ANZACs in November/December 2013... register here!

Just in the process of booking our tickets. Wow what a saga it is turning out to be.

It has been complicated by the fact I have a credit I need to use with Qantas from a cancelled business trip in 2010. One condition on the credit is I have to spend as much or more on the new tickets. So I have been able to book my tickets initially I was going to have to fly premium economy to get the price high enough to cover the credit. Apparently you can not leave any credit unused, which sounds a bit strange to me.

Anyway I was a little uncomfortable flying in premium economy whilst DW and 2 DD's flew in economy but I thought no problem I will use my points to upgrade them. DW said she had no problem if they flew economy without me but it didn't sit well with me.

So I managed Qantas flights for Melb to LA, LA to Orlando(AA Code share), Orlando to NY (AA Flight), NY to LA (Actual Qantas Flight) and LA to Melb. I was happy having been on the NY to LA Qantas flight before it is much better than a domestic US airline flight as you fly in a fully fitted out 747.

I then went to book DW tickets was told the prices I had I couldn't upgrade them. So I thought I might as well use my points to pay for some of their flights. I checked various options such as points and pay versus points only and the points only saved me over $2K more than points and pay for the same amount of points.

I booked the tickets for LA-Melb return using points, unbelievably the fees and charges still amounts to more than $2K (I had already taken that into account when comparing but still seems excessive and devalues what the points are worth).

I had the internal flights booked through TA on the same flights as I am on. He then advised he couldn't book the NY-LA flight so I had to speak to Qantas. I rang Qantas and was advised I could include NY-LA leg for DW and 2 DD's by using points (I am a little short right now) or change the Melb-LA to paid tickets. I could not use points for Melb-LA and pay for the NY-LA ticket.

I asked the ticket agent so you are telling me Qantas will not allow me to buy a ticket with cash but I can do so with points. "Yes" was his reply. :mad::mad::mad:

Now I am hunting around family members to borrow some points so I can secure the tickets. My alternative is to change my flight and book on an internal AA flight instead.

Anyway for all the hiccups the flights so far have cost me approx $3K for the 4 of us. So a little pain in the short term hopefully will result in longer term joy.

Just in the process of booking our tickets. Wow what a saga it is turning out to be.

It has been complicated by the fact I have a credit I need to use with Qantas from a cancelled business trip in 2010. One condition on the credit is I have to spend as much or more on the new tickets. So I have been able to book my tickets initially I was going to have to fly premium economy to get the price high enough to cover the credit. Apparently you can not leave any credit unused, which sounds a bit strange to me.

Anyway I was a little uncomfortable flying in premium economy whilst DW and 2 DD's flew in economy but I thought no problem I will use my points to upgrade them. DW said she had no problem if they flew economy without me but it didn't sit well with me.

So I managed Qantas flights for Melb to LA, LA to Orlando(AA Code share), Orlando to NY (AA Flight), NY to LA (Actual Qantas Flight) and LA to Melb. I was happy having been on the NY to LA Qantas flight before it is much better than a domestic US airline flight as you fly in a fully fitted out 747.

I then went to book DW tickets was told the prices I had I couldn't upgrade them. So I thought I might as well use my points to pay for some of their flights. I checked various options such as points and pay versus points only and the points only saved me over $2K more than points and pay for the same amount of points.

I booked the tickets for LA-Melb return using points, unbelievably the fees and charges still amounts to more than $2K (I had already taken that into account when comparing but still seems excessive and devalues what the points are worth).

I had the internal flights booked through TA on the same flights as I am on. He then advised he couldn't book the NY-LA flight so I had to speak to Qantas. I rang Qantas and was advised I could include NY-LA leg for DW and 2 DD's by using points (I am a little short right now) or change the Melb-LA to paid tickets. I could not use points for Melb-LA and pay for the NY-LA ticket.

I asked the ticket agent so you are telling me Qantas will not allow me to buy a ticket with cash but I can do so with points. "Yes" was his reply. :mad::mad::mad:

Now I am hunting around family members to borrow some points so I can secure the tickets. My alternative is to change my flight and book on an internal AA flight instead.

Anyway for all the hiccups the flights so far have cost me approx $3K for the 4 of us. So a little pain in the short term hopefully will result in longer term joy.

What a saga! They sure do make things hard for their FF members, don't they? :headache:

They sure do Marlea.

I spoke to Qantas again yesterday and I now don't even have the option of using points as there are no seats on the flight and very unlikely to be according to the service representative due to the time of the year.

He did offer to cancel my points booking for the return flight and I could pay for a one way flight all the way NY-LA-Melb @ $1700 per person. Thanks but no thanks.

So I resigned myself to cancelling my Qantas NY-LA flight and all of us flying AA instead. I was then told my NY-LA flight was part of the whole ticket and can cannot be cancelled. If I did I had to pay a cancellation and re-booking fees. All I could do at this stage was to :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

So I spoke to DW last night to explain our options that she and the girls fly NY-LA without me and we meet there an hour or so later or I try to rebook everything and pay more fees. DW agreed to fly back to LA with the girls. So I think we are all done now except for booking accommodation in NY.

Frustrating thing was I was willing to pay for the NY-LA fare but wasn't allowed to do that.

I can not figure out what Qantas have made it so hard to get an upgrade. We booked early this week and then find out you need to spend another $2,500 to have the chance to get the upgrade. It confirms we will book the internal flights with AA and pay the extra for first class on the flights from Orlando to Honolulu. On the AA flight we then get free luggage and checkin at the resort.

Might find the business class section is empty on the next flight!

Hi - first post here ! I have been a lurker for awhile, but thought I would put it down that we are HOPING to get to Disneyland from the 10th Nov - 14th Nov. Our kids ( we have triplets) will be turning 6 on the 12th November, so what better way to spend your 6th Birthday at Disneyland !!! We will be in the USA from 1st Nov - 15th Nov, visiting San Fran where we have family and also country California to see some close friends. So a quick trip, but a quick trip can be a good one - usually :)

mumoftriplets said:
Hi - first post here ! I have been a lurker for awhile, but thought I would put it down that we are HOPING to get to Disneyland from the 10th Nov - 14th Nov. Our kids ( we have triplets) will be turning 6 on the 12th November, so what better way to spend your 6th Birthday at Disneyland !!! We will be in the USA from 1st Nov - 15th Nov, visiting San Fran where we have family and also country California to see some close friends. So a quick trip, but a quick trip can be a good one - usually :)

Welcome. Wow, triplets! You are so lucky. I always wished for twins as they run in our family but it seems I missed out both times. Enjoy your trip.

I will lock you in... maybe it will help plans come into fruition ;) pixiedust:

Booked our AA flight first class from Orlando to Honolulu via Dallas.

Confirmed arriving at the Boardwalk 13th December and leaving 16th January. Thought we would leave a day earlier to avoid the public holiday weekend and the fares were also cheaper. Staying three nights at Aulani on the way home and arrive home on the 20th.

Just changed our booking today.

We have removed park tickets from our DL and WDW and added Premier Pass tickets instead.

We now have access to all the parks plus discounts on food, drinks and merchandise. Hopefully later in the year they will announce the AP discounts on accommodation which will save us up to another 35%. :yay::yay::yay:

International flights and connections booked and paid for, just waiting to do the 3 or so other domestic internal flights which should be finalised tomorrow.

Accommodation is booked, just waiting for Southwest to release their November fares and I'm all organised. 5 nights in San Francisco at Hotel Vertigo and 3 in Anaheim at Del Sol Inn. I'm planning on the early morning flight to Santa Ana that gets in just after 9am so I can leave my bags at the hotel and head straight to the parks!

All of our internal flights are booked and now I've got to save up more money for some more accommodation bookings :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oooh I need to check internal flights again and see if our preferred airlines have opened up.

In the meantime, we changed our accommodation about a week ago for DL from Paradise Pier to the villas at Grand Californian Hotel. Yippee! Looking forward to having toaster & sink etc for making breakfast easy, and checking out the hotel over Christmas :D

How's our planning going, Christmas travellers? Let me know if you want any updates on the front page :)

After reading a few trip reports over the weekend, we have made some decisions about the "unallocated" middle week of our trip, I wasn't sure if we should do a whole week at NY or split it up between a couple of cities. Decided to go just with NY - there's so much to do and we might as well get lots of it done, we can do other cities properly on other trips. I added an extra night to WDW and reduced our NY stay to seven nights rather than eight, mainly because the first Saturday night we could do was coming up as insanely expensive - maybe there's something on in NY that weekend. I was able to add an extra night and two extra park hopper days to our WDW stay for $200 less than I could do that Saturday night in NY, lol. And seven nights will be just fine.

Seeing other people's pictures of the Northern Hemisphere cold has got me grabbing my knitting needles too, I plan to have a stash of warm beanies and scarves for everyone by the time we go, lol! It's a great way to get excited about the trip right now :D

We are only doing about 4 nights in NYC as the time and budget doesn't allow for more on this trip. One day we'll be back for longer :)

We are traveling 11/30 - 12/7.....myself, boyfriend, kids 7 and 13, staying at WL and also trying to the Richard Petty Exotic driving experience this time around (boyfriend is anyway).

Donna

Hi

count us in please. We fly into LA on the 5th December and leave the USA on the 5th January.

We are driving up the PCH from LA-SF after a week at DL and then are debating a week in SF or NYC, then 6 nights in either Santa Monica, LA or San Diego.

We were planning to stay home over Christmas but then those Qantas emails and fare prices I just cannot resist jumped into my inbox.

I am looking so forward to seeing the USA at Christmas time, Halloween was amazing, Christmas will be deliciously spectacular I am sure!

V

We are traveling 11/30 - 12/7.....myself, boyfriend, kids 7 and 13, staying at WL and also trying to the Richard Petty Exotic driving experience this time around (boyfriend is anyway).

Donna

Hi

count us in please. We fly into LA on the 5th December and leave the USA on the 5th January.

We are driving up the PCH from LA-SF after a week at DL and then are debating a week in SF or NYC, then 6 nights in either Santa Monica, LA or San Diego.

We were planning to stay home over Christmas but then those Qantas emails and fare prices I just cannot resist jumped into my inbox.

I am looking so forward to seeing the USA at Christmas time, Halloween was amazing, Christmas will be deliciously spectacular I am sure!

V

Welcome fellow Christmas'ers :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter