April 2021 Cruises Heading Towards Cancellation

They generally appear to be cancelling after the PIF date.

I don't know if that is universally true.

That happened to me. My PIF was in July 2020 and shortly after that (like a week or so. I don't remember exactly when) they cancelled.

I was afraid this would happen. We moved our April 17 cruise to Oct. Cannot believe that I could have any worries about a cruise that far out! Time will tell. 😩

I was afraid this would happen. We moved our April 17 cruise to Oct. Cannot believe that I could have any worries about a cruise that far out! Time will tell. 😩
We are booked for October 2021 as well and recall when we moved it I thought "surely, it will be better by then." :| I am starting to think they may not start cruising until Fall actually and not sure how it will be and would really like to have feedback so not sure if that will even be a go for us!

Based on information I read from the Cayman Islands today, no cruises will be going there until the end of 2021 at the earliest (unless something drastically changes in regards to Covid infections before then.) Any DCL cruises that do sail won't be stopping in Grand Cayman it seems.

Based on information I read from the Cayman Islands today, no cruises will be going there until the end of 2021 at the earliest (unless something drastically changes in regards to Covid infections before then.) Any DCL cruises that do sail won't be stopping in Grand Cayman it seems.

I'm expecting a lot of itinerary changes for the sailings that will happen before 2022.

Then why oh why won’t DCL just go ahead and cancel our April cruise?! We are supposed to sail on the Magic (still in the UK) and our one stop (besides CC) is Grand Cayman. Just cancel us already so we can move to another cruise!!

It's true in many cases, but not universally. My March 20th cruise was canceled a week prior to the PIF date. Since they seem to be doing it one month at a time, sailings earlier in a month are more likely to be canceled after PIF, but sailings later in the month might be canceled just prior to PIF.

I predict they will sail at 50 percent capacity on select cruises in April.

They need to wait 60 days between CDC-approved test cruises and actual revenue cruises.
And no line is even close to submitting the request to the CDC.
Plus it takes 60-90 days to repopulate cruises with staff and retrain them on everything almost from scratch.
So yeah, no.
I'd be surprised if any cruises sail in July.
DCL? September earliest, if all goes 100% perfect.

They need to wait 60 days between CDC-approved test cruises and actual revenue cruises.
And no line is even close to submitting the request to the CDC.
Plus it takes 60-90 days to repopulate cruises with staff and retrain them on everything almost from scratch.
So yeah, no.
I'd be surprised if any cruises sail in July.
DCL? September earliest, if all goes 100% perfect.

Agreed. I’ve known for some time that we would not be on our August Northern European (border closures, quarantine requirements etc) but it’s looking less and less likely that anyone will be. I never would have thought that when we booked last March.

Then why oh why won’t DCL just go ahead and cancel our April cruise?!
Because if they bundled April cancellations with March they'd lose a bigger amount of money all at once when paying out refunds, and their call center would be twice as swamped. So, they space it out and make us wait.

I predict they will sail at 50 percent capacity on select cruises in April.
They already know they won't be sailing in April. I have 0% doubt about that, as bigger cruise lines have already announced they won't sail in April. DCL will not jump off the diving board first.

I had a July 2020 cruise that got cancelled early last summer, and I moved it to this March. There was a major mistake on their part that led to me talking to a manager at their accounting department, and I commented to her that I was looking forward to cruising in March "when things will be back to normal" (ah summer of 2020, the age of innocence). Her response was doubtful, and that was in early summer.

DCL will not cruise in April. There's a better chance that the moon will fall out of the sky.

Last edited:
Our cruise was a Passholder discount with the OBC which we already changed once from November '20 to April '21. My understanding was we could only make one change so I wonder if they'll let the original discounts move to the next cruise.

Then why oh why won’t DCL just go ahead and cancel our April cruise?! We are supposed to sail on the Magic (still in the UK) and our one stop (besides CC) is Grand Cayman. Just cancel us already so we can move to another cruise!!

They won’t even go ahead and cancel the ones that we know aren’t going because the ship is in the wrong spot such as April and May Caribbean cruises on the Magic, which is currently in Europe and the April May San Diego cruises.

They did that earlier on too. Very frustrating

Our cruise was a Passholder discount with the OBC which we already changed once from November '20 to April '21. My understanding was we could only make one change so I wonder if they'll let the original discounts move to the next cruise.
I don't know how Passholder discounts work, but other DCL cruises (with OBC, FCC, etc.) can be changed as many times as you feel like changing them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter