1/31/70​
Riviera
+++++
1/31/74​
Disneyland Hotel
Thank you for the chart.
What is the significance of the * and +?

We are considering purchasing a DVC resale contract and truly appreciate all of the information provided by posters.

We are considering purchasing a DVC resale contract and truly appreciate all of the information provided by posters.
You can find a Lot of info on Disboards, Some info might be out of date... I found an ebook The DVC Field Book that has a lot of Current info about DVC and buying DVC in one (huge) easy reference - helpful after purchase too (has Great info on Each DVC resort). $12 or $13? - $ well spent
https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/store/p/dvc-field-guide-202201

Thank you for the chart.
What is the significance of the * and +?

I wouldn't pay attention to the * and +. The chart is just showing the expiration date of all DVC contracts at certain resorts.

Not sure why I thought it was possible to just give up a contract back to Disney directly.
In an inheritance situation, yes, heirs can refuse the contract and it reverts to Disney if they do. That’s a guarantee. If you look through the deeds in the OC database it happens more often than you’d expect. A lot of people’s kids have no idea their parent's timeshare is worth 20 grand.

Disney also has taken deed surrenders from living owners in the past. It’s not an official policy and there’s no guarantee that they’d take any contract at any time. But given that the contract can, in many cases, be resold quickly for a 100% profit margin, I imagine they will continue to take deeds as long as it makes sense too.

For us, it's absolutely worth it to buy a 2042 resort because Disney's HHI Resort if the only place we really want to stay. We are seriously considering selling our AKV contract next year to buy more HHI points on the resale market. We want to ensure we can take family trips often, so we want the home resort booking priority. And even though the annual dues are more, I like the thought of no dues from 2042-2057. Plus when it expires, we will be in our 70s, so we won't be passing on something our kids might not want.

For us, it's absolutely worth it to buy a 2042 resort because Disney's HHI Resort if the only place we really want to stay. We are seriously considering selling our AKV contract next year to buy more HHI points on the resale market. We want to ensure we can take family trips often, so we want the home resort booking priority. And even though the annual dues are more, I like the thought of no dues from 2042-2057. Plus when it expires, we will be in our 70s, so we won't be passing on something our kids might not want.
Curious... what do you do there? I watched a video and I didn't see anything (looked like an apartment complex), is there golf courses around or any sort of draw attraction? (besides the beach)

Also, what does no dues from 2042-2057 mean?

I’d guess it means since it expires then they won’t have to pay annual dues. To me I feel like I wouldn’t want to have DVC after I was say 85 years old because I don’t know if I’d want to go. On the off chance I did, cash rates would likely have me end up ahead of buying a new contract.

I’d guess it means since it expires then they won’t have to pay annual dues. To me I feel like I wouldn’t want to have DVC after I was say 85 years old because I don’t know if I’d want to go. On the off chance I did, cash rates would likely have me end up ahead of buying a new contract.
Oh gotcha, AKV expires in 2057, not HHI. I was wondering how they would get out of dues for 15 years. lol

Curious... what do you do there? I watched a video and I didn't see anything (looked like an apartment complex), is there golf courses around or any sort of draw attraction? (besides the beach)

Oh gotcha, AKV expires in 2057, not HHI. I was wondering how they would get out of dues for 15 years. lol
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I like the thought of no annual dues after the HHI contract expires in 2042.

Chill327, you cannot get a feel from HHI from a video. You just have to experience it. It's a beautiful resort where you can just relax and enjoy the low-country vibe. We like to sleep in, hit the pool and hot tub, ride bikes around the island, relax on the balcony, read a book in the hammocks, stop in and get cookies in the lobby, walk around Shelter Cove marina and visit the shops, and eat really good seafood. We actually don't golf or spend a lot of time on the beach. The CMs are the best and there are fun activities for everyone. It's truly our home away from home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter