AP Only Info Thread Reservation System /Extensions / Refunds

Can you share where you sent your email? I have sent 3 emails and I have gotten no response in weeks.
I am glad that they responded to you!
Of course. I used the MDE online chat and every e mail that I could find. I had been trying since 10 July. I received numerous standardised responses, thanking me for my feedback but I kept politely requesting an explanation and eventually I received a helpful response from an e mail address that I had not used. It was from passholder@disneyworld.com.

I read someone mention something about Chapek talking about APs recently? Anyone know what that was about?

Has anyone speculated on what’s to become of future APs? Will they even offer them again? Continue the renewal option for existing APs only? Like a grandfather clause?

If I ride this out and don’t cancel and they come out with a better (cheaper) AP deal I’ll be upset. I’m still trying to decide if I should cancel these passes and apply the refund to new ones later, but not really knowing what I’ll get back is making this extremely difficult.

I have some thoughts that relate to your questions and decided you are the (un?)lucky post to receive them : )

The comments from Chapek about APs were in response to a question on how many spots were made available in the park reservation system for each type of ticket. He was saying they made more spots available for daily tickets than for annual passes. The logic behind this being that people with daily tickets tend to spend more time in the park per day and spend more money per visit than people with APs. This, expectedly, upset AP holders since we tend to be much more dedicated customers in the long term than someone who might visit the parks much less often. While this measure around per day spend may be true, the bigger picture is being ignored, which in the longer term has much more influence on Disney’s bottom line past the current financial quarter. The comments jive with the narrative about Chapek put forth by his critics that he is short sighted and favors strategies that boost revenue in the near term at the expense of long-term financial sustainability and growth. Yes, AP visits on net, might produce marginally less revenue on a per day basis, but it is also likely that the customers holding those APs consume much more Disney product than daily ticket users. Taking actions (like limiting reservations) for AP holders which make them feel unappreciated is likely to undermine their devotion to the brand. This has the potential to hurt future revenue much more than the loss incurred by admitting more APs and less daily tickets. For instance, those AP holders not able to get the park reservation they want could lead to a higher chance that they don’t renew their pass. Or, it could make out of state visitors more likely to take future vacations outside of Disney. This is not to mention the intangible value AP holders bring to the company, such as being evangelists of the brand who essentially market to their friends, family, and co-workers. There is a famous story told by Randy Pausch in The Last Lecture called the “$100,000 Salt and Pepper Shaker”, where he describes something that happened to him during a trip to DW when he was a teenager. Basically, the story goes that he bought a ceramic salt and pepper shaker from one of the shops as a gift for his parents to thank them for the trip. Upon walking out of the store he dropped it and it shattered. A guest witnessed this and urged him to tell the cast member in the store what happened. He reluctantly agreed and to his astonishment, they replaced it for free. His family was so impressed with the customer service that he says they went on to incorporate trips to DW into their charity work, bringing many other families there and estimates that Disney mostly likely gained over $100,000 in revenue as a result of that one act of kindness. His family became instant customers for life and most likely convinced many others they knew to become customers as well. Later in life, Randy works for Disney and recounts that story for executives and asks if their current policies would have allowed for a cast member to do such a thing, for which the answer was ‘probably not’. Chapek’s comments (and other prior actions attributed to him like limiting cast member hours at the expense of the guest experience) fly in the face of what a lot of Disney fans enjoy most about the company. After all, the entire brand is about “magic”. It’s about the ability to make guests feel special in little ways that separate the Disney universe from the experience of everyday life. Without that, Disney is just another theme park and movie studio. The job of a CEO is about providing the big vision around what the company is, where it is going, and how it’s going to get there. Chapek’s history of cutting corners and not being able to ‘see the forest through the trees’ worries Disney fans, and comments like this reinforce that concern.

As for your other questions, they already allow renewal of existing APs. I suspect they will continue to suspend issuing new APs for the foreseeable future. This is one reason why people may not want to cancel. In order to reinstate normal operations and thus the full value of APs, the park reservation system would need to be retired. They really cannot do that until community spread of the virus has completely stopped. This will most likely require some time after an effective vaccine is available. I personally see that being no earlier than spring/summer of 2021, but possibly even later. I think it is very likely APs will come back after this situation is over as it is still a viable revenue source for all the reasons discussed earlier.

I couldn't agree more with what you stated above. Unfortunately, while Chapek is at the helm, APs will be considered the bottom of the barrel, and I think it will get worse :eeyore:

Of course. I used the MDE online chat and every e mail that I could find. I had been trying since 10 July. I received numerous standardised responses, thanking me for my feedback but I kept politely requesting an explanation and eventually I received a helpful response from an e mail address that I had not used. It was from passholder@disneyworld.com.
Thank you. I feel like I have sent my email to everywhere I could find and the only message I received back was from the Tech dept telling me I had the wrong email. It's very frustrating. I'll update if I get a response!

I’m now regretting taking the AP extension. Is there any way to still get a partial refund?
This is what I received from Guest Services on 24 August.
At this time, the official deadline for our Guests to cancel their Disney Annual Passes was August 11, 2020. However, we understand that Guests may have needed additional time or may not have been able to get in contact with us by the deadline. For this reason, we are still allowing our Guests to request the cancellation of their Disney Annual Passes for a partial refund.

However, as the official deadline has already passed, we are encouraging any of our Guests who may need to cancel their passes to do so by calling us or chatting with us online much sooner rather than later as this offer could end at any time without notice.
Unquote
Good luck.

I have some thoughts that relate to your questions and decided you are the (un?)lucky post to receive them : )

The comments from Chapek about APs were in response to a question on how many spots were made available in the park reservation system for each type of ticket. He was saying they made more spots available for daily tickets than for annual passes. The logic behind this being that people with daily tickets tend to spend more time in the park per day and spend more money per visit than people with APs. This, expectedly, upset AP holders since we tend to be much more dedicated customers in the long term than someone who might visit the parks much less often. While this measure around per day spend may be true, the bigger picture is being ignored, which in the longer term has much more influence on Disney’s bottom line past the current financial quarter. The comments jive with the narrative about Chapek put forth by his critics that he is short sighted and favors strategies that boost revenue in the near term at the expense of long-term financial sustainability and growth. Yes, AP visits on net, might produce marginally less revenue on a per day basis, but it is also likely that the customers holding those APs consume much more Disney product than daily ticket users. Taking actions (like limiting reservations) for AP holders which make them feel unappreciated is likely to undermine their devotion to the brand. This has the potential to hurt future revenue much more than the loss incurred by admitting more APs and less daily tickets. For instance, those AP holders not able to get the park reservation they want could lead to a higher chance that they don’t renew their pass. Or, it could make out of state visitors more likely to take future vacations outside of Disney. This is not to mention the intangible value AP holders bring to the company, such as being evangelists of the brand who essentially market to their friends, family, and co-workers. There is a famous story told by Randy Pausch in The Last Lecture called the “$100,000 Salt and Pepper Shaker”, where he describes something that happened to him during a trip to DW when he was a teenager. Basically, the story goes that he bought a ceramic salt and pepper shaker from one of the shops as a gift for his parents to thank them for the trip. Upon walking out of the store he dropped it and it shattered. A guest witnessed this and urged him to tell the cast member in the store what happened. He reluctantly agreed and to his astonishment, they replaced it for free. His family was so impressed with the customer service that he says they went on to incorporate trips to DW into their charity work, bringing many other families there and estimates that Disney mostly likely gained over $100,000 in revenue as a result of that one act of kindness. His family became instant customers for life and most likely convinced many others they knew to become customers as well. Later in life, Randy works for Disney and recounts that story for executives and asks if their current policies would have allowed for a cast member to do such a thing, for which the answer was ‘probably not’. Chapek’s comments (and other prior actions attributed to him like limiting cast member hours at the expense of the guest experience) fly in the face of what a lot of Disney fans enjoy most about the company. After all, the entire brand is about “magic”. It’s about the ability to make guests feel special in little ways that separate the Disney universe from the experience of everyday life. Without that, Disney is just another theme park and movie studio. The job of a CEO is about providing the big vision around what the company is, where it is going, and how it’s going to get there. Chapek’s history of cutting corners and not being able to ‘see the forest through the trees’ worries Disney fans, and comments like this reinforce that concern.

As for your other questions, they already allow renewal of existing APs. I suspect they will continue to suspend issuing new APs for the foreseeable future. This is one reason why people may not want to cancel. In order to reinstate normal operations and thus the full value of APs, the park reservation system would need to be retired. They really cannot do that until community spread of the virus has completely stopped. This will most likely require some time after an effective vaccine is available. I personally see that being no earlier than spring/summer of 2021, but possibly even later. I think it is very likely APs will come back after this situation is over as it is still a viable revenue source for all the reasons discussed earlier.
Just to keep in mind, the comment (and it was only a single sentence uttered by Chapek) was on an earnings call for the quarterly report. Not a reporter asking questions, not a Disney event or press conference. It was a question asked by an investment company employee to a CEO of a company regarding spending habits of guests, and Chapek accurately answered it.

I mentioned in here last week that my monthly payment was not charged on August 13th as usual (but they did charge it in July). I did not call the pass holder line because I just didnt want to end up getting something messed up and possibly canceling the pass or other ones that are on my account. As of today they still have not taken the monthly payment but my pass is still valid as we have been to the parks twice since 8/13. I am just going to wait and let them start charging again on their own. Hope this helps.
I had a similar issue. It may be that your monthly payment contract ended in July. Our monthly payment contract ended in July and no charges were applied in August. We only made 9 of the 12 monthly payments since payments in April, May, and June were suspended. We chose to keep our APs and have the payments resume when the parks opened. I called AP payment line and we are all paid up. Contracts have been extended 147 days. We only made 9 of the 12 monthly payments ($465.75 for Gold APs) Not a bad deal at all.

...In order to reinstate normal operations and thus the full value of APs, the park reservation system would need to be retired...

I disagree that park reservations would need to be "retired", at least when it comes to the park hopping benefit of APs. I think there are several ways the park reservation system could be changed to allow for park hopping. The easiest would probably be allowing the guest to book one park, and then after entering, to check to see if there were any other parks with availability later in the day.

Everything is evolving, and will continue to do so.

We got our checks yesterday. We have the platinum passes & got $324. Our original expiration would have been December 6th. With the 30 days extra, the extension would have gone til May. We now have trips planned for March & April next year. So I was almost hoping they would have missed us & kept the extension. We’ll just put the $$ towards renewing.

Last edited:
We got our checks yesterday. We have the platinum passes & got $324. Our original expiration would have been December 6th. With the 30 days extra, the extension would have gone til May. We now have trips planned for March & April next year. So I was almost hoping they would have missed us & kept the extension. We’ll just out the $$ towards renewing.

So you did the partial refund? And you got a check for each AP? Did they come on the same day?

My DD applied for the partial for her family. Her and her DH had renewal APs. The kids had upgraded tickets to APs. We paid for the whole lot. I got the refund for the kids on my CC. About two weeks ago DD got one check for $183 (gold AP). Nothing else on my CC or any more checks to her. I just told her to send an email to ask about the second Adult AP.

So you did the partial refund? And you got a check for each AP? Did they come on the same day?

Yes, , the partial refund of the 117 days the parks were closed. It is just my DH & myself, we each got a check, mailed separately, received them both yesterday. They were paid for with Disney gift cards.

There is only one line to indicate what it is... says “WDW Annual Pass Refund”. We didn’t ask for the cancellation, just the partial. Hopefully it didn’t get screwed up & the pass will still be valid when we go in November.

Just received a $324 refund for our AP’s but we didn’t request to cancel. All of our AP’s show active until January. Our renewal certificates are there too. Are they going to automatically cancel us? Not sure what to do or who to call.

I wonder if I'll see a Tinkerbell magnet...I'm Canadian - but used family members address for shipping so I could get my Magicband..

Just received a $324 refund for our AP’s but we didn’t request to cancel. All of our AP’s show active until January. Our renewal certificates are there too. Are they going to automatically cancel us? Not sure what to do or who to call.
Did you take a partial refund?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter