Anyone walk the Castaway Cay 5K?

patron4806

Mouseketeer
I am on an April 11-14 Magic Bahamas cruise and was considering walking the 5K. Has anyone done this? How long did it take you? I am not talking about a leisurely walk, closer to a power walk, but due to bad knees I am unable to run it. Also, are they still giving out the metals at the end? I know kids can not officially enter to run/walk it unless 12 years old and up, but are they allowed to walk it with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
:worship:

I did the CC 5k last year and there were lots of walkers...I did it using Jeff Galloway's 5k program, walking and running in one minute intervals, it took me 44 mins including stopping at the water stations along the way...CMs were at the finish with the Mickey medals. It was a great experience for my first 5k effort.
have a great time,
Peach

I keep debating this too. I have had 3 knee surgeries (by age 30). I can't run long but I can do long times. I just don't want to be exhausted the rest of the day.

Do they have a cut off time? I had foot surgery last month but really want to get the mickey medal so would like to walk it. I would be more in the 55 min range because of my foot.

Do they have a cut off time? I had foot surgery last month but really want to get the mickey medal so would like to walk it. I would be more in the 55 min range because of my foot.
I ran castaway cay 5K last week on disney magic. I saw people doing power walk.
Cutoff age for children to walk was 10.

Our CM told when you come back if they are not there , medals will be delivered to your stateroom. There is no cutoff time as such.

I just did the 5K on Sunday, there were plenty of walkers, if the castmembers aren't still at the finish line when you're done, they've got a list of the Stateroom numbers, and they'll send your medal to your stateroom. Just be prepared, it's likely to be very hot and humid.

That's good news! That way if my foot starts hurting I can slow down and just take my time. Silly, but I want that medal!

I walked the 5K last year. I walked it in 52 minutes. When I crossed the finish line, they were out of medals and told me it would be delivered to my stateroom. Never happened but I didn't really care. Then last Friday I was supposed to walk it again but the Fantasy couldn't dock due to bad weather so I didn't get to do it. Rebooked for next year and I'll try again! Lots of people walk it. Some fast, some not so fast. It's a great walk!!:banana:

Actually we were just off the Magic a few weeks ago and they had the 5K listed in the navigator but also a 'power walk' as well. The walk was listed to start after the 5k run.
I think they have a lot of walkers and are separating them out. Great idea if you ask me :)

I was the only walker when I did it. It took me a little under 45 minutes, and the CMs were still there when I crossed. It was REALLY hot and humid (our cruise was the first week in July), and it took a while to "recover" but it was worth doing. Disney medals are my motivation- just did the Tink 10K in January (jog/walk) and am now aiming for the Avenger's Half in November.

It was fun, and no one made me feel uncomfortable at all about walking the 5K vs. running.

I am on an April 11-14 Magic Bahamas cruise and was considering walking the 5K. Has anyone done this? How long did it take you? I am not talking about a leisurely walk, closer to a power walk, but due to bad knees I am unable to run it. Also, are they still giving out the metals at the end? I know kids can not officially enter to run/walk it unless 12 years old and up, but are they allowed to walk it with me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
:worship:

When I ran the 5k a couple of days ago they made it pretty clear that it was for runners they said if you want to walk they suggest doing something different… I
"ran" it in 32 minutes and they were still there but I would not run if you are going to take more than 45 minutes IMO thats a very gracious amount of time for a 5k and I would respect that they are asking for people to run :thumbsup2

*Not trying to be rude but I think the 5k is a lot of fun and think we should respect DCL wanting to keep it a run!

When I ran the 5k a couple of days ago they made it pretty clear that it was for runners they said if you want to walk they suggest doing something different… I
"ran" it in 32 minutes and they were still there but I would not run if you are going to take more than 45 minutes IMO thats a very gracious amount of time for a 5k and I would respect that they are asking for people to run :thumbsup2

*Not trying to be rude but I think the 5k is a lot of fun and think we should respect DCL wanting to keep it a run!

Did you happen to notice in the navigator though about the separate one for walking? I am just wondering if it was only on the Magic or if it is on all ships.
I think that is the best of both worlds, to have both a walking and running opportunity.

I "ran" the CC5K last month.

Long story short (since I've already talked about it in the really, really, really extensive CC5K thread), I started a C25K program in the fall, found that I couldn't even jog for a minute, but wanted to prove to myself that if I put my mind to it, I could complete the run.

Even though I was slow as molasses, over the course of about 3 months, I went from zero to being able to jog the entire 5K. Even if it did take me 46:08 to finish, I refused to slow down to a walk (even if 'my' jog was someone else's walking speed).

When I crossed the finish line, there were still people behind me (although not many), and the Cast Members were still there to sign me in and give me my Mickey medal.

Did you happen to notice in the navigator though about the separate one for walking? I am just wondering if it was only on the Magic or if it is on all ships.
I think that is the best of both worlds, to have both a walking and running opportunity.

To my knowledge its the same for all ships, they did not have a walking group but that would be a really great idea!

It is paved most of the way there are some shells on the course too for a point your on an air strip actually, I ran it barefoot I run barefoot exclusively and it was a little tough on my feet but I'd do it again :)

Just so you know its about a mile walk to the start line too I thought it would be good to mention :thumbsup2

I just comets the cc5k (my first one ever) on feb 18. The cast members remain on course and at finish line for 1 hour. As long as you get it do e by then, someone will be there to meet you.

On Sunday March 9th, the crowd for the 5K was huge, there was never any suggestion that you should not do it if you were not going to run it. There were a lot of walkers, many of whom I'm pretty sure were participating in their first 5K.

I plan on walking as fast as I can to complete it. The distance doesn't bother me. I know I can do it. But I can't run. Might be able to jog in short bursts, but I don't plan on killing myself.

I've done several of the Disney races - 1 10k, 3 half marathons and 1 whole marathon in the past. Normally the 5k would not be a problem but since I started having problems with my foot last summer, I've been pretty stationary. I had to have surgery the end of Dec. and have just received clearance to start walking distances but have been told I need to go at it slowly. A Disney medal motivates me and I've yet to have Disney differentiate between walkers and runners. I just wanted to know if they "close" the course at a certain point. Knowing they'll be there for an hour makes me confident. Like I said, under normal circumstances, the length of time wouldn't be an issue even walking. I know this time I need to slow it down. Even though I can go faster, I shouldn't this time.

Thank you all for the information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!