Anyone seen the PDA's?

larworth

DIS Veteran
From Screamscape:
A Screamscape spy tells us that diners visiting the restaurants in Canada and the UK have been testing some kind of new wireless PDA system. Instead of being handed a pager while waiting for their table to be ready, they are given a Compaq Ipaq device to play with. In addition to some fun elements (games?) the guests can look up the whole menu in advance on the system, including the daily specials, as well as some cross promtions to recient films, shopping locations and park tips. The reviews in so far are fantastic and it’s involved a PerCap increase at the two restaurants so they are planning to roll out the system to the other Epcot restaurants. The weird thing is that this test has given them an all new idea... to hand out PDAs to guests waiting in long queues. If the rumors are true Disney is working with a major sponsor to conduct a test trial of using the PDAs in a long ride queue to entertain the guests sometime in March or April. If this works out you may see them eventually hook up similar wireless devices to the park’s FastPass network as well
When describing "Destination Disney" they mentioned a greater use of wireless technology. Wonder if this is the beginning

We ate at the restaurant in Canada in late December, they were using the iPAQ's then. The kids thought they were great to play the trivia games and it was nice to see the menu ahead of time, sure made the short wait go by quickly. I hope it is true that all the restaurants at Epcot are going to use a similar device.

We were also give one while waiting for a table at Le Cellier. It was definitely a nice way to pass the time. Had a facts and games section. They could definitely put more content on the PDA but I'm sure that will come as they are implemented.

We also had one while waiting for dinner in Canada back in December. I think they could do lots with them. It was a cool little diversion, but more content would really make them fantastic.

Since Compaq is sponsering a certin ride at Epcot, I think we'll see them there at first. But remember...

When ever you give something to somebody else, expcet the worse. A down posite would be a good idea. I am the county that uses the iBooks, and let me tell you, I've seen it all. Kids would take red marker and draw all over them!

This is interesting because I believe LeCellier is run by an operating participant instead of WDW. It makes me wonder who paid the bill for these IPaqs. It could have been WDW, Compaq, or the operating participant that runs the restaurant. I remember wondering that same thing last time I ate their and I assumed it was the restaurant since it was not used anywhere else.

We were given an ipaq at la cellier in Jan., but it kept getting stuck.

DR

I seem to remember that the device we were given at Rose and Crown last November was a Palm Pilot (don't remember which one).

Now that I think about it - the gizmo had a color screen which is somewhat rare on a Palm device - maybe it was an IPAQ?...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter