April 2021 Cruise scheduled

sizzlin’ bacon

Earning My Ears
Since they have now canceled through March 2021 we know our April cruise will most likely not happen since we are early in April. we are DVC members and we were told that we would either get our points back and have to use by X date or we can lift and shift to another cruise. My question is if we go ahead and move it now even though they haven’t officially canceled for April 2021 are we missing out on something they would’ve offered us if wait until the cancel. There are just too many logistic things to care for and I don’t want to be scrambling doing it all 30 days before were supposed to go. Thanks in advance

We are DVC and this is what happened to us:
We booked a Sept B2B when the Fall 2020 cruises opened (around March 2019) using points. Our Sept 2020 B2B cruise that DCL canceled (we did not receive a 125% FCC because we used points) was moved to a Jan 2021 cruise (still all original UY 2018/2019 points). We have a May 2021 cruise already booked by late 2020. Jan 2021 was canceled by DCL (still no 125% FCC and still original UY 2018/2019 points. There was one concierge stateroom open on the May 2021 cruise so we moved/combined all the points to the concierge May 2021. Had to pay a 20% penalty in points for the canceled regular stateroom.

This is where it stinks: we have 298 points that have to be used by Aug 31 2021 (use them or lose them). They do not turn back into DVC points but "reservation points" (it's the conversion factor from DVC to DCL). I can only use them for the hotel side of Disney (2 queen beds and a TV in a hotel room type of room). Luckily we have family that lives in Orlando and they are using them for weekend stays.

We're hoping the May cruise is a GO because we have an awful lot of points tied up in this mess. Never again will we use points for DCL.

Thank you for the information. I will say this is going to be our fifth cruise and we have never ever had a problem but obviously Covid wasn’t involved before. I did just talk to them and I do need to wait for Disney to cancel, our cruise is scheduled for April 10 but I’m not counting on it going. She made it sound like we would get a future credit of the 125% But maybe she was mistaken. Either way same boat we have to wait for them to cancel or use ours by July of this year which isn’t going to happen because I’m not going to walk around the hot parks with a mask on my face. Not to mention I think you get so much value taking the cruise with the points. Thanks again for the quick response.

We're platinum and never had a problem like this before. When I called DVC (late April 2020) for information about a May 2021 cruise I asked the CM what would happen if Sept 2020 were to be canceled. He said we would receive the 125% FCC. Well, that didn't happen.

Actually, it's a much better deal to rent your points and pay DCL cash. There are several posts about it and we will be doing the rent and pay cash from now on. If May 2021 cruise is canceled we will have about 1200 reservation points to use or lose by Aug 2021. We would have to live in a hotel room to get any use out of 1200 points by Aug.

We're platinum and never had a problem like this before. When I called DVC (late April 2020) for information about a May 2021 cruise I asked the CM what would happen if Sept 2020 were to be canceled. He said we would receive the 125% FCC. Well, that didn't happen.

Actually, it's a much better deal to rent your points and pay DCL cash. There are several posts about it and we will be doing the rent and pay cash from now on. If May 2021 cruise is canceled we will have about 1200 reservation points to use or lose by Aug 2021. We would have to live in a hotel room to get any use out of 1200 points by Aug.
Yikes! Sorry to read this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter