April 21, 2007 -- Western Magic -- anyone?

Hello,
No, this isn't our spring break here on Long Island. We have our break the two weeks before our cruise. The kids are excited because they have their break, then they go to school for three days, and then we go on the cruise. So they're psyched about all the time off. :thumbsup2

Hey everyone!! With one year to go, we need to get chatting!!!

Anyway, I'll reintroduce my cast of characters. It will be myself, my DH Chris, my oldest DD Emily and youngest DD Madison. We will be celebrating my DHs 40th birthday on the 2nd night of our cruise, and my youngest DDs 3rd birthday on the day that we disembark.

We've been on one 7-night cruise in 2003, which was a Western, and we had a blast. I would HIGHLY recommend Capt Marvin's for anyone wanting to do the Stingray City tour!!! Then, we've been on the 4-night DVC member cruise last September, and a 4-night cruise this past February over Valentine's Day (last minute FL resident rate). And, we're scheduled on the DVC member cruise this October as well!!! So, we're ready to go back on to the Magic!!!

Good Evening All! :thumbsup2

One thing I was totally disappointed with on our last (but first) cruise was that we did not get to hit Grand Cayman! (weather weather weather :( )

A bunch of DISers had ganged together for a private charter and I would be so up for that if anyone is interested... I know it is way way away but just thought I'd put it out there for now...

here is a blurb from one of the e-mails we had going at the time:

I have reserved a boat to accommodate your party of 25-50 on our
November 22, private charter, "Rays, Reef, and Rum Point" excursion...

The tour departs the pier between 8:30 AM - 9 AM Eastern Time. It
completes at around 3 PM Eastern Time. We ask that you check in no later
than 8:15 AM Eastern Time. When you come ashore, look for the person
carrying the sign that says Native Way Watersports. You may also ask for us
at the information booth at the cruise ship terminal.

We provide free use of all snorkeling gear and vests, food for the Rays,
and complimentary punch and bottled water. At Rum Point, you will be
provided with a nice grilled lunch.

This was with Native Way... I'd have to really dig to get all the info ... from the pics i saw Rum Point is gorgeous and not that crowded since it is a distance .. (from what I remember when I checked it out last year)...

It was very inexpensive (i can get that info) compared to the other things that were going on... I think the Capt Marvin's Alikat spoke of in the previous post might be Grand Cayman also but not sure...

Think on it!! Hoping our group increases by the day... I'll wait to hear :listen: from ya all!

sherri

You're right, Sherri! Capt Marvins is in Grand Cayman. We also did a "charter" with a large DIS group. We had a blast, because we knew everyone from the DIS ahead of time, so the excursion was the best!

:teeth: Just checking in again. Lately I've been reading my new Passporter after the kiddo is in bed. Last night DH says "Wow, you're really in to that book huh?" I just smiled, and told him it was good reading. I've done well not telling him about the cruise.

Today I booked a hotel for the Friday night before we cruise. Yay! Can't get any rates for airfare though, since the return date is still more than 330 days away. I just want an idea of how expensive it may get. I'm thinking I'll go ahead & book now, since prices may go up, especially if hurricanes hit again, and fuel costs rise even more........ :confused3 So, I'm just patiently waiting. I'll try again mid June & see what types of quotes I get.

I think I'm even more excited now that we have less than a year to go. Walking through our mall yesterday, I was browsing at some tropical wear they had on clearance....and smiling, thinking of the cruise.

I'd love to hear more from those who've cruised before, about excursions you've booked yourself or with other Dis members. Our DD will turn 5 on the cruise, so especially anything she can join us on and have a good time too. princess:

curlybop said:
:teeth:
I think I'm even more excited now that we have less than a year to go. Walking through our mall yesterday, I was browsing at some tropical wear they had on clearance....and smiling, thinking of the cruise.
princess:

A hint: When you see something and you think, that would look great on me while on the cruise, snap it up (if you got the cashola) because you might not find it later!
On our last cruise, if I saw something a year or a few months before the cruise, a shirt for one of my two daughters, my husband or myself, I picked it up.
My daughters were shopping for a dress for their friend's BatMitzvah and I saw something tropical and I said to my husband, that would look great on the cruise, he said, you better get it now because you won't find it later, so I did. Pretty sandals? Get'em now.

Also, if you do a little shopping here and there it's not gonna kill ya later on!

We cruised on the Wonder last April and this is our first seven day cruise. The four day cruise was a little easier when it came down to clothing because there weren't any formal nights. Now with the BatMitzvah dresses that my girls purchased (well, I did!) that knocks out one formal night on the cruise. My other daughter has an Easter dress I know will fit her, so that's two dresses for Tori. Kyra needs another.

As for our last cruise at dinner time, I know some people like to go overboard, but I made it a point to look around and see what everyone else was wearing: Sundresses, capri's for ladies, nice shirts and slacks for men. Nothing crazy. But I hear most people get dressed dressed for formal night, so now we're set for that.

BTW: You guys asked, so I'm tellin:
Grand Cayman - we're going to do the excursion where you go out to the sand bar and feed the sting rays. My FIL did it and he said it is a MUST!

Cozumel - My family and our best friends' are going to do XCaret (through DCL so the ship won't leave without us), which is an hour ride away from the ship. My father did it, two of my students did it and they all said the same thing - One of the best things they have ever done in their lives - Paradise. So now I've got to convince my SIL and her friends.

CC: We did the Eco-Tour (jetski) last cruise and we're gonna do it again. It was so much fun!

Key West - Not Sure. On our honeymoon we rented jetboats and did a tour through the mangrove. I have to do more research and see if it's still offered.

And of course, Tropical Rain Forest every afternoon before dinner :cloud9:

Hi -- Well, I just returned from the Eastern Caribbean cruise on May 6th and while onboard booked this cruise. I had originally wanted to do the western before but after the hurricanes I wasn't sure how the ports would be so I changed to the eastern and had a blast. I went with my sister and had a great time. DH and I went in the fall of 05 on the 4 day on the Wonder and it was horrible weather so he didn't want to go again. I told him I had a wonderful time on the 7 day (despite some rocky wave times) and so I haven't mentioned I booked this one. I'm going to keep it and make a final decision in the fall. On the last cruise I got on the Dis boards a week before the cruise and met a few people but felt a little left out because I was so late getting involved. It turned out tho that our dinner companions were all Disers and I did meet some others during the trip. So - I figured I'd start getting involved and if it happens we don't go then nothing will be lost.
I'm hoping the weather will be good. The first week in May was perfect but they said it had been cloudy and rainy before that so that worried me but I'm sure it's different each year.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi for now.

hope everyone is enjoying the holiday. we are planning on parasailing on castaway key. tried on oct cruise but was too windy. rest of the trip undecided. snorkeling for sure. if anyone needs a disney fix we suggest www.cassworld.ca thats timon from dis boards. shes got great videos and pics from cruises. they were on our oct cruise and are great people.

Welcome to the group! I'm sure that this group will pick up even more as we get closer to the cruise.

I'm not sure what our plans will be for Castaway Cay on this trip. We're going on the DVC member cruise in October and it has 2 stops at CC. I know that DH wants to parasail, and I'm hoping to take my oldest to visit the stingrays on our trip in October. So, if either of those gets cancelled for whatever reason, I'm sure that they will be scheduled for this trip.

As for Grand Cayman, we will definitely be booking a Stingray City snorkeling trip with Capt. Marvins. We used them in the past, and they are a top-notch operation. Plus, they will allow children under 5 to go, so both my girls will be able to go.

On Cozumel, I'm not sure what we'll do. In 2003, we took our oldest (who was 2 at the time) on the DCL beach break excursion. It was fun, but we might try something different this time. Most of the excursions in Cozumel are for older kids, so we might just try to go to one of the closer beaches for the day.

We've been to Key West a couple of times with DCL. On one trip, we did the SouthernMost Scavenger Hunt with a bunch of DISers. It was quite fun. Most of us rented the electric cars and had a blast with all the clues. The most recent trip to Key West, the kids didn't want to go off the ship, so we left them there for a couple of hours and rented an electric car and just wandered around town. We visited the lighthouse (great views of the ship from up there), the Southernmost Point, got key lime pie and did a little shopping. This time, if we can get the girls off the ship, we're thinking about taking them to the Butterfly Museum and maybe the aquarium too.

I really haven't made too many plans for this one yet, because my mom is a CM and is hoping to go on this cruise too. But, in order to get the CM rates, she has to wait until almost the last minute to book. Plus, we have some other family that might book too.

Hey everyone!
We will be joining you also. (I hope we can save enough by then!) We were on this same cruise this year (4/22/06 Western) and booked again on board for the same time next year. The weather was phenominal and the seas were incredibly calm, almost like glass.
I can tell you that Cozumel was pretty beat up from the hurricane that sat over it for 3 days, I think it was Wilma. We went to Paradise Beach there and our son had a blast.
In Grand Cayman we did swim with the sting rays, it was very kid friendly. I would recommend this as well. So many sting rays!! I celebrated my 40th this day too!

Let's hope for a repeat next year with those calm seas!!
Oh btw- its me, DH and DS

Poccio said:
Hey everyone!
We will be joining you also. (I hope we can save enough by then!) We were on this same cruise this year (4/22/06 Western) and booked again on board for the same time next year. The weather was phenominal and the seas were incredibly calm, almost like glass.
I can tell you that Cozumel was pretty beat up from the hurricane that sat over it for 3 days, I think it was Wilma. We went to Paradise Beach there and our son had a blast.
In Grand Cayman we did swim with the sting rays, it was very kid friendly. I would recommend this as well. So many sting rays!! I celebrated my 40th this day too!

Let's hope for a repeat next year with those calm seas!!
Oh btw- its me, DH and DS
Welcome to the group! I'm glad to hear that the weather was nice! We can't wait to go on a 7-night again!!

I see that you're from Aurora, I grew up in Elgin. I still have quite a bit of family in the area!!!

Hello,
What is the SouthernMost Scavenger Hunt?
Where do you rent the electric cars and how much are they?

I love those cars! How cute are they? :love:

DISers are the only ones who would understand the excitement I have about cruising! I still haven't told DH yet. It's all I can do not to. I was thinking Father's Day surprise, but now, I'm wondering if I can keep it to myself until his birthday, next Feb. which will be 2 months before. Yes, I love torturing myself. :rotfl: But that way, it will be so close, and it will be more real for him too.

A couple of weeks ago, he actually called a travel agent, and I got their voice mail at home. I asked him what he was calling them for, and he says "to check on cruises, since I know you'd love it so much. Plus I wanted something special for our anniversary." Awwwww..... :cloud9: Anyway, after pulling up Disney's site, showing him prices for this year, I talked him out of it. Oh little does he know. :rolleyes1

So, for those who have booked, which category did you choose? We're in category 6, with a verandah. I figure that will be good down time for us, after DD has gone to sleep. I get relaxed just thinking about it!

I'm SO excited for you, Amanda!!! I don't know how you can keep that kind of secret, but I sure hope that you can hold out!!!

We're cruising in a secret porthole room. That's one of our new favorites. We had first cruised in a cat 6, but really never used the verandah. Our next cruise we ended up with a SPH and we loved it! Can't beat the window for an inside price. The next one we cruised in a regular cat 10, and it wasn't bad at all. It did force us to get up, dressed and out to explore. But, for my next 2 cruises, we're back in SPH rooms. Plus, you can't beat the location and proximity to the clubs for the kids.

we are booked inside stateroom on deck 7. we had a porthole on our first cruise and it was nice but we felt we were never in the cabin that much (always running). so why pay extra. so on our last 2 cruises we went for inside cabin and use the extra money saved to BUY MORE STUFF.

Yes, we did the same thing. We were on Deck 6 last year and we've booked Deck 6 again, Catagory 11. I was apprehensive about not having a window, but to sleep in absolute darkness was wonderful! Like the other posters, we were in and out of our room. Last year we traveled with a large group of friends, and next year we will be, too. So instead of hanging out on a verandah where only a few people can fit, we'll use Deck 10 to hang out on. And yes, I've gotta save that extra money for BINGO!!! Hey, Sherri !!!!

Ok.. I see my name :goodvibes I'm here... Not sure if it is directly tied to the word Bingo or if I'm just feeling guilty about seeing my name so close and thinking about the $ I lost last cruise :rotfl2: Not sure if I fessed up to our bingo-ing but yes just don't let me get started.. and I swear it wasn't my fault, it was they day we drove by Grand Cayman and the Capt. said... sorry we ain't goin' ... now what was a girl to do? all the plans down the crapper and a whole big dreary rocky everyone a hurling day ahead!!! :rotfl2:

We are on Deck 5 in Cat 7 with a Cat 11 across the hall... we are heading to Riviera Maya in a few weeks but once I'm back, all focus will be on the impending Dis Cruise... I'm surprised that we don't have more folks yakking yet!!

Sherri :wave2:

Hi all,

Looking forward to this cruise -- we booked this one onboard our cruise Apr 2006.

Wondering what kind of activities will be "good" for DS13 and DS16 (at time of cruise)

Hello Fellow Cruisers!!!
I'm so glad that I found this thread.

My family is also booked for April 21, 2007 and we are newbies to cruisin. This is my gang...DW(self), DH, DD11,and DS9(at cruise time).

We don't have anything planned yet, but still pouring over all the options.

Glad to meet everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter