Anyone walk the Castaway Cay 5K?

I just wanted to know if they "close" the course at a certain point. Knowing they'll be there for an hour makes me confident.

They don't "close" the course - in fact, especially on the airstrip portion of the 5k, you will encounter cruise passengers who aren't running the 5k who are walking, cycling or riding the tram. The only difference is that you will be wearing a race bib and they won't be.

Theoretically, the runners are the first ones off of the ship, but that isn't always the case and, even if they are, other passengers will shortly follow and they will have as much access to the course as the run participants.

And yes, there is something special about getting that stupid little plastic Mickey head...

I attempted it last year, however with my feet as bad as they are (planters fascitious and bad knee's) I managed to finish a 2.5 and then helped the CM's pass out water at the water station while my friend finished. I felt bad, the medal was sent to our room later though. I did tell them they didn't have to give me one, and they said I attempted it, what more could they ask for. The first person finished that trip was a 12 yo girl training for track at school.

We are a Girl Scout troop (girls are aged 16-19) traveling and have a special needs girl with us that really wants to do it (she's our 19 year old). I know without a doubt she can't do the whole 3 miles but for her, half of that is like doing a marathon. I'm going to make sure with a CM but am going to have one of the other girls come back after finishing and cut off some of the route so she can finish. Truly half of that is a HUGE accomplishment for her. If the CMs have a problem, then I'll sit out with her. She's an amazing young lady that struggles every day and really deserves to feel the sense of accomplishment. Now the rest that are able-bodied, they will hoof the whole route or they have me to contend with!!!!

My husband jokes that we walked the 5K because we walked all the way from the ship to Serenity Bay. He wanted a t-shirt!

I did not see this mentioned, but I made my tween run it on New Year's Eve. The cast members at Edge told them how to cheat the course and they finished pretty early. It has a loop that you are supposed to run two times. My kids ran it only once and returned to the finish line People in first who ran the whole course kept trying to figure out where these kids had come from. While both my kids are very athletic they told me vacation was not for running. They both wanted t-shirts though to which I obliged. I just added at 2. before the 5.

Oh, that's what I'm going to have our special needs girl do! She won't even realize she shorted it by not doing the extra loop and will feel she beat me then! Thank you for the idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter